The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Classic Eventing Guest

Default Training, Novice & Beg Novice 3-Day Update

We are on our final countdown for our event next week. I am sending out the updated schedule for everyone to see. We have a few entry spots left if anyone is interested. It's going to be a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear 3-Day Event Competitors,

We are so excited to be hosting our Inaugural 3-Day Event and the first 3-day event that offers Training, Novice AND Beginner Novice in the long format. Please take the time to read this letter as it will walk you through the schedule and what will be expected of you as a 3-day event competitor. I’m hoping it might answer any question you may have but if not, please don’t hesitate to contact me. We have established a great team at Southern Eighths Farm and we are looking forward to having you as our guests.

THURSDAY, November 18th and FRIDAY, November 19th
    Thursday the barns will only be open for In-barn inspection from 3:30 – 7:00pm
    Friday the barns will only be open for In-barn inspection from 8:00 – 12:00pm
    3:30 – 7:00 PM: MANDATORY “IN-BARN” INSPECTION
    The “In-barn” inspection is mandatory and must be done with a vet present to ensure your horse has arrived with no temperature or other symptoms of shipping fever. Your horse must be presented to the vet before your horse enters the stables and the vet will talk to you about your horses’ history, issues and what blemishes they might have which should be considered normal for your horse. They will take the horses’ temperature, pulse and respiration and could possibly be asked to jog. The vets will be set up in the stabling area and we ask you have your horse seen by them BEFORE you go to your stall. If you are unable to arrive within the outlines timeframe, please call me so we can make arrangements for the vets to meet you when you do arrive.
    FRIDAY, November 19th
    9:30 – 10:30: EDUCATIONAL – ROADS & TRACKS RIDE ALONG
    You will gather at the Start of Phase A by the Guest Barn area mounted. You will be taken for a ride through the actual Roads & Tracks courses so you can become familiar with the facility and where you need to go. You may ask questions, get help with your time cards and learn how to strategize your Roads & Tracks ride to prepare yourself for a confident Steeplechase and Cross-country experience.
    10:30 – 11:30: EDUCATIONAL – TRAINING & NOVICE STEEPLECHASE CLINIC
    Dom Schramm, one of the two new resident trainers for Southern Eighths Farm from Australia, will work with you and your horse to help you achieve the ultimate pace and plan so that you will be able ride steeplechase with confidence and efficiency.
    10:30 – 11:30: EDUCATIONAL – BEGINNER NOVICE STEEPLECHASE CLINIC
    Jimmie Schramm, our second new resident trainer for Southern Eighths Farm from Texas, will work with you and your horse to help you achieve the ultimate pace and plan so that you will be able ride steeplechase with confidence and efficiency.

12:00 – 12:30: EDUCATIONAL – 10-MINUTE BOX, D-BOX WALK THROUGH CLINIC
    Dr. Debbie Williamson, our competition vet, will talk you through what needs to happen in this area; B-Assistance, possible C-Halt, 10-minute box, and D-box. This should clear up a lot of confusion so please come with your questions ready.
    12:30: EDUCATIONAL – TRAINING CROSS-COUNTRY COURSE WALK
    Tremaine Cooper, our cross-country course designer, is going to walk your course with you and explain his theory behind his design which will allow you to understand all the questions the course is asking.
    1:15: EDUCATIONAL – NOVICE CROSS-COUNTRY COURSE WALK
    Tremaine Cooper, our cross-country course designer, is going to walk your course with you and explain his theory behind his design which will allow you to understand all the questions the course is asking.
    1:50: EDUCATIONAL – BEGINNER NOVICE CROSS-COUNTRY COURSE WALK
    2:30 – 3:30: EDUCATIONAL – LEG CARE CLINIC
    Jimmie Schramm will share with you helpful tips on how to properly care for your horses legs after a long format competition. She will clarify the why and when to ice, poltice, or dry-bandaging your horse so he will feel fresh on Sunday morning for his jog.
    3:30 – 4:30: EDUCATIONAL – HORSE INSPECTION CLINIC
    Let Dom and Jimmie give you a quick lesson on the proper way to present your horse to the Event Officials and jog your horse like a professional. They will teach you everything you need to know before it’s your turn to present your horse.
    4:00 – 4:45: MANDATORY FIRST HORSE INSPECTION
    This will be a formal jog where you will present your horse to the event officials. Braiding is optional but preferred with nice clothing (no heels). Usually a bridle is used in lieu of a halter as it gives you more control. You will walk your horse to the ground jury, we will have a plant on either side of the jog lane to show you where to stop and stand at your horses head while the officials inspect the horse. They will then ask you to jog your horse. It’ best to walk the horse for a few step, then jog the horse nice and forward on a loose rein to the end of the jog lane, walk before you try and turn about the plants and then jog back past your officials, halt and then walk away.
    6:00: MANDATORY RIDERS MEET & GREET
    This is a mandatory meeting and everyone is invited. First we will have an official Rider’s Meeting where we will introduce the officials and staff. Official ride times will be given out at this meeting. Remember, all schedules you have seen up to the time after the 1st Horse Inspection are provisional! The officials will cover the schedule for the competition, a few rules and directive’s they would like for you to follow and then you are welcome to ask any and all questions you might have. This will be followed by a simple Wine and Cheese Party (we will have water and soda as well) so everyone can meet.
    SATURDAY, November 20th
    Your official ride times are the ones given out at the Riders Meeting Friday night!
    8:00 – 10:00: TRAINING DRESSAGE IN ARENA 1
    Training riders will be riding the Training 3-Day Event Test in the large arena. You will be riding in a turf arena and grass studs are recommended.
    8:00 – 9:30: NOVICE DRESSAGE IN ARENA 2
    Novice riders will be riding the Novice Test A in the small arena. You will be riding in a turf arena and grass studs are recommended.
    10:00 – 11:30: NOVICE DRESSAGE IN ARENA 2
    Beginner Novice riders will be riding the Beginner Novice Test A in the small arena. You will be riding in a turf arena and grass studs are recommended.
    11:30: PHASE A WILL START
    11:43: PHASE B WILL START
    11:46: PHASE C WILL START
    12:00: SHOW JUMPING COURSE OPEN FOR WALKING and will be set for Training
    12:09: TRAINING XC WILL START
    1:24: NOVICE XC WILL START
    2:35: BEGINNER NOVICE XC WILL START
    3:35: LAST HORSE ON COURSE
    SUNDAY, APRIL 20th
    9:00: MANDATORY 3rd HORSE INSPECTION
    This will be a formal jog where you will present your horse to the event officials. Braiding is optional but preferred with nice clothing (no heels). Usually a bridle is used in lieu of a halter as it gives you more control. You will walk your horse to the ground jury, we will have a plant on either side of the jog lane to show you where to stop and stand at your horses head while the officials inspect the horse. They will then ask you to jog your horse. It’ best to walk the horse for a few step, then jog the horse nice and forward on a loose rein to the end of the jog lane, walk before you try and turn about the plants and then jog back past your officials, halt and then walk away.
    10:30: TRAINING SHOW JUMPING
    Training Show Jumping begins and will go in reverse order of standings. Order of go will be posted in the barn Saturday afternoon. Awards will be given at the end of each division, the course will be re-set for the next level and briefly open for walking.
    11:30: NOVICE SHOW JUMPING
    Novice Show Jumping begins and will go in reverse order of standings. Order of go will be posted in the barn Saturday afternoon. . Awards will be given at the end of each division, the course will be re-set for the next level and briefly open for walking.

12:30: BEGINNER NOVICE SHOW JUMPING
    Beginner Novice Show Jumping will go in reverse order of standing. Order of go will be posted in the barn Saturday afternoon. . Awards will be given at the end of each division.

I have tried to cover the entire schedule to help you through the long format process. I am available at any time if you have any questions, concerns or need additional information. My email is Shelley@ClassicEventing.com, Office phone is 843-623-5005 and cell phone number is 352-266-3970. Please don’t hesitate to call me with any questions.

We wish all of you a safe, fun and successful competition and the best of luck!

Best regards,

Shelley Spielman

Shelley Spielman
    Managing Director

WHERE are you???? I love it. Funny thing is that my husband and I, both low level riders (he has since stopped competing though) have suggested N and BN 3-days for YEARS. Only to be poo-hooed by many of the pros and upper level riders as either unnecessary or as dangerous!! If we had enough cross country fences on our property we have talked for years about having BN and N schooling 3 days.

I was thrilled to see the Novice 3-day offered at a show this fall/late summer!

Unfortunately you are prob too far from OK for us, and we aren't fit :-(

But I sure hope others start offering these. I really want to do a 3-day of some sort but at my age and with my crazy work schedule there is no way I will ever be able to a Trn 3-day. So a N/BN would be wonderfull!!!

I am excited!

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!

I would love to do this! Where are you?
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Quick search for "Southern Eighths Farm" (mentioned a few times in the OP's info statement) shows they're in South Carolina. Here's the classic format info page:

http://www.classiceventing.com/EventingLogon/short.html

Looks like fun - I hope it goes well!

Are you planning on doing this next year as well?

Thumbs up My goal for the Spring...

T3DE Pact

KGB... that needs a like button
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!