The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ok, you knew a Jack Russell would try

Jack Russell chases mountain lion up a tree

Owner says the tiny dog probably "figured it was just a cat"

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...gar/index.html

Crazy dog!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Color me not surprised.

Although many folks are amazed when overconfident pets get aggressive with wildlife and the wildlife backs down or runs away.

A lot of predators aren't used to having something chase them aggressively and they freak out.

It's kinda what weasels base their chutzpah on.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Only sorry the lion didn't have sense enough to just run off. Those little dogs do have a big pair of brass ones, don't they?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

My neighbor's JRTs treed a black bear. I have every confidence mine would try to do the same, but prefer to hope the bears, and that cougar I saw 2 weeks ago, stay elsewhere.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

LOL After dealing with Jacks for many years NOTHING surprises me with them anymore. Gotta love that terrier tenacity in such a compact, focused being. I actually knew one that would run on the walls, open doors, and could walk the ceiling when he was feeling special. Res mom... bears? oh my! Can't imagine a horse's reaction to a bear.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Not really surprized at all. Mine thinks he's the biggest dog on the planet!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Funny how the expert figures the cat just wasn't hungry enough to go after the dog. As someone who has lived with a Yorkie from hell, I have to mention that it's HARD to actually get hold of something that small - there's a lot less to grab, kick, etc. The cat probably would have found a Lab easier to attack. And it is unnerving to have something that small go after you - like having a squirrel give you the finger.

My aged Beagle chased off a LARGE Coyote the other morning. I was terrified and laughing. There she went across my hay field, in her little orange don't-shoot-me-I'm-not-a-deer jacket, BAYOOOing to beat the band, her little tail up over her back, nipping at the heels of a very big, fluffy, healthy Coyote. He could have gobbled her down in 2 bites.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

That does not surprise me either. I believe it! We've had JRT's for 20 years now. We are taking our younger dogs for an outing to the Shenandoah Nat. Park next weekend and they will not be off a leash. I can only imagine them tangling with a bear.

One JRT I know of years ago got in a fight with an aggressive Pit Bull that came after him while his owner was walking him on a leash. He put the Pit Bull in the hospital with a bite to the head that fractured his skull.

Never underestimate a JRT.

My 11 lb JRT has chased wild boars, but is afraid of regular old kitty cats

My JRT made a habit of chasing bears. Once he took off after one into the swamp across the road, and since it was spring and I wasn't sure if the bear had cubs, I opted to go after the dog on horseback. Took me 2 1/2 hours to chase the little $#@%*&@! down and capture him. Fortunately, no bears where I live now.

JRTs look in the mirror and see a St. Bernard.

Not a mtn lion or bear but a few years ago I saw a fox hightailing out of my fenced in backyard. Maybe he/she thought it could snag a bird or chippie munching on bird feed. Well, Mr/Ms fox was on the move with my 6 lb black cat on it's heels. Never saw that fox again. Maybe it thought my kitty was a black panther.

"JRTs look in the mirror and see a St. Bernard"

More likely they see a lion! I have a 14 year old and just got a puppy, thinking I need my head examined, but it is a fun journey........
    Canadian, eh?

Yeah, Terriers just think they are Rottweilers dressed up like small dogs. However, I was saddened that the cougar was killed. It was entirely unnecessary in my opinion. They sometimes get out of their territory or whatever. He didn't attack anyone, why not just allow him to go. Sometimes these owners get as macho as their dogs!
    Pennyg

Have a Jack. Love my Jack. He's all over anything. Except Muscovy ducks. The ducks surround and gang up on him. He's not too sure about that. When you're surrounded by 22 ducks it's kind of intimidating. But he will kick anyone else's a$$.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

My parents had a JRT and she was after something up a tree when they lived up in the sticks (just moved back to town this year). Dad went out to check it out, then came back and in and got my mom. Said he had a kitty cat to show her. My mom wasn't too happy to be standing under the tree, looking up and seeing a bobcat. Dad seemed to think it was pretty funny.

We just got a JRT puppy and I've determined that we can probably cancel our satellite tv. Much more entertaining to watch the pup and her antics!

I have a feeling my Cairn would try the same thing with a mountain lion in our backyard. He thinks he's a badass, all 15 lbs. of him.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post

We just got a JRT puppy and I've determined that we can probably cancel our satellite tv. Much more entertaining to watch the pup and her antics!
    Don't cancel the satellite. Mine loves to watch TV!! I've never had an animal that watched TV before. Dog shows and animal planet are his fav

I had one that loved to bark at himself in the mirror

My Jack got away from me yesterday while on a hike, and thought he would take on a Pit Bull. Thankfully, I recaptured the Jack before anything could happen. Quite the Napoleon complex with these dogs....
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~