The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Hauntings? Signs?

Do you ever think your place is haunted?

Share your stories?

I have 3 good ghost stories... (more to follow)

I've never had a barn that WASN'T haunted - one even appeared on Ghost Hunters, but then again, here in SE PA that is the norm. The one I'm in now is very warm and welcoming - not at all threatening like in the past. I feel as if I'm being "watched over" but not in a bad way. Almost fatherly. I have stories galore - too many to post and some that will make the hair on the back of you neck stand straight up. I love it!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

One day, shortly after we'd first moved here, we were out by the road working on putting up a new mail box or something and chatting about if our house was haunted and if anyone had ever died in it. It was built in 1860 so undoubtedly someone had died in it.

Then a car pulled up. A big Lincoln type car and a man got out. He looked just like Christopher Walken (sp?). He said that he grew up in our house and would we mind if he drove in to see the place.

We told him that was fine with us. He told us stories about growing up here and then said that his sister died in the house. We mentioned something about how we were just talking about ghosts and wondering if anyone had died here. He said "I'm a ghost."

He came back another time and visited.

He had told us his name and that he was on a lecture circuit for organ transplants and when I googled him nothing ever came up.

Was he really a ghost? I think maybe he was!

One day, in January of 2008 I was in the barn. All the doors were closed except for one, it was open just about 4 or 5 inches. All the horses were inside because it was quite cold out.

A bird flew in the barn through that little gap in the door. It went to the far end of the barn and landed on a horse's back. The cat's saw it and were looking like they wanted to catch it, so I opened the doors and tried to shoo it out.

It went from one horse to the next, landing on each of their backs. It stayed in the barn for about 10 minutes and then flew right out.

Shortly after that, my BFF called to tell me that her step mom had just passed away. She had been fighting cancer for several years. They had all been chatting about Ohio and our wedding and how much fun everyone had that day. Then not much later she passed on.

Very odd. It had never happened before that a bird had done that and it made me wonder.....

But then it happened again, with a bird....

The same type of bird, a Starling, came to visit again in the same manner.

Later that day I found out a dear old friend had passed away from Cancer earlier that afternoon.

Popcorn:

I had an uncle whom I was close to and he was in hospice. I went and saw him that past Saturday knowing it was most likely to be my last visit. He looked me in the eye as I was leaving, shook my hand and said "See you on the other side".

Monday night I was in school and around 7:00, I smelled buttered popcorn, I told my friend we should stop by the theater to get some during break as I was craving it madly (school was located next to a shopping mall).

After I returned from break with my popcorn, my phone was vibrating. Once it went to voicemail, I left class and listened in the hallway. It was my mom telling me my uncle had passed away around 7:00 that night. I found out that the funeral that buttered popcorn was one of his favorite things to eat.

My house isn't haunted, but it does get "visitors" sometimes, if that makes any sense. I experienced a lot of stuff when we first moved in, but now that we've been there a year I haven't seen, heard or felt anything in a while. It's a great house - it was built in 1857 but fell into disrepair around 1900 and by the 1930s it was on the verge of being demolished. A wonderful couple bought the house right before that happened, and did such a great restoration job on the house and grounds that Better Homes and Gardens magazine did a story about it. That family lived there until 1996, when the last member (the wife) died.

I think it was her that was hanging around when we first moved in, perhaps checking up on us to see who we were and making sure her painstakingly-done restoration job wasn't being messed with. I can't say I blame her; I'd do the same thing! I'd see flashes of light inside the house a lot, and sometimes I'd hear a female's voice in the room with me when I was home alone. Once, she said "Bless you" after I sneezed. I never felt scared or uneasy, even though I am the type to get creeped out by scary movies and ghost stories.

Once I saw a woman with long dark hair sitting up on the guest room bed as I walked by. She was only there a second or two, and then she was gone. Again, somehow it wasn't scary. I kind of like having her/them/? around, checking in to see what we're doing with the house and grounds. We got a really cool piece of antique furniture a few weeks back, and BF thought I was a weirdo because I was excited to get it home so "Mrs. X could see it" (the former owner/possible ghost).

"Mrs. X could see it" - I'd laugh but I do some of the same stuff. The ol' doublewide is located probably forty feet away from the original home site and when we first got here whenever the AC kicked on you could hear music in the background - the theme from I Love Lucy - then as we started gardening and bringing in animals we stopped hearing it. We found skeletal equine parts in our first pasture and have found plenty of horseshoes and harness parts. I think our ghost is hanging around in her old home spot watching the horses through the window now and looking at her bulbs (the subdivider dozed a shed and garden area and all the bulbs ended up next to the heap at the bottom of the hill or in a trail down to it, we lifted quite a few of them this year and moved them back up the hill to a garden bed) I find lots of pieces of glassware and porcelain, including an entire unbroken cup portion of the mortar and pestle combo, and whenever I find one of the broken household pieces I put it up for future use - I think I'll imbed them in stepping stones or something decorative for the garden. Our ghost is Mabel or Myrtle and I think she'll like that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Not a ghost, but maybe an angel..
    A friend and I were the only ones at the barn one day, when we found a horse cast under the fence of his corral. He was on his side, under the bottom rail of the pipe corral, all the way up to his shoulders. He was struggling to get up, and looked like he might actually break his back. I sat on his head to try and keep him from struggling, while we tried to figure out what to do. (Now this was at the Stanford Red Barn - N. Cal,- university - no cowboys around...) A truck drove up - right to the corral - and a cowboy got out. Hat - boots - lariat the whole thing. He said almost nothing as I remember, but put the rope around the horse's hind legs, and pulled him back under the fence while I kept sitting on the horse to keep him down. We thanked him. He gathered up his rope and drove off. The whole thing was VERY strange, and we could never have gotten the horse out without him. Don't know if I really believe in ghosts OR angels, but that always makes me wonder.

well my house is a new build, and I don't think its haunted but it was built on land that was part of one of the oldest dairy farms in our county so the land is "old" if you know what I mean. That said, we often wake to hear what sounds like our kids running all over the place, and when we go out into the hall, there is nothing and our kids are sound asleep in bed. Today my daughter woke up with her quilt literally lying in a pile across the room...that was very weird. I'm hoping she brought it over there sleepwalking

My kids and I did a "ghost tour" of an old plantation in Leesburg, VA the week of Halloween and I have to say it was VERY spooky. I'm pretty convinced ghosts are out there, just hopefully not in my house!
    Last edited by Mayaty02; Nov. 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

A creepy thing happened in my house a few weeks ago.

My dad and I were sitting downstairs, and suddenly the dog started barking and ran upstairs. We heard someone come in the front door, and walk upstairs to the 2nd floor hallway. I thought to myself, "Huh, that's odd, whoever came home didn't say hi." but brushed it off, and figured one of my brothers had come home and was just busy/grumpy. By that time the dog had come back downstairs, but was looking up the stairs as if someone was there. My dad asked if I heard someone come in, and I said yes, and he got up to see who was home.

There was no one there.

After a while my brother DID come home, and we told him the story, and he said, "Finally! I hear that ALL THE TIME! I'm not crazy!"

Spooky! o.O
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

My house has a creak every night at about 10pm. Sounds like someone in the room over mine, but I really think it's the house creaking.

Friend of mine in high school lived in the "haunted castle" in Ellicott City, MD. The window in the turret was always open in the morning. Didn't matter if it was nailed shut, it was open in the morning.

This is not so much a ghost story, more of a guardian angel. My old BO lost her beloved mare to torsion colic only to have the mares last foal (who was a yearling) colic a short time later. He had emergency surgery which went really well, except he wound up with aspiration pneumonia. He got REALLY sick, and about the time we thought he was not going to make it, a pigeon showed up and took up residence on the top bar of his stall. For two days the BO was really fighting to keep him alive, and the pigeon never left his stall. The morning that it became clear he was on the mend, the pigeon flew out the barn door and was never seen again. What is odd is that in the 6 years I was at that barn, I never saw a single pigeon aside from that one. Lots of barn swallows and starlings but no pigeons. The BO felt it was his dam coming to watch over him, which made her feel like he was going to live.

Every time I begin to think there is no such thing as ghosts and stuff, I read stories like these and they make me believe they exist again! Some of them are so peculiar/specific that I don't see how anyone could just make them up. Like how the I Love Lucy theme song could be heard when you turned the air conditioner. I love reading these stories but if I lived in a house like jlc's where there was someone around I'd definitely be too scared to sleep.

Tidy Rabbit, was the car the man drove up in an old car or a current car?

Oh, the stories I could tell. Not really haunted houses as the spirits seem to follow me every where I've lived or stayed (seen them in hotels also).

The first one I saw was my mother. A few week after she passed away. I was 10 years old. I have seen many people from the elderly to the very young.

I never told ANYONE until I was in my mid-20's. I kept seeing the same person over and over again. In the past, they were always different people. The only one I recognized was my mother. So I spoke to my Dad and Step-Mom about it. Surprisingly, they didn't freak out. But tried to help me figure out who it was (family member, etc.)

I'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me anymore. It did when I was young. But I do go long periods w/o seeing anyone.

Interesting topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy SM View Post
    love reading these stories but if I lived in a house like jlc's where there was someone around I'd definitely be too scared to sleep.
    It's funny, Roxy, if I were ANYWHERE else other than home and I thought a ghost was about, I would be too scared to move, let alone fall asleep! But for some reason the things at my house aren't scary or creepy - just something to do with the vibe of the house, I guess. The place just feels really happy and calm and welcoming (one of the main reasons we bought it) and that makes it not frightening somehow.

OHhhhh, I just remembered this one... how could I forget it???

This one is really scary!

I was at the Virginia Horse Center for a show. This was probably in fall of 2001. I was staying at a middle of the road hotel.

I had come back to my room completely exhausted from the horse show and decided to take a bath. Weird thing to do in a hotel but it was really clean and new. Anyways, while I was in the bath, I had the creepiest feeling come over me. All of a sudden I *KNEW* someone had died in that bathroom and not in a peaceful way.

It completely freaked me out.

Back in high school, my mom & I heard glass shatter in an unfinished room upstairs. We went up to look and found nothing. The room was eventually finished off and no broken glass was ever found.

I used to work in the Ripley's Believe it or Not! museum in Wisconsin Dells. We had one of those turning tunnels that was motion-activated. I would be in the museum completely alone and the thing would go off all by itself.

Once, though, I was alone and reading when one of the wind chimes over my shoulder started tinkling. I looked up to see what caused it and saw that it was bouncing up and down, not side to side as it would if a breeze caught it. That was awesome

Many of the other employees thought the museum was too creepy and never wanted to work alone. Me? I loved it. It never bothered me to be alone even in the dark.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Not a haunted house per se, but I believe my grandfather came to visit us (and got me out of trouble in the process )
    So when we were kids my family had a lot in the Adirondacks with a trailer on it. One summer when I was little, my grandfather (alive) came to visit us at the place and gave my sister this little plastic hippo. My sister for some reason decided the hippo would live on the shelf in the utility closet in the trailer (and she tells me, I am the odd one). Anyway, this closet was about an inch deep with one shelf that was also an inch deep and flush with the solid back wall of the closet. My sister never took the hippo out- just kissed it hello and goodbye when we came and left and put it back on its shelf.
    One day, I (being the bad child) took the hippo outdoors and ended up losing it. Whole family searched high and low for it to no avail. Closed up the place for the winter without having found it.
    That winter my grandfather passed away.
    The next spring when we came for our first visit of the season, for some reason my sister went straight to the utility closet and opened the door and lo and behold her little hippo was back on his shelf where he was supposed to be.
    Thanks Grandpa!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

My dad passed away this summer. I was in the garage at my house getting ready to build a jump for the barn (a task that he and I were to do together before he got sick.) I went over to his tablesaw (which we inherited) and looked at some old windchimes which were hanging on the wall next to it. I was going to hang them outside. I held them up and the strings were all broken and mangled. So, i put them back where they were and walked to the other side of the garage to find a screw driver bit. From behind me, the windchimes jangled...not blew in the wind, but jangled, like someone bent down and hit their head on them when they stood up. Sure it was pop...oh, and he leaves me dimes EVERYWHERE.... all the time... in rooms where i have vacuumed, i will come back in and there will be a dime, right where i vacuumed...