The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's on top of your mattress?

I need a new mattress pad.... But on the other hand they have those memory foam things- pricey but they sure look comfortable. Vs an old timey feather bed. I also saw a mattress topper that was stuffed with lambs wool. My bed is comfortable but another layer of soft might be nice. My concern about the memory foam is with regard to longevity- I suppose it would eventually end up in a land fill unless it could be recycled- so maybe the feather bed or lambswool option would be better? Any advice comments greatly appreciated. I love to sleep!

dog hair... LOL JK

I have a Sleep Number (I'm a 65), so only thing on top is sheets. On our old bed though we had a feather bed topper. Loved that thing. So nice and toasty in the winter being smushed between the feather bed and the down comforter (sorry duck & goose lovers). In the summer is actually stays pretty cool too. Only pain is it is dry clean only, normally ok, just not when the dog yacks on it when your gone for the day.

right now? I would guess two corgis and a cat.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

in college i had a memory-foam type mattress topper on top of the horrible dorm mattress.. and that thing was DEVINE. it wasn't the egg crate style, just a flat piece of foam with little rectangular scores in it. i think i got it at wal-mart for $10. but it made that awful industrial mattress feel like a cloud!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I've got one of the memory foam toppers, it's smooth on one side, egg crate on the other, it's about 3 inches thick.

Helps immensely with my arthritic hip, but not so much with my back.

I really want a sleep number bed.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

memory foam..usually a cat (or 2) and somtimes an Irish Setter..

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    right now? I would guess two corgis and a cat.
    ma husband...maybe a cat or two...

I meant what is directly on top of your mattress. Not the cat hair, dog etc. If that were my question I would let folks know that I often have three cats on my mattress. For additional clarity I perhaps could have asked "What's between you and your mattress" but I'm not sure that would get the type of responses I am looking for... though likely quite entertaining.

I have a flat memory foam that was with me for 5 different college beds and it made every one super comfortable! My friends were always jealous. I upgraded to a hand-me-down queen (my sister's, so not yuck!) and I miss my instant mattress fixer!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have two (yes... two) featherbeds on top of my bed. So. Comfortable. Memory foam doesn't do it for me, but the featherbeds make sleeping just that much better. I always look forward to going to sleep.

Reggiea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    I have two (yes... two) featherbeds on top of my bed. So. Comfortable. Memory foam doesn't do it for me, but the featherbeds make sleeping just that much better. I always look forward to going to sleep.
    Agree.... Featherbeds really is so comfortable to sleep with.. I experienced it my self.

I have a 4 inch thick memory foam topper from Sam's Club. I love it.

I figure if I have to replace it in a few years that is fine. I can always cut it up, put a cover on each piece and have a couple of dog beds.

Sam's Club was by far the least expensive place I found to get a King size pad.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quilted top mattress ontop of that, old thick heavy cotton quilt with polyester batting tucked around the mattress, then a feather bed, then a thick quilted mattress pad to hold all that down nice and tidy, then really soft cotton white sheets. MMmmmm. I love my bed. I come home and put on my jammies and get into it and do everything from my bed. I get out to cook supper, but bring it right back to eat in bed. Basket of remotes, 27" iMac by my bedside, home phone and cell phone on the bedside table. High loft down comforter with fleece on one side, 600tpi egyptian cotton sheets, heavy velvet quilt on top, window open for fresh air and no heat on in the house (mentle pause days, I am oddly pleased when I wake up with snow on my quilt, really, at least two trips barefoot outside for de-sweating each evening) many many pillows of varying softness and support piled all around, under and behind me. I love my bed *sigh*.

Its called Cloud Nine. As in, ring, ring..."Hello? Cloud Nine! I'm here! And your not!"

Can you guess I live alone?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Quilted top mattress ontop of that, old thick heavy cotton quilt with polyester batting tucked around the mattress, then a feather bed, then a thick quilted mattress pad to hold all that down nice and tidy, then really soft cotton white sheets. MMmmmm. I love my bed. I come home and put on my jammies and get into it and do everything from my bed. I get out to cook supper, but bring it right back to eat in bed. Basket of remotes, 27" iMac by my bedside, home phone and cell phone on the bedside table. High loft down comforter with fleece on one side, 600tpi egyptian cotton sheets, heavy velvet quilt on top, window open for fresh air and no heat on in the house (mentle pause days, I am oddly pleased when I wake up with snow on my quilt, really, at least two trips barefoot outside for de-sweating each evening) many many pillows of varying softness and support piled all around, under and behind me. I love my bed *sigh*.

Its called Cloud Nine. As in, ring, ring..."Hello? Cloud Nine! I'm here! And your not!"

Can you guess I live alone?
    This just made me so jealous.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I have a memory foam mattress (10 inch) which I LOVE... on top of that I also have a quilted mattress pad. I want to protect that mattress from anything that might make it icky.

Default bed

the 3 inch memory foam topper with an egg crate topper on top of that- all from target and its sooooo comfy!

REALLY good sheets are a must and worth the $$

then a medium weight down comforter from the company store- those are the best and the feathers dont come out!

oh i wish i was in the bed right now- i think adults should get to have naptime
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Well after reading this I am not going to get a plain old mattress pad and cats will be even more spoiled.

You guys are so funny. When I saw the thread title, my first thought was to answer, "two dogs."

I must be the odd one out. I don't want a pillow top, memory foam or anything fancy. Give me the hardest mattress you make, please. And then I'll get home and shove a board under it just for good measure. I like a rock-hard bed, always have.