The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Ahhh life at the craptastic barn ebbs ever forward. So far no major difficulties and I'm actually making friends (both human and equine)and enjoying all the space and relative quiet.

There is one little thing, well actually several little things, that bear watching:
    Chickens. Lots and lots of chickens and their freakish little rooster boyfriends. One rooster in particular makes the most demonic hiss and squak if you even look in his general direction. I have dubbed him, "el Pollo Diablo" and I swear one morning his little chicken head is going to turn right around in a 360 as he spits up pea soup.

The cool thing is that my filly is REALLY getting some good exposure to things that go "baaaaCAWK" in the night. Nothing like surprising a flock of spastic cackling chickens to awaken your every sense. So far they've managed to scare me more than my filly.

I've become very adept at launching full-scale chicken tack trunk rearrangement offensives (or CTTRO's) to keep the feathered massses out of my stall and hay (yes I know they carry salmonella, hence my angst). SO far, I seem to be one step ahead and they are taking up residence elsewhere.

I must confess that these chickens do one thing that really creeps me out; they chant. I swear they sit up in the rafters while I pick my stall and they CHANT. It begins as a low rolling "bawk squak" then they all join into this rolling, low-to-high "b a w k...bawk bawk...b a w k" and the sound just escalates as all the chickens and roosters begin to chant in unison. It sounds like they're plotting a full-scale chicken rebellion. Even my filly stops munching on her hay, cocks her head (pun intended) and listens.

So chicken people, why, pray tell, so they DO this?? They're creeping me out man!!

They tell me that the FFA leases one of the barns in the fall for their animals. My next installment: Pigs and the horses that hate them. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif ...oh the J O Y
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Ahhh life at the craptastic barn ebbs ever forward. So far no major difficulties and I'm actually making friends (both human and equine)and enjoying all the space and relative quiet.

There is one little thing, well actually several little things, that bear watching:
    Chickens. Lots and lots of chickens and their freakish little rooster boyfriends. One rooster in particular makes the most demonic hiss and squak if you even look in his general direction. I have dubbed him, "el Pollo Diablo" and I swear one morning his little chicken head is going to turn right around in a 360 as he spits up pea soup.

The cool thing is that my filly is REALLY getting some good exposure to things that go "baaaaCAWK" in the night. Nothing like surprising a flock of spastic cackling chickens to awaken your every sense. So far they've managed to scare me more than my filly.

I've become very adept at launching full-scale chicken tack trunk rearrangement offensives (or CTTRO's) to keep the feathered massses out of my stall and hay (yes I know they carry salmonella, hence my angst). SO far, I seem to be one step ahead and they are taking up residence elsewhere.

I must confess that these chickens do one thing that really creeps me out; they chant. I swear they sit up in the rafters while I pick my stall and they CHANT. It begins as a low rolling "bawk squak" then they all join into this rolling, low-to-high "b a w k...bawk bawk...b a w k" and the sound just escalates as all the chickens and roosters begin to chant in unison. It sounds like they're plotting a full-scale chicken rebellion. Even my filly stops munching on her hay, cocks her head (pun intended) and listens.

So chicken people, why, pray tell, so they DO this?? They're creeping me out man!!

They tell me that the FFA leases one of the barns in the fall for their animals. My next installment: Pigs and the horses that hate them. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif ...oh the J O Y
    ~Jilltx~

Jilltx -- Where HAVE you placed the beauteous Luna? Chickens!!??!!

What no Guenias and Ducks!!!! LOL I do love my poultry always have had some for eggs and meat. Plus there an excellant way to control flies and bugs. All that noise is there way of trying to scare you away, poultry are pretty much sitting ducks ( pun intended ) when it comes to self defense. When there roosting they make noise in hopes there not the one thats eaten by a varmit or caught for a stew pot.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I am not a chicken people. I have no idea why birds do anything. But I do have to say I laughed like hell at this post! Too funny!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

p.s. You do an amazing chicken imitation http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

AND I think I have some catching up to do to find out why you're at a new barn.

jilltx,
    Girlfriend, they don't like you. I'd watch your back if I were you.

That said, I like my chickens best with BBQ sauce http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif.

I have Mike the chicken(this one has a head) who beams himself in from nowhere when I grain my horses.
    Unlike yours Mike is cool. He will eat out of your hand until the other smaller chickens come and run him off (mike isn't very brave he is well...you know)

Am a soft touch to anything with feathers and the fowl creatures know it.

Every time I show up I am subject to 'chick'anery and pan'hen'deling.

I have parrots so I have learned that...
    1- All birds bite even if they like you.
    2- You can't bite them back.
    2- They know who they can bully and they will.
    3- There is no such thing as a constipated bird.
    4- They never run out of feathers,
    5- Never throw anything edible at a flock they will call in their flocks from LA to Anchorage for a free lunch and you will be lucky to survive.

I'm sorry what was the origional question?
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

We had the meanest roster at our farm when I was a kid. His name was Mr Peabody. He would wait to see you leave the house enroute to the barn and chase you. Keep in mind I was about 6 at the time. The trick was to carry a broom as a weapon. It still makes me scared of chickens. One day he teased a big rottweiler. No more Mr Peabody. My advice give them away and keep 2 girls

JillTX you have brought back memories from my childhood that I have tried very hard to forget. The crazy attack rooster. OMG, when I was a kid there was one of there at a barn I boarded at. I was terrrifed of the damn thing. you just looked crosseyed at it and it would go after you. I finally had to start carrying a lunge whip around with me for protection anytime I went down to that end of the barn.

Frikin chickin was begging to become bbq!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I think you need to show up with a knowing look and a bucket of KFC. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Reed

SED...I am sorry to have to tell you that the beautious Luna is being boarded at a facility not 5 miles from my home. It's completely craptastic and my new mantra is, "funky but functional". It's working out better than I had hoped and Luna seems quite happy, despite the chickens in choppers.

RAyers wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you need to show up with a knowing look and a bucket of KFC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

5 and Reynard Ridge:
    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

For the rest of us, I cry, "FOWL"!!

Nikita darling, where HAVE you been keeping yourself???
    ~Jilltx~

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

We had two roosters at the barn. One chased one of the kids and she climbed up a fence to get away from him. A trainer fended him off with a rake when he tried to attack. They, uh, disappeared after the BO found out about them (it is apparently illegal to have rosters in that city).

I'm not real fond of birds myself. Maybe it was that swan that attacked me when I was about 10. The Penguin Movie was cute tho.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jilltx:
    ... chickens in choppers.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You're wouldn't be referring to a line from the infamous Cows With Guns song are you??? (link has a link to watch the movie)
    The Evil Chem Prof

Peggy...absolutely!

When the chickens starting chanting it's like they're UP to something... and I'm betting choppers are involved. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif
    ~Jilltx~

We have chickens on our farms...we don't eat a lot of eggs, but prior to them we had a huge skeeter problem. Honestly, they would congregate and try to carry my two year old off in a big flock. Since the chickens, they've kept the bugs way down, and they tease our dogs. The dogs have a dog run, and there's the suicide chicken who won't drink out of the chicken water, she wants the dogs water. You watch her and the dogs and the chicken will have a staring contest with them...the chicken will slowly go up to the chain link, and just as quick as she shoots her head into the water bucket, the dogs make a run for it. Course, she only has to back her head 2 inches and she's out of danger, but the dogs, meanwhile, haven't learned from last time and are going full bore and body slam the fence. The chicken turns on her heel and I swear her cackling sounds more like laughter then just chicken noises at this point...

I also just love how they will make a special trip to crap on my porch, and will do their very best to sneak into the garage when I'm not looking so I end up locking them in with the dog food. Then they can pretend the are actually good fliers and try to get on my jeep, missing horribly and scratching up my door. Yup gotta love the chickens...all 14 of them.
    Monica
    Muddy Paw Farms

<><

I gotta chickens, was 6 now 5, hmmm. The next day two pit bull type dogs were at the coop, I didn't let them out after one went missing. It's a good thing or I might not have any.

I ordered 6 hens for laying eggs and I think one is a rooster. They Rhode Island Reds so I don't think he'll be mean, if he gets nasty, I will pick him up and firmly explain the rules of survival at my farm. If he stays nasty he'll be sleeping out and taking his chances with the fox, hmmm.

The horse find them interesting, they walk under the horses one minute and then a horse will start to follow it and then they run. Ha ha, it's funny.

Like it was said, it gets the horses used to strange things and sounds. Now turkeys are another story, hmmm.

the broom is the key!

Methinks they need a reminder- tell them to go to http://www.subservientchicken.com

er wait. Maybe they are getting you back for all the "fun" things you made the subservient chicken do.

Karma's a beeee-otch man. Watch your back. Chickens don't play fair.

-Amy

Look on the bright side...the rooster hasn't attacked you. Yet. He probably will though. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    My all time favorite was the barn rooster who would roost in trees or on beams...never make a single cluck in warning and drop on the back of your neck when you went under him. Flapping, pecking and digging those spurs in. He was a Sniper Rooster...worst kind of rooster. They hide in high places, remain quiet and drop on the enemy out of nowhere.
    The Ninja Rooster wasn't much better...he saved his attacks for full frontal ones...whilst one was mounted. Apparently one ring was HIS. He'd come out from under the announcers booth and do flying front kicks at horse chests, screaming "Karate CHOP!" every few seconds. Althugh Ninja Rooster did meet his demise when he Karate Chopped the wrong pony. Cricket took offense, grabbed Ninja in his mouth during a flying kick and swung him around a tad before flinging him into the fence. The poor pony rider was traumatized...the kid's instructor and myself were laying in the footing laughing until we cried. Seeing the pony walk off looking proud of himself with feathers stuck to his nose was even funnier!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally quoted by Jilltx: ..."funky but functional". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Sounds just like the farm where I board. The farm owner "had" chickens too. These were quite nice, though. They were Dominicker (sp?) hens (4 of 'em) and a silky Rooster. They all caught on real quick that seeing me and the hubby walking out to the pasture with a bucket meant a free meal. All the horses, except Penny, let them peck around the feed pan. Penny made it clear that every pellet was meant for her and she'd flatten any chicken beneath her dinner-plate feet who tried to get near.

One by one, though, the local predators took their tool. First one hen, then another, then the rooster till we were down to one lone chicken: Alice. She was around for quite a while until Mr. Chicken Hawk saw his opportunity for a take-out meal. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif All that was left was a 1/2 mature egg and some feathers. Poor Alice.

Thanks for the story, though. Made me start the day off with a good laugh!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.