The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Horsey gift for my 8 month old neice

I want to corrupt my brothers child and groom her into a horse crazy kid. I figure it can't hurt to start early.

But in all seriousness, is there anything cute and horse related that I can get for Christmas, that she can play with? I'm a non-motherly sort (tho I adore my little neice). I don't have a CLUE when it comes to kid stuff.

There's a unicorn version of the PillowPets that is awfully cute. You could get a rocking horse (my little one loved hers), but your niece might have to grow into it.

Stateline used to have a line of ADORABLE stuffies, saw a bunch of cute ones at TSC, too the other day. I think they were even Breyers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Get her a pony, the ultimate horse gift for a kid.

Stuffed animal plus a copy of the Black Stallion for mom and dad to read to her. So what if it's going to be way past her reading level for years. When they're infants it doesn't matter what you say to them as long as you say it in a nice voice.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
    Stuffed animal plus a copy of the Black Stallion for mom and dad to read to her. So what if it's going to be way past her reading level for years. When they're infants it doesn't matter what you say to them as long as you say it in a nice voice.
    Arent there cute pony DvDs?
    GNU Terry Prachett

My nephews are 24 months and 8 months old and I've been indoctrinating them since the womb....'horse' was the oldests 5th word. All it has taken are some horsey Disney movies, some stick horses from the dollar store, a plush breyer doll and a Breyers 3 pack! I send my BIL youtube videos of mutton racing, and pictures of mini horses...just so that he knows what is in store for his children!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

don't forget to check out www.wildhorsefeathers.com, horsey shopping for horse crazy kids!!!!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I turned all of my nieces into horse crazy kids. And my daughter, at 2 1/2, seems to be following suit (anytime I try to talk about my pony to anyone she has a tantrum and makes me tell them that Chico is HER pony).

But it's worthless to even try with an 8 month old. You've got another 18-24 months before the horsey "bribes" can really get started. So I say save your money, get a cheap (in $$ not quality) stuffed animal horse or horse-covered-onesie or PJs and call it good for another year or so.

You could get her a trust fund, so that she will be able to afford to ride. ;-)

Mostly kidding.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    You could get her a trust fund, so that she will be able to afford to ride. ;-)

Mostly kidding.

LOL, now THAT is an idea!
    and should she - all of our combined efforts to spite - turn out non-horsy she'll have money fore college...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Someone gave my son this little stuffed horse: http://www.douglascuddletoy.com/dyn_...ckskin%20Horse when he was about that age, and he still has it, and will not sleep with out it. Oh, and did I mention he was EIGHT?!?! It's a perfect size to tote around, and hug, it's cheap, and obviously holds up well to lots of washing. Of course the poor horse has no eyes, hardly any stuffing and no mane or tail, but he is still very much loved.

Get her a daddle!! It's a fun gift for your niece, and a way to torment your brother!!

http://www.amazon.com/Cashel-DADDLE-.../dp/B002WVJA5G

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Get her a daddle!! It's a fun gift for your niece, and a way to torment your brother!!

http://www.amazon.com/Cashel-DADDLE-.../dp/B002WVJA5G
    HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA
    GNU Terry Prachett

Not sure what your budget is, but:
    http://rockimals.com/rocking_horse_for_toddlers.htm
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Well, since the baby is way to young to understand any of this, why don't you REALLY annoy your relatives and get her a pony

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Someone gave my son this little stuffed horse: http://www.douglascuddletoy.com/dyn_...ckskin%20Horse when he was about that age, and he still has it, and will not sleep with out it. Oh, and did I mention he was EIGHT?!?! It's a perfect size to tote around, and hug, it's cheap, and obviously holds up well to lots of washing. Of course the poor horse has no eyes, hardly any stuffing and no mane or tail, but he is still very much loved.
    HEY I resent the negative remarks toward those of us who cherish our childhood friends!!

I still have my old buddy from (almost) back then...one eye missing, no hair and many holes lovingly mended (sort of) by myself! 42 years and counting!

(seems like she needs a Steiff horse, but I don't know if they still make them THAT good)
    GNU Terry Prachett

Got this for my own litter girl before she was born. http://www.theoriginalhorsetackcompa...uctCode=BY4652 She is almost 3 and still plays with it. She loves the FAO Schwartz horse my mom got her though.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Thanks for all of the laughs! You guys have some great ideas. So I think I'm going to get a couple stuffed animal ponies (I still have my puffalump? I think it's called) and some other small gift, and next year will be the cute rocking horse and daddle. Following that...pony?

Fisher Price makes a really cute plush pink horse rocking horse. Its really cute. She might not be ready for it yet but she should be soon.

Maybe a child-size helmet for impending pony rides? I think my DD was about 2 when I got her first helmet. They make REALLY cute ones that have ponies on the side of them - check dover.

Carter's always has clothing that says "I love ponies" or something similar. I got a few cute outfits for DD from them that were pony themed.