The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vet can't diagnose lameness, where to go?

Some area options:

Auburn, UF, Peterson/Smith, Ocala Equine?

I'd go to peterson and smith. The treadmill can be highly useful in helping to identify subtle lameness because the horse stays in the same spot and speed is controlled very specifically. So, say the horse doesn't really stride out trotting in hand, that's not a problem because on the treadmill they do each gait at different speeds which can help show where the horse is uncomfortable. What a great advantage to have down there! They also, have a bone scan if you get to that part.

Best of luck.

Feel free to share more of your story

http://www.texasequinehospital.com/t...ehospital.html

Dr. Honnas

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/press-re...s-hall-of-fame

Dr. Carter at TAMU vet school.

Will be worth your trip to see either Dr. Carter at a&M or Dr. Honnas at texas equine outside of Bryan on hwy 6.

Both are the best in the business, Dr. carter will work with horse for how many ever hours it take to find out what is wrong, even it till mid night.

Dr. Honnas is very good also and will be cheaper because you don't have to pay all of a&M's fees. He was with TAMU but branched off on his own.

I'd recommend either UF or Peterson and Smith, especially if you are in that general area. I've had good experiences with vets from both, and both have treadmills/advanced imaging capabilities if necessary. Not sure if P&S has an MRI though - I know UF does and they use it when needed/desired for lameness cases.

I'm going on a limb here, but I would call Tim Ober. He was my vet for a while and is absolutely wonderful with lamenesses. After all, he does the whole US Equestrian show jumping team

He is based in NY and Palm Beach, but came to our farm in Upperville to treat our horses once a month. It may be worth shooting him a phone call. PM me if you want his #
    Last edited by sar2008; Nov. 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM.

Dr. Morton at UF was excellent for me. I went to Ocala Equine first, had a terrible experience and would not recommend it at all.

Would avoid Ocala Equine Hospital...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Default thanks!

thanks! we will follow your recommenadtions for vet hosps. in our area.

My pick: either Peterson and Smith or Craig Roberts just outside Gainesville. Dr. Roberts was Chief of Sports Med at Peterson and Smith and is now out on his own.

I will NEVER take any of my horses to UF again. All 3 of my visits there were NOT GOOD. I don't want students trying to diagnose my horse - I want professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
    My pick: either Peterson and Smith or Craig Roberts just outside Gainesville. Dr. Roberts was Chief of Sports Med at Peterson and Smith and is now out on his own.

I will NEVER take any of my horses to UF again. All 3 of my visits there were NOT GOOD. I don't want students trying to diagnose my horse - I want professionals.
    Really? A vet school where students do the diagnosing? Thats crazy! All the vet school's Ive taken my horse to they have one or two students, one or two residents and the faculty clinician all look at one patient and bounce ideas back and fourth and challenge each other, ultimately the faculty clinician approves everything. Thats why I think vet schools are the best place to take your horse. Plus you know the faculty clinician is one of the best in the world, you have to be to get that job, and the residents are top class too- getting a residency can be very competitive. Also, since public universities have a smaller caseload than private practices, and often are government subsidized- so you end up paying less because tax payers are covering the cost of the land, buildings etc... you end up paying less. Anyways, thats my big support shpeal for vet schools.