The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

bewitchedarabians...a single tear rolls down my cheek.

Your words are a comfort to me at this difficult time. *lip quiver*
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Red face Jocko My Version of El Pollo Diablo

I bought a few chickens at an Amish sale in the spring. Among those a rooster and two hens of the GOLDEN SELBRIGHT variety. I found out why the owner sold them; the rooster is an EL POLLO DIABLO. They are in a pen; each time I feed them, here he comes, attacking me and the feed scoop. Fights me through the wire, spurs poised for a good attack. Now, one of his wives is setting on eggs. Will soon have a bunch of devil roosters....

Perfectionist - you may be okay. There's a chance this is passed through mitochondrial inheritance, which would be mom. You will know if the chicks hatch with little horns on their heads.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Talking

I think of this original post about El Pollo Diablo each time I feed this sucker. The term "freakish little boyfriends" gets me each time! Jocko even spars with my horses if they get close to his pen......maybe he was a fighting rooster????? Lot of them around here!

Oh perfectionist! I think you have the re-incarnated El Pollo Diablo on your hands. Watch out. CHickens like that are just too bad to die.

I have a new, young rooster that has moved into my barn and he makes the EXACT sound of "Spike" the evil Gremlin in the movie of the same name. He has a little cluck buddy, who has a tail that sticks straight up at the top, giving him a wild, bad-boy look.

They are, fortunately, nothing like EPD. The scatter and "Baaa-CAWK" if you even look in their general direction and Luna HATES them. She tried to make pressed-chicken out of "Spike" when he made the mistake of thinking she would share her morning grain Apparently it was quite a sight, that I thankfully missed.

Beware the evil rooster and his freaky little girlfriends, perfectionist. They're planning dasturdly deeds upon you! It's the CMD mantra; Cluck or BE clucked!!!
    ~Jilltx~

Perfectionist, I had a Sebright rooster who was kind of like that, too. He was fine with people, but tried to pick fights with the cats, the dog, and other roosters who outweighed him by a factor of 10. Ironically, I never saw him hurt any of them, nor did any of them try to fight back. He'd just jump up and down, feathers standing on end, striking in their direction with his beak, while they looked at him like, "Umm, what's your problem?"
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Do your chickens roost in trees? The BO has a bunch of chickens of assorted breeds, and the roosters like to leap out of the trees onto unsuspecting chickens. The dogs get the eggs, for the most part, so I don't know if the chickies are horny little devils too.
    www.specialhorses.org

DG(grand prix)RH...

I think Mistyblue posted on this very thred about her encounters with the silent-but-deadly ninja chickens/roosters who liked to rain terror from above on poor, unsuspecting souls.

I made her shuush...because if EPD would have found out he would have added it to his tactical offensive strategy and NO ONE would have been safe.
    ~Jilltx~

It's kind of amusing to leave the barn, and as you open and close the gate...you notice chickens "going at it..." they do it a lot like fruit flies...the males hanging on top, the famles sqwaking around and carrying them on their backs...wait...isn't that how it happens in our species too?
    www.specialhorses.org

How on earth did this thread come back? Is it the anniversary of the demise of El Pollo Diablo??

I now have two pet chickens in addition to the laying and eating chickens we raise. Gossie and Gertie live outside my kitchen door. And eat my petunias! Naughty chickens!

We are training them with love, of course. Gossie is now incredibly spoiled and comes running for food (or love, whatever) whenever you step out of the house. She eats from your hand. It's actually rather sweet, although a little terrifying if you are not a person who really likes chickens.

Oh RR You've been sucked in by the old, "you distract her and I'll eat the petunias" guise. Once the petunias are gone, who do you think they'll be coming after??

Them chickens is crafty.

I'm guessing this thread is like EPD; good to the last bite. (Did I just type that out loud???)

Last week I went to give the BO's horses some water, and as I reached accross to the offside bucket to fill it I glanced down and saw a dark form floating in the bucket It was one of the freaky little girlfriends (a teenage-chicken actually) who had fallen in and drowned.

She was the spwan of the deviled-hen who bit the crap out of my finger.
    Bad BAD hen!!!
    ~Jilltx~

Awwwww...I still think of EPD often...
    I only have one rooster left now (actually he is the only chicken left, period), "Cowboy"...I guess HE is why I often remember and think of EPD...
    "Cowboy" got his name as his favorite pasttime is riding my pygmy wether Taz...Taz doesn't like this at all, lol, but Cowboy is an impressive rider, and he almost always makes his 8 seconds...He truly looks like a COWBOY, what with his finely feathered Bantam legs that look as though he is sporting a pair of bat-wing chaps...
    Thankfully, Cowboy is not EVIL as the dearly departed EPD was...Cowboy is, however, just a wee-bit "pyschotic" and has a "hair trigger"...While he and the horses and the goats get along fine and don't mind sharing thier feed tubs with him, he can be an imminent threat & danger to the other farm residents...
    Cowboy doesn't like NOISE or anything that moves quickly...which perfectly describes my poor little spastic Rat Terrier, Gracie...Gracie cannot go outside unattended...Cowboy makes a bee-line for her everytime...He even "stalks" outside of the back porch, watching her through the screen, lol, DARING her to come outside...Being a terrier, lol, well, the brain just don't work right, and she often forgets that Cowboy is out to get her...Sometimes she'll hit the screen door, opening it and running outside like a fruit bat outta hell, and of course, here comes Cowboy...Gracie just doesn't realize that she is a DOG and is faster and more powerful than a chicken...she draws up in a ball cowering once he catches up to her and just lays there while he attacks...at least his attack of her consists of no more than only ONE little casual peck on top of her head...by that time I've gotten out to save her and shushed him away...He'll go after SOME of the cats as well, if they get too close or come by him too fast...
    Several months back, THAT is what happened, one of the cats ran by him too close too fast one morning...the closest thing to him once the cat had run past was my other rooster (White Leghorn) "Slick"...While they had always gotten along and never had any problems with each other, the cat had flipped Cowboy's "hair trigger" switch and he jumped on the nearest thing---poor Slick...beat the absolute hell outta Slick...Luckily I was out feeding and was able to rush in to break them up and save Slick...After that, Slick would never go back into the backyard again, and started roosting on the front porch railing instead of the backyard fence...from there, he started "wandering" and "exploring"...the front yard became his territory, and ultimately, for some reason still unknown, Slick HAD to cross the road (why, oh why, did that chicken have to cross the road???!!!) At least he did not get RUN OVER crossing the road, but he discovered that the store was across the road, and thought it a good place to visit...I chased him back home twice, but alas, he HAD to back one last time...
    from eye-witness accounts, the last time Slick was seen, walking by the door to the store, eyewitnesses reported that Slick was "noticed" with great interest by a group of 6 Hispanic customers in a white van...That was the last that was ever seen of Slick...he mysteriously disappeared coincidently coinciding with the departure of the Hispanic gentlemen suspects...I was on the scene within +/-30 minutes of the last sighting of Slick by store personnel and the local groupies, umm I mean the eye-witnesses, who hang out there...I did a thorough search of the crime scene, umm, I mean premises, looking for any evidence. but no body, nor even a stray feather, nor chicken turd to be found...I spent over an hour calling and looking for him all around the store to no avail...he simply "disappeared"....it remains a "cold case"....I can only pray that at best, those that kidnapped him merely took him home to join some hens, or that he otherwise became a pot of chicken stew...but I fear that he may well have been sent into a horrible World of cock fighting...I pray not, as he was NOT a fighter, as Cowboy had already proven what a wuss Slick was...at least if THAT WAS his fate, I can take comfort in the thought that maybe those who kidnapped him certainly lost a good portion of that week's wages betting on him...
    I have found myself often referring to Cowboy using jilltx's "nickname" for EPD---"my freaky little boyfriend"...He is actually a good little "husband" though, lol...Everytime I go outside, here he comes to me, clucking and picking grass for me/finding "food" for me...yes, he is confused, lol, treating me as a hen, but it is actually quite endearing...
    Since he likes to ride the goat so very much, I did catch him a couple of times and put hiim up on a couple of the horses (in the past, I've had a few hens who regularly would ride the mares)...he was ok with it/didn't seem to mind, but made it obvious that he prefers to ride the goat only.
    So, while my Cowboy may be a bit psycho, I still love him anyhow, and he has become my own beloved "freaky little boyfriend" who keeps the memory of El Pollo Diablo alive...
    Tabatha

Quote Originally Posted by SimplySarah
    We never had chickens, but my best friend did, and we were always hypnotizing and putting them in trances.
    In addition to the flipping, if you put their wings over their head and hold it there for a few seconds, they will go into a trance. If you hold them to the ground and draw a line out from their beak in the ground, they will go into a trance. They will just lay there and will not move at all. (When we'd get bored with playing horses, we would mess with the chickens.. mucho fun.)

A random, weird non-country chicken story: We're in Key West, Florida when I'm about 11. We are camping on the Navy base, and decide to go off base to Pizza Hut. As I got out of the van and was walking to the restaurant, I am suddenly attacked by chickens. It seemed that everywhere we went in Key West, I was being attacked by chickens. They interacted equally with the tourists and were wicked wicked wicked spoiled birds. So, if you hate chickens, beware of Key West.
    Hey Sarah...fellow navy brat here. I was born in Key West and lived there for a number of years. There are chickens everywhere ..isn't there some type of law that allows them to roam free?

I'm definitely a mammal person. I consider all birds basically rats with wings. I had a weak moment last year and got 11 guinea chicks because my kids begged for them. We raised them from keets to ankle pecking, raucous adulthood, luckily for me (not for them), last fall the coyotes decreased the population rapidly and the two that are left are much more humble.

Talking "How on earth did this thread come back?"

[QUOTE=Reynard Ridge]How on earth did this thread come back? Is it the anniversary of the demise of El Pollo Diablo??]

I get the biggest kick reading this post. Maybe because as I stated each time I feed and fight with Jocko I think of EPD.

One of the other critters in his pen makes a funny noise like a gremlin too. Like he is "coughing" when he tries to crow a "ba kaw". Jocko problem did something to his vocal cords.

Someone has been messing with Jocko; he is missing his tail feathers now. I think I will put a mirror in his pen and let him fight himself.....

Default lol

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Lullaby
    Wow. It even stands on its head?!
    hubby and i did that too, he also goes around the room and pees like a dog
    Little Wishes Pony Parties

"Cause don't the sunshine lay the brightest on the shoulders of the wild?
    And don't the breeze blow the sweetest on the face of its own child?"

kris delmhorst