The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Columbus OH

If I move to Columbus OH. Anyone here have any barn suggestions? I mostly trail ride, quiet teenage gelding, who would do well in a smaller herd I think. Oh yes, I need a place too a small on farm apartment would be awesome
    Suggest away and thanks in advance.

Do you mean "Chagrin" Valley Farms?

If so, that's in Cleveland. OP wants to know about Columbus.

Columbus has a great horse scene. While, I'm not familiar w/ more casual barns, there are quite a few nice show barns there. A lot of this is going to depend on what area you're moving to - it's a big city.

Here's a link to a trainer directory. Assuming you don't want to ride w/ a showbarn, one of these people might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.delawarehorseshows.com/Site/Trainers.html

Good luck!

Hi,

Are you looking for a show barn, or a more casual atmosphere? Since you wrote you mostly trail ride I'm guessing you'd lean toward a more casual type barn?
    I know numerous places around Columbus; what are you looking for? What characteristics are you looking for? Any specific price range, trainer on premises, indoor, access to trails, full/partial care etc? On what side of town do you think you'll be living or working? How far are you willing to drive to see your horse?

With a little more info I'm sure I can come up with some ideas for you.

-MM

Default more info

It looks like I may be living in Pataskala
    I would be working on Broad Street (kinda near the airport)
    I am not a show barn person. Indoor would be nice but not critical.
    I doubt I would take lessons on a regular basis, but occassional access to lessons would be good. (I don't have a trailer)
    I'm not sure on price since I am not familiar enough with the area. Is $250-$350 a reasonable budget?
    I would be at the barn most days, so partial care would be possible.
    I would also be willing to work off some board, and or farm sit etc in a private situation. Trails are pretty much a must, and I would like to stay within approximately 30 minutes from downtown if possible.
    Run-out situation if fine, the more turn out the bettter IMO as long as I have an indoor area to groom etc during wet weather.
    group rides, hunter paces etc are things I enjoy.

I appreciate the input
    Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Oak View Post
    It looks like I may be living in Pataskala
    Pataskala is crawling with barns. You shouldn't have a problem finding something like you're describing. Arbor Mist Farm in Pataskala is constantly advertising on Craigslist for $250 board with lots of wooded trails + daily turnout.

I'm not sure on price since I am not familiar enough with the area. Is $250-$350 a reasonable budget?
    For partial care without an indoor arena, yes.

But ask a million questions about turnout policy.

There are lots of nice places on the east side. I think you will be hard pressed to find something for under $300, but if you want to spend more, the sky is the limit on that side of town . Look up Scion Farm and you will see what I am talking about. Columbus has a great horse scene, right now hay is cheap and plentiful, we have a couple of great tack stores, and horse shows galore. I live on the SW side of Columbus and barns are getting harder to find on the west side, but out east you will be fine. Just be sure to ask lots of questions as people's level of care really varies. Check out craigslist, but also be aware that there is some sort of flagging war going on and all of the boarding ads are getting flagged. Maybe even post that you are looking for a boarding situation and someone will contact you. As you find barns and you would like an outside opinion feel free to let me know.

jenbelmont Guest

Default Boarding on East side of Columbus

Have you found a place? For what you are describing, check out Field of Dreams. They have an indoor and a couple of staff have boarding at farms w/in 8 minutes w/out indoor arenas but great care, plenty of grass turnout and board @ $275.