The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My (hopefully!) new event prospect!

Hello everyone,

I've been absent for quite some time (wasn't really all that active before) but I have a lovely, sweet new gelding that I'm very excited about! I was horseless for 2 years (feels more like a decade) due to the economy and have now have taken the plunge again (soon to be poor again, I'm sure!)

Anyway, I bought him at the Sport Horse Auction in Herndon, the day before I left the country for a week. It was quite spontaneous of me since I hadn't seen him ridden, nor did I hop on him at any point. But we spoke with the trainer, run our hands over him and watched him trot out. My trainer gave me the thumbs up, if I was comfortable so away I went! Next thing I know, I was filling out paperwork! LOL He was advertised as 5 but when I got him home, I discovered a "J" on his tatoo to realize he's really 4. He's a fairly big boned, substantial guy at around 16.3.

So far, he is the most quiet 4 y/o old I've ever seen, let alone that he's a TB. **knock wood!!** I've only ridden him 3 times and in a lesson the other night I was literally riding him with my hands way up his neck and kicking to keep him in the canter. LOL. He only raced once and it wasn't stellar. Something about breaking sluggishly and being outrun. He came in 4th out of 4 and won $100.

He hasn't had much retraining, was mostly trail ridden. He seems to at least understand the concept of seat and leg but has no idea what the bit is for other than "whoa".

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble. He started 30 days training with our trainer to give us a good jump start in the right direction and we'll go from there. Here is a picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/IMG_2416.jpg

I'm not in any hurry, we'll take however long it takes but I'm really looking forward to the process. I think he's going to be a very nice, low level, amatuer friendly horse.
    You can't fix stupid.

Hooray for you! He is gorgeous. Best wishes.

handsome boy. We will look forward to hearing of your adventures
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Very nice! What's his breeding?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Thanks. Saint Marcos is his registered name: http://www.pedigreequery.com/saint+marcos
    You can't fix stupid.

Really nice! Have fun with him.

I like his pedigree too. His height is probably coming from his dam. Waquoit is known to throw them BIG sometimes. Good jumpers and movers typically to. I've seen a few of them and always liked them a lot. He is one I like of the more current sires.

I also really like his breeding up top. Everything on paper says he should make a lovely event prospect to me (well...really it says he will probably be a type of horse I like). And so does his picture!!!!

Keep us posted!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by B Street Tango View Post
    Thanks. Saint Marcos is his registered name: http://www.pedigreequery.com/saint+marcos
    love it good luck
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Amy, this is so cool!! He is *lovely* (and you know I love those chestnuts with chrome ), and his pedigree looks to have some good eventing sires/lines in there (agree with bfne...)

GOOD LUCK with him! And please keep us posted...very exciting!!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Glad to see you are "horsed" again.

Looking forward to seing you out there.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

You are going t be so pleased with this guy.

What a lovely Pedigree, all the Hergager and Damscus and Turn-To. No Storm Cat............

Every Waquiot and St Ballado I 've had come thru were steller eventers w/ great minds, good bone and plenty of jump!!

Good on you****

Thanks everyone. I actually did what I promised myself I wasn't going to do the next time around....bought myself another greenbean! LOL. But my pockets just weren't deep enough to find myself a nice, sound, competitive N packer and truthfully, I get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing a horse progress. Even if I'm not always the one in the saddle, if I'm paying a pro to do it, I'm getting the opportunity to see that horse grow. And I've learned SO much from every horse I've had the opportunity to ride. Even the not so cooperative ones. Sure, there was lots of blood, sweat and tears along the way...but there were plenty of victories, too! I think the mind on this one is going to be exceptional and that was my #1 requirement. My trainer loves him and keeps telling me to RELAX, he's going to be the horse you were looking for...we're just going to have to put a little time into him. And that's fine with me, as I said, I'm in no hurry!
    You can't fix stupid.

How exciting Amy!!! So glad that you have a new guy and also that Jay is doing so great in his new home !

How did he come to the Sporthorse sale?

He is LOVELY! What a handsome boy! I am particularly fond of that dark chestnut color. And the best part is that you like his temperment... I think that that is such a huge thing for an ammy project horse. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures together.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Love him!