The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this a mistake!?

I haven't been able to ride for 2 weeks. I'm going to have surgery on my neck soon and don't know how long the recovery time will be. Anyway I was bemoaning the fact that because my horse had been doing so well recently, I hate to think he is just going to stand around doing nothing for 2 or 3 months. My S O graciously offered to ride him for me.

Now mind you, while I appreciate the offer, he's a beg. rider who hasn't been on a horse for over 6yrs. He took some lessons when we 1st got together 15yrs. ago, but mainly he just trail rode with me. At 1st I thought, great! He can at least trot him around enough to keep him legged up, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. The horse is quiet at home, and not too complicated, but he is still green.

I do know a very good young event rider who will come to my place and ride him twice a week, but that's all I can afford. I think he needs more than that, but is jogging around on a loose rein going to do more harm than good
    wwyd?

mpack-feel free to chime in...LOL
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Hmm.. I would think you would be able to find a competent young rider that would love to exercise your guy while you're laid up for free! Ask around. But if you're set on this particular rider schooling him twice a week, and he's getting turn out, I don't see why it would hurt to let your SO get on and at least walk him around? Just keeping him in some kind of mental work, even if it's walking combinations if that's all you're comfortable with, is good for him!

Best of luck with your surgery, BTW.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I would let him if he's a sane enough horse that your SO can walk him around.

I noticed that Fleck's fitness level drastically improved even with just 1-2 hour walks on the trails. The hills especially are fantastic for them. Now granted, I was doing other stuff too, but one summer we did A LOT Of walk trail rides and it really really helped

You'd be amazed... Ask the Woff... he agrees

I wouldn't really sweat it either way. IMO unless a horse gets very stiff without regular work, a month or two off never does them any harm and can often make them fresher and brighter when they come back from vacation. Everyone needs a little break now and then, and for me the yearly break happens to correspond to the worst time of year for riding--December through February. But if I were "grounded" I wouldn't worry too much about an unexpected horsey holiday.

OTOH, I also feel pretty strongly that unless a horse has proven itself to be extremely difficult and touchy it does no harm at all to let some other people ride it.

Either way, you are probably unlikely to notice much of a difference in the horse one way or another a few months down the road. Do what seems to work out best, and focus on getting better yourself! Good luck.
    Click here before you buy.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

What about a combo of the two. Have the YR come out and work him two times a week and have your SO get him out a few other times, as his schedule permits. Horse will probably be saner for SO and more focussed with YR with the additional work from both. I rode a horse for someone in a similar situation. I worked the horse in the ring 1-2 times a week and the owner's husband rode it on the trail in a western saddle a few times a a week. Everything worked out just fine.

And good luck with your surgery.
    The Evil Chem Prof

If you have to be grounded this is as good a time as any. I'd be more inclined to just give your horse some time off. That's what I'm going to do. I don't plan on 2or 3 months, but my guy will definitely get a month off in December, maybe longer depending on weather. Hope the surgery goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    If you have to be grounded this is as good a time as any. I'd be more inclined to just give your horse some time off. That's what I'm going to do. I don't plan on 2or 3 months, but my guy will definitely get a month off in December, maybe longer depending on weather. Hope the surgery goes well!
    agreed. It's winter anyway! You'll be ready to get back to work in Feb.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Save you money for a bit and give your horse a month or two off ...but have your SO help you groom him a few times

Then...save your money up and have the Young Event rider leg him back up and tune him up for you before you start back. (so have them ride the horse the same number of times you would have had them ride doing a ride twice a week but instead have those rides concentrated).

Then you will be good to go. Horse will have had a nice vacation...and when you start riding...he will be tuned for you.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Default Good advice

I could make an argument for any of the scenarios presented. Most important (to me, anyway) is that you have a successful surgery and recovery! I will keep you in my thoughts.

And after 15 years, I say put your SO on him 2-3 times a week on just walking "tool-abouts." It will make your horse a lot more forgiving of ammy mistakes and make you a lot less stressed when you get back on him ONCE CLEARED BY DOCTOR! I would only add that, if you choose this route, get the SO on the horse well before your surgery so he knows the protocol and what to do.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Sorry to hear about the surgery - didn't know about that!

It probably won't hurt for him to have a couple of months off, but I bet if you have someone come out a couple times a week and/or Ronnie gets on him, he'll be a bit easier for you to ride when you get back on after the layup.

My horse does not do well with extended time off and is always more work for me when he's been off. When I have the option, I prefer to keep him in some light work to make my job easier!

Wish I was closer - I'd LOVE to ride him.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    Hmm.. I would think you would be able to find a competent young rider that would love to exercise your guy while you're laid up for free!
    I wish! When I was younger I would have walked ten miles up hill after school to ride a decent horse Around here it seems like everyone thinks once they've gone around novice they can hang out their trainer's shingle. That plus the fact that I'm in the middle of cutting, reining, and roping country. The only reason this young rider can come to my place is because she just moved in with her boyfriend, who's a western trainer, and they're about 4 miles away.

Thanks for all the advice, and well wishes. I probably am making "much ado" about nothing. Figure my anxiety is probably stemming more from anticipating the surgery, than my horse's training coming to a halt.

Our winters here are pretty mild, but it is my least favorite time of year, so I guess giving him a break isn't the end of his career!

Red face ...hmmm green horse-the possibilities...endless

and I like Ronnie so much....

Although I must say the offer--WAY up there on the relational point scale! hmmm...I wonder if the situation was the same Terry would offer to ride Top Cat...:-0 !

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post

Wish I was closer - I'd LOVE to ride him.

Susan
    I wish you were too! I'd love FOR you to ride him. I'm also considering free leasing Bella. She's a little high maintanence, but then you know how THAT is

Quote Originally Posted by mpack View Post
    and I like Ronnie so much....

Although I must say the offer--WAY up there on the relational point scale! hmmm...I wonder if the situation was the same Terry would offer to ride Top Cat...:-0 !
    If TC turns out to be as quiet as Petey, then he probably would offer!

Thumbs up true!

Petey sounds like he turned out to be one great horse!