The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keeping things fun during the long and cold winter?

So, I was just doing a search to see if I could find any ideas on staying focused during the winter since I'll mostly be riding on my own without beloved trainer.

I didn't really find much, but did come across the subject of going bareback for the winter. I would like to try doing some bareback on my TB, but would love to hear recommendations on bareback pads that 1) stay in place, and 2) will not leave me unable to pee without wanting to cry, if you know what I mean
    What's your favorite?

Any ideas for keeping the indoor riding fun and interesting would be appreciated as well!
    Last edited by someday; Nov. 11, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

You can also do a lot of other stuff that doesn't involve riding: curry the horse until it gleams, learn how to do quarter marks, improve your braiding, teach the horse tricks, do in-hand work to sharpen their manners, etc. etc.

Figuring things out without one's trainer is sort of a point of pride and important for eventers, anyhow.
    Click here before you buy.

Default Ahhh the braiding...

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You can also do a lot of other stuff that doesn't involve riding: curry the horse until it gleams, learn how to do quarter marks, improve your braiding, teach the horse tricks, do in-hand work to sharpen their manners, etc. etc.

Figuring things out without one's trainer is sort of a point of pride and important for eventers, anyhow.

this is what I am promising myself to re learn this winter.

button braids?
    sewn in?

I am a complete idiot - does practice help a lot?
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

does practice help a lot?
    Of course! If you're like me and only moderately skilled at braiding (also not really all that interested) then even if yours aren't perfect, you'll be able to put them in a lot faster!

I do buttons, never sewn in. Hate how clipping the threads afterwards ruins their manes, especially the waxed stuff. I know there are many people who feel this is the ONLY way, and more power to them, but give me my 20 minute braid job with a halfway decent mane to start with and I've got nice, neat braids that are good for any level.
    Click here before you buy.

Default I rode bareback last night

I didn't remember just how much fun and how challenging it is!

Now, I ride a haffy who is much like riding a couch, so I had no need for a bareback pad. But, as a kid I owned a few shark finned OTTBs and I remember using some kind of synthetic fleece which seemed to work pretty well. I believe it sinched up like a western saddle? I don't remember any slippage.

I'm going to work in bareback riding as part of my weekly program. I learned a lot about my bad habits last night!

Yes practice helps alot!..... There are a few different way to do the sewn in braids. I personally cheat and braid down with rubberbands first and then sew them up. It doesn't leave as much wear and tear on their manes if you're braiding alot and They also hold better as the band helps keep the thread tight ; ) (little trick). Not traditional but they look the same when they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy76 View Post
    this is what I am promising myself to re learn this winter.

button braids?
    sewn in?

I am a complete idiot - does practice help a lot?
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

What about stirrupless work too!?

I also have a very pointy horse and.... bareback hurts! But... stirrup free will also help

You could also go back through old dresssage tests and look for trends... or stuff to fix that could add points... like the halt.... or if your circles aren't circles... and focus on stuff like that

Also.... trail riding if that's possible! Even at the walk... you can get/keep a pretty decent level of fitness, especially if you have hills. And... walking bareback isn't bad at all

Default Games

My daughter and I ride together a lot and we are going to break with tradition and do some western games (gasp!). We are going to do "ride a buck", poles, jumping figure 8,barrels, "candy bar" race etc. If you don't already have a repertoire of these games, there is a book, Games on Horseback. I'm from the school that says anytime on horseback will improve your seat and relationship with the horse. Let's hope that translates into better dressage scores.

PKN