The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony with Cushings-Low Thyroid

We've had Splash for over a year now. He is a saint in a pony suit. He's perfect. But I've known something was wrong for a little while and finally convinced the vet to test him. He's been on the emergency diet all along basically and it has kept him rather stable.

ATCH test came back 118. This was pulled on October 22nd. Thyroid was .12. That is POINT 12. Vet said his thryoid may be low because he has cushings, or is sick (which he was not) or on bute (which he was on some for an abscess). We are starting pergolide and I'm using up my old container of Thyro L. Then we are going to let him go a month and retest his thyroid. She feels the cushings may be causing the low thyroid.

I asked her about feeding him. I feel he's IR too, she does not. I figure when we test Thyroid, we'll test for IR too. In the meantime he's not on any grass, so I can control what goes in. She said it was not necessary to feed him the Carb Guard he is on. He has weight issues, as in trying to stay fat. I am currently feeding him 1 small coffee can of Carb Guard a day (1lb). 1/2 can of Alfalfa pellets and 1/2 can of beet pulp (no molasses), supplements are 1200IUs of Vitamin E, IR Pellets from Kentucky Equine, Probios and Lysine. What of this can I or should I drop?

Any other useful tips?
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Bumping, anyone? I did join and asked the Cushings Yahoo group. But really, they are just a bit too deep for me. Anyone with the same type of horse?
    www.frostyoaks.com

The Yahoo Cushings Group is a bit too much into themselves. My friend with a Cushings/IR 21 yo Paso Fino reads on there and then passes the information along to me as I have two insulin resistant horses.

I have sent you a PM

I have/had 3 cushings horses, 2 were ir also, one also with low thyroid. It's a balancing act and each is different. The dear departed yellowhorse did well for years just on pergolide, she never foundered and she basically was on grass most of her life until the last 2 years when she went completely out f whack. If i had been boarding I would have put her down at that point but was able to micromanage her diet at home.

Current 2 cushings horses are both on pergolide and one is on thyro-l as well, the horse on thyro-l and can handle grass in limited amounts. She has a terrible time keeping weight on but she is also 35 years old, she eats an enourmous amount of feed imho and is fed 3 times a day, found that rice bran and beet pulp have helped to keep weight on her without foundering her, she is also on tc senior feed.She has unlimited hay.She has never foundered.

The other cushings horse is more difficult to manage, she is 13 years old and a big girl, she cannot tolerate any grass.She also cannot have unlimited hay, she also drops weight easily but if fed even a cup too much gets cresty. She has foundered twice.I had her on a low starch feed but she lost so much weight it was scarey,so she is on tc senior and rice bran twice a day and a 3rd feeding of alfalfa pellets.So far on this regime she has not foundered since 2 years this past august, she is on a dry lot and gets 6 flakes of hay with her feed, I found I had to ad feed as she was quite thin without it.

I just am giving examples of how different each cushings horses was, I've tried several feeds, supplements,hay types, i feed bermuda here, etc, and each horse is different and requires something different.And the disease process changes so you have to change when that happens.

Wait a minute, I thought cushings tests couldn't be done during the fall, due to inaccurate results. Why did your your vet do the test in October? I'm confused.

Glad I wasn't the only ones that found the Yahoo group a bit too intense!

As for the test, you can do it in the fall, but your vet should take into consideration the seasonal rise in cortisol. So, if the horse is a low normal, you probably would probably treat with pergolide. The test my vet uses measures percent change in cortisol over time. They take a morning and evening blood sample and the lab measures the percent change. So that test is not affected by the seasonal rise.

Quote Originally Posted by ytr45 View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought cushings tests couldn't be done during the fall, due to inaccurate results. Why did your your vet do the test in October? I'm confused.
    There was no choice, the pony needed tested. She KNEW there would be a season rise, but she also felt he was NOT cushings. His test was high enough to determine that yes he was and he needed pergolide. The only other option. Let the pony suffer until the season rise was over. She said Sept is the worst month. We did it end of October.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by jherold View Post
    Glad I wasn't the only ones that found the Yahoo group a bit too intense!
    I try, but they keep sending me personal emails telling me I have to put the date I joined. THREE moderators have emailed me this. It's just a bit too much for me.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    I try, but they keep sending me personal emails telling me I have to put the date I joined. THREE moderators have emailed me this. It's just a bit too much for me.
    g

Sadly they have slowly evolved into "Legends in their own Minds".

Dr. Kellon does have a good website where you don't have to play Twenty Questions with the Holier than thou cushings group.

You can read peacefully without their interruption; it may be of some help to you

http://www.ecirhorse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    g

Sadly they have slowly evolved into "Legends in their own Minds".

Dr. Kellon does have a good website where you don't have to play Twenty Questions with the Holier than thou cushings group.

You can read peacefully without their interruption; it may be of some help to you

http://www.ecirhorse.com/
    Thank you.
    www.frostyoaks.com

I'm confused by the statement "he has weight issues, as in trying to stay fat"
    meaning he's fat? or meaning he has trouble staying fat?

Sorry if I'm taking the short bus here. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PinkChampagnePony View Post
    I'm confused by the statement "he has weight issues, as in trying to stay fat"
    meaning he's fat? or meaning he has trouble staying fat?

Sorry if I'm taking the short bus here. . . .
    No I wasn't clear. He has a hard time keeping weight on, especially this time of the year.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    No I wasn't clear. He has a hard time keeping weight on, especially this time of the year.
    Just wanted to add, while that isn't the common pattern, it does happen with metabolic issues.

I am lucky enough to have two insulin resistant horses

The senior horse loses weight really easy as a result but has to wear a muzzle to control his fructose/sugar intake. He was an air fern before the IR exploded on him over 3 years ago.

The 12 yo will look like the Walking Horse version of a Clydesdale from the IR, so he wears a muzzle to control everything.

I add extra rice bran to the 23 yr old's diet to help keep his weight up.