The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question HELP! HOW BEST TO SHIP/IMPORT A SADDLE FROM UK TO US???

I am puchasing a nice dressage saddle from an individual in the U.K., she had it listed on Ebay, it didn't sell, and I found a link to it after the auction ended. So, we've been corresponding, and she is really nice, but clueless about how to ship a saddle internationally. I have had other small things shipped to me from Ebay.UK but the sellers handled all the details. Should we go UPS or DHL or ??? Also, I think there is a Customs form to be filled out, anything to be aware of on that matter? Should we go through Ebay so Paypal will refund my money if anything goes wrong? Any/all advice will be appreciated. It's a great deal on a saddle that I couldn't afford here, so I'm willing to spend $100-150 to have it shipped. Thx

update, checked with DHL and because they only do express shipping, it is expensive, $400!! Still would be cheaper than buying the saddle here, but would like to check other options....Wondering if the British postal service would be worth checking out.

I've shipped saddles to Australia without any difficulty, just don't know how to go about getting one brought into the country!

I bought two from the UK. Both I think were shipped UPS and got to me within 10 days for $130 or so. The private seller with the used saddle sent it to me marked "gift" so I didn't have to pay anything when it arrived. My second one was new and marked as such so I had to pay $60 more in import taxes when it got here. I'd go with UPS. $400 is a LOT for shipping. (This was all when I was living in the States, BTW)

I've had two shipped regular british postal service, both ran around $120 (including their packaging). Where both scared the daylights out of me, you can track them until they hit customs, then they vanish for a week or longer. I have had a bridle from the UK vanish off the planet when it hit customs, thankfully it was insured and the company shipped me another without issue.

So for that, i would probably recommend UPS if you can continue tracking them while in customs.

thanks for the info, I've forwarded it to the seller. I appreciate the advice.

I got a saddle off eBay from the UK and the seller sent it to me via the regular UK post office. It arrived at my doorstep *THE NEXT DAY*!?!?!

Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I've done several without difficulty. Most recently through this service which seemed to work well, http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw but have also used uk postal service shipping. DHL is very expensive
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!