The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beezie Madden

I've heard that she was found through IHSA riding. Is this true? Which college did she go to?

Thank you!

I think Beezie went to Southern Sem, and was coached on the IHSA team by Russ Walther...

I don't know if I would say she was "found" through IHSA. I believe she was already a pretty good rider when she got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post
    I think Beezie went to Southern Sem, and was coached on the IHSA team by Russ Walther...
    That's correct! I was a year behind her at Sem and she was a fantastic in college!!! She was also working with Katie Monahan during college and showing some with her at that time.

Beezie was in a league of her own at Sem. She was by far the best rider in a school full of riders.
    Last edited by Green Acres; Nov. 9, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Add more info

She showed ponies in Wi as a little girl. After HS I worked in a tack store and one evening we got a call asking if we could stay a little longer because someone needed a pair of gloves. I stayed and the little girl was very sweet and polite, the little girl was Beezie.

I only remember that Beezie went to Sem because I beat her at Ihsa Nationals. They use to have an Exhibition Jumper class set at 4', one rider from each zone was selected to ride. I had know Russ for years before as he use to train in my area....Beezie was the clear favorite to win, and I comming from a small community college was not even considered to be in the ribbons....I always kid that, that was the one and only time I beat Beezie Patton Madden!!

Life is Good 2, I grew up in Wisconsin and also remember Beezie as a very sweet and polite pony rider. Even back then, she struck me as being more thoughtful and self-possessed than the other kids her age. I have distinct memories of her sitting quietly by herself and watching the 14-17 equitation divisions. It seemed that she wanted to learn as much as possible from everything going on at the show. When I returned to the sport after a 20 year break, I wasn't surprised to find out that she'd grown into a superstar.

Ponyjumper525, Beezie was a very accomplished junior rider and I believe she had high placings in both the medal and Maclay finals. She trained with Mike Henaghan during her junior career.

Beezie's parents owned a lesson barn in Wisconsin and I grew up riding there. She was a very accomplished junior rider who worked for everything she had. Always a class act, always kind to the littlest girls (me!) at the barn who hero-worshipped her when she was home teaching special lessons...
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Beezie was a well known and successful rider prior to college, as others have said.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 11-13, 2016

Beezie is always so kind and patient when my younger students bombard her with questions and ask for autographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Beezie's parents owned a lesson barn in Wisconsin.
    I was sitting right near them at Syracuse. They were very cute every time she came in the ring, and obviously very happy with Beezie's success.

Kathy and Joe Patton are awesome. Kathy used to teach occasionally when someone called out last minute and some of the BEST things I ever learned came from her. Joe used to drive the big rig They were very involved in the day to day and are great!
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Kathy and Joe Patton are awesome. Kathy used to teach occasionally when someone called out last minute and some of the BEST things I ever learned came from her. Joe used to drive the big rig They were very involved in the day to day and are great!
    Agreed, 100% on the awesomeness of Joe and Kathy!

I rode at their barn in Wisconsin my whole life until I went to college. I bought several ponies from/with Mrs. Patton and I wish I had appreciated all of the invaluable advice she had to offer as much as I should have! Their house was always filled with incredible pictures of Beezie and her horses I just can't say enough good things about them.
    "It is the ungraspable phantom of life, and this is the key to it all."