The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Devoucoux - Old vs. New??

I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so here goes. I am considering buying a Devoucoux Biarritz made in the early 90's. Does anyone know if there are any real differences between these and newer saddles - leather, tree, etc. Thanks!

I think they changed to their current tree by '90. But to know for sure, flip the saddle upside down and look at the gullet (the space between the two panels running front to back). On the old tree, the gullet is bow shaped and clearly widest in the middle. So if the top of page is the front of the saddle it looks likes this: ( ) The current devoucoux look like this: \ /

Other than that I know of no differences. I have one saddle from from each of the last 3 decades and besides the 88' being oldest and having the different shape they are very similar in every other way (and it's still a beautiful saddle).

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    I think they changed to their current tree by '90. But to know for sure, flip the saddle upside down and look at the gullet (the space between the two panels running front to back). On the old tree, the gullet is bow shaped and clearly widest in the middle. So if the top of page is the front of the saddle it looks likes this: ( ) The current devoucoux look like this: \ /

Other than that I know of no differences. I have one saddle from from each of the last 3 decades and besides the 88' being oldest and having the different shape they are very similar in every other way (and it's still a beautiful saddle).
    So....flyracing.....looking to get rid of one?

Quote Originally Posted by sar2008 View Post
    So....flyracing.....looking to get rid of one?
    No, they all have horses they fit

Here's the '88 at a show this summer; it tends fits the young horses that haven't really developed a topline yet. Then they grow out of it and fit into other saddles. The youngsters just seem to really find this particular saddle the most comfortable for a couple of years until their muscles fill out a different shaped saddle. Ironically (knowing devoucouxs), I've never needed more than a gel pad to make this saddle fit the average warmblood back (no sharkfin or mutton withers).

http://community.webshots.com/album/578991343RquLbA

Darn

Looks super comfy. I had a older Devoucoux I bought from the early 90's. I loved it. It got stollen at college

I have ridden in a few mid-90's Devoucouxs and the only real difference I could tell is that (and this is just a guess) the seat is not calfskin, which seems to be the norm on all newer saddles. They felt smoother, looked a little shinier, and didn't really have the "grip" that a newer saddle's calf or buffalo seat would have. That also may just have been a function of the saddle being older and the leather more worn, I don't know. But other than that, I couldn't tell a difference between older and those that are just a few years old.
    "These are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others." --Groucho Marx

Thanks for the great info! I knew I could count on my fellow COTHers for what I needed to know!