The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Two Year Olds

What is everyone feeding their 2 year olds? Are you feeding any supplements as well?

How much are you expecting your 2 year old will grow from now until they turn 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Motion View Post
    What is everyone feeding their 2 year olds? Are you feeding any supplements as well?

How much are you expecting your 2 year old will grow from now until they turn 3?
    1.5 lbs of progressive "proadd ultimate"
    .5 lbs rice bran
    1 scoop/dose Tri-amino (to meet protein requirements)
    1 scoop/dose Smartomega (vet recommended because he has "skin problems")

He's eating 2 flake (about 2 lbs each) of timothy and 1 flake (about 4 lbs) of alfalfa and what ever grass in the pasture he may still pick at.

He is currently 15.3 1/2 and according to figure that horses at 36 months have reached 97-99 % of final height, I expect the horse to be between 16h and 16.2. Since he is warmblood (compared to being a race bred TB or other early growers) I expect he be on the high side of the estimate, but there's really no telling. His sire is 16.3 and dam is 16.1.

Specifically you asked how tall I think he'll be when he turns 3 (may 1st), and I think that depends on when he has his spring growth spurt He very well could be 15.3 1/2 or 16.1 on this birthday. Only time will tell.

Alfalfa hay, timothy hay and oat hay (equal amounts, 1 type each feeding daily-honestly don't know weight, but several flakes total daily, she has hay in front of her most of the time). 1/2# Calf Manna, 1/2# Purina Amplify, 2 # (dry weight) beet pulp. She is 16.2 currently and has grown 2" since May...a bit hard to keep weight on her while she's spending all her time growing 'up'. Mom and dad are both 16.2, but apparently that won't be the wall for her. I'm guessing close to 17 hands by 4, maybe only another inch this year?
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Mine is 2 years and 7 months, and right at 15h. She's half-Lusitano, and still has LONG legs, so I am expecting her to get to 15.2h or maybe 15.3h.

She gets pasture 24/7 in summer, and then SmartVite and a handful of alfalfa pellets. In winter they get almost free-choice coastal hay, probably about 20lb per day. She gets the SmartVite, and enough alfalfa pellets to maintain weight. Usually that's about 2 handfuls. She is a big-time air fern.

My 2 1/2 year old gets alfalfa and grass hay and a handful of grain a week. I'm moving her and her 6 month old sister out to a pasture with a lot of old grass and less hay because they are too fat. The 2 1/2 year old looks like a giant, rolly polly Andalusian. I'd rather have them a little thinner than fatter as they grow to not put so much stress on them or encourage too fast of growth.

She was growing an inch every month or two up until she was about 2, then stopped, about 15.3 in the butt and 15.1 1/2 whithers. She's been hanging there 6 months. I expect her to be 16.2, maybe bigger. Her mom is 15.3, but was probably stunted a bit from shipping fever. Her other adult foals are 16.1, 16.2, and about 17. Her dad is 17 hands, so I'd expect she'd be close. Her little sister (same mom and dad) appears to be growing much bigger than her already, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Mine is 2 years and 7 months, and right at 15h. She's half-Lusitano, and still has LONG legs, so I am expecting her to get to 15.2h or maybe 15.3h.

She gets pasture 24/7 in summer, and then SmartVite and a handful of alfalfa pellets. In winter they get almost free-choice coastal hay, probably about 20lb per day. She gets the SmartVite, and enough alfalfa pellets to maintain weight. Usually that's about 2 handfuls. She is a big-time air fern.
    This is what my 2yo TB gets currently. Pasture 24-7 with the Smart Vite along with a handful or Pennfield Senior (since that is what all my other guys get) to eat the supps. She's a pretty easy keeper. Great weight going into the winter. There is still loads of grass in her field, but I throw the girls (there are 4 in her field) as much Timothy hay as they clean up (which isn't much right now....)