The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fencing tool in a nice leather case?

Where can I buy a good little fencing tool in a nice leather case for the front of the saddle? I've watched Ebay, but they're few and far between, and/or naaasty quality.

Do you mean wire cutters ? http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/

http://www.horsecountrylife.com/cata...009/cover.html

Recently some old Swaine Adeneys sold on ebay for 84 pounds.

Unless you need a traditional one for an appointments class, you'd be better off with one of these; http://leatherman.factoryoutletstore...Fdhi2godW2sEIg
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I have wire cutters that affix to saddle. And a multi tool that affixes to belt (Leatherman equivalent purchased at K Mart, though come to think, lost that one on a trail ride this summer, must put on Xmas wish list...).

Even before the Leatherman, I never encountered a fencing issue out hunting that could not be fixed by wire cutters, baling twine, or duct tape, or some combination thererof. Recognizing of course that temporary fixes must be made permanent by the hunt, for the landowner, asap after hunting.

I use a Leatherman tool that I bought at Bass Pro. It's a Multi- purpose tool. Very small and useful, small, nice leather case.

My biggest concern while hunting is my horse being entrapped, nit fixing fence. I've had a major entanglement, thank goodness my horses ar taught to hobble. My horse had all fours trapped in buried barbed wire and he stood for probably 20 minutes while I cut him out.
    I also used to hunt on a military base where concertina wire was a huge issue. That's where I first started carrying sharp cutters and training my horses to stand hobbled.

I got a kickass Leatherman at Gander Mountain. It was about $100, so not a run of the mill Leatherman. It has a wire cutter on it that will cut "stranded wire" and i have used it at least twice that I can recall right now to cut other peoples horses out of wire, since they were unprepared. And it is small enough that I can wear it on my belt, which I prefer. I would hate if we got hung up, I got unhorsed or couldn't get back to her to get it off the saddle to cut her/us free.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I carry "Baby Bolt Cutters" http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-3386-8-...9617027&sr=1-9 and they slice through barb wire like a warm knife in butter. Bartville Harness made me a case.

Our whips are more likely to hit wire than the field but it is out there in our territory. One whips horse is three weeks post wire injury.
    Last edited by SLW; Nov. 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: a

Default Clever with Leather

Romany,
    SimpsoMatt gave me the name of the place that made his handsome flask carrier that he shows on the other thread.

http://cleverwithleather.com
    You probably need to choose the cutters first. I liked her workmanship and cleverness. She is in Ky and goes to Rolex.

I bought a flask case from Dover last year. The leather case was cheap and came with the option of not buying a flask. So instead of alcohol, I carry bolt cutters, a pocket knife, and some baling string for emergency fixes. If it were a tad bigger, I'd try to put some vet wrap in there as well.

I realize that carrying a flask case with no flask will put a serious crimp in the style of some people.

I had to use my Leatherman tool today to take a big hunk of Cholla cactus out of my gelding's face. Poor guy! About 60 stickers worth!
    I love the pliers, screwdrivers and knife that come on that tool. Plus, it's so small, you hardly even see it on my breast collar.

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    http://cleverwithleather.com
    You probably need to choose the cutters first.
    If you send her the cutters she'll make the carrier to fit?

Cuz I'm likin' those baby bolt cutters.

Some of our territory is filled with wire and though I can usually cut it with my wire cutters or leatherman - some of the stuff is pretty thick. Might be nice to be able to cut through the thick stuff fast, especially if the horse isn't being cooperative.

Doc - just the description of the cactus made me cringe. Poor horse! What on earth do you do if a person lands on that stuff?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks for all the useful suggestions!

Good point - we already have a fairly substantial collection of Leatherman tools, and I even corresponded briefly with them a couple of years ago about having a Leatherman that would be specifically for the use of horse people.

Anyway, back to the question...I was more looking for one of those more traditional little leather cases that buckle to the front of the saddle, and hold wire-cutters. Not for an appointments class, but for a husband who has every other toy and I thought this would appeal to him for Christmas.

I'll contact Clever Leather - she does have some lovely belts n stuff!