The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Mine That Bird - retired

Finally.

After going 0-9 they finally made the call

“We don’t want to hurt him or disgrace him anymore,” said Blach, who owns Mine That Bird with his neighbor, Mark Allen of Double Eagle Ranch. “He’ll live out his days here at Double Eagle. We’ve got a special paddock and shed for him.”
    All good things come to an end. Glad to hear he'll get to enjoy his future days of rest.

Finally!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Don't forget, Dr. Blach, he reallyreallyREALLY wants to come to my house and be my pony!!

Seriously though, best wishes on your retirement, Little Big Hoss.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Glad to hear it! For whatever reason, he clearly isn't in the game anymore.

Happy grazing and life of leisure, Mine that Bird.

I suppose now that he is retired he can focus more on his own movie:

The Hollywood Reporter Nov 4, 2010 "Kentucky Derby Winner Mine That Bird May Star in His Own Biopic"

I can only image on filming set, MTB remarking to the crew "you don't know how good it is to be at the track again - winning"

"Alright, I'm ready for my winning finish, Mr. DeMille"

Good news. It pays to listen to the horse. He has clearly said no more, please...

Thank God!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    Thank God!
    Agreed. Though his performance certainly slipped off after the Belmont, his performance seemed to go much more precipitously downhill after being turned over to Lukas. At least he seems to be retiring sound, if not fast.

I feel sort of bad that he is going to just live in a paddock. No babies, no breeding. I wish they would retrain and make him a show horse or trail horse or track pony or something!

I am assuming that he would need a let down period at least, and then maybe they will do something with him. He is a gelding so baby making is out for him. I am sure that if he needs something to do, they will work out something for him.

I wonder if they WILL use him in the movie--that would be awesome. But as the little ABC/ESPN filler piece pointed out, it takes a special temperament to be a movie horse.

I've never seen a US race horse as universally loved as Mine That Bird. Even the hard, hard core handicappers never had a bad thing to say about him. I remember them ripping poor Funny Cide to pieces after his form went downhill.

But somehow, you have to love the little Bird. I hope he's happy in retirement. I also hope they actually make the movie and he's in it. I'll be first in line to see it. Heck, I'll watch his webcam some more if they put that back up.

Racehorses aren't supposed to be "cute", but this dude's irresistible.
    <><

I think people just love a good little guy story! He was from nowhere, wasn't big shiney fancy giant horse, and a longshot.

I always hope that a gelding with a race career like this gets a chance to try the horse show world, KEEPING his registered name. Less concussion, less physically demanding, but perhaps a place where he can show his athletic abilities, and promote his breed in it's secondary outstanding purpose, if he has that talent. Most of the TBs that go to the h/j disciplines are NOT the GOOD ones, they are the culls. The ones that are immature but not seriously damaged, or have little talent as race horses. The GOOD ones, stay racing until a time where injury stops their race career, or milage and wear may effect their later athleticism.

Here is a GOOD one, who has no value to the TB breeding industry, who apparently may be sound enough in the long run to be able to show what a GOOD TB can do in it's secondary career. And by doing so, may help to promote the after racing career for many other OTTBs, who do not get the promotion and marketing that some other breeds get. If he has the talent, he could continue to be in the spotlight.

I feel the same about Budroyal, who is standing around, locally, and has been for years. OMG, with the money these geldings have made... pay a h/j rider/trainer to give them a try, and if they have the talent, get them to the shows, and pubicize their successes.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    I always hope that a gelding with a race career like this gets a chance to try the horse show world, KEEPING his registered name. Less concussion, less physically demanding, but perhaps a place where he can show his athletic abilities, and promote his breed in it's secondary outstanding purpose, if he has that talent. Most of the TBs that go to the h/j disciplines are NOT the GOOD ones, they are the culls. The ones that are immature but not seriously damaged, or have little talent as race horses. The GOOD ones, stay racing until a time where injury stops their race career, or milage and wear may effect their later athleticism.

Here is a GOOD one, who has no value to the TB breeding industry, who apparently may be sound enough in the long run to be able to show what a GOOD TB can do in it's secondary career. And by doing so, may help to promote the after racing career for many other OTTBs, who do not get the promotion and marketing that some other breeds get. If he has the talent, he could continue to be in the spotlight.

I feel the same about Budroyal, who is standing around, locally, and has been for years. OMG, with the money these geldings have made... pay a h/j rider/trainer to give them a try, and if they have the talent, get them to the shows, and pubicize their successes.

That's what I was saying as well. He is sound, young, athletic horse - seems a waste to sit in the paddock - it always kind of is but at least stallions and mares have breeding and babies to occupy their mind. I do remember the G1 winner Del Mar Dennis showing as a hunter under his racing name and that was really cool!

I think they ought to offer him to the US Equestrian Team to see if he has potential in any of their disciplines.
    What great publicity for both racing and Olympics equestrian that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    I always hope that a gelding with a race career like this gets a chance to try the horse show world, KEEPING his registered name.
    "Inside Information" had a story about a successful gelding they tried to transition into a show horse, but he hated it! I want to say it was Best Pal, but I could be wrong. Anyway, the farm that bred him took him back and he lived happily ever after.

I'm all for the effort though. If they want MTB to try eventing I'll take him
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    "Inside Information" had a story about a successful gelding they tried to transition into a show horse, but he hated it! I want to say it was Best Pal, but I could be wrong. Anyway, the farm that bred him took him back and he lived happily ever after.

I'm all for the effort though. If they want MTB to try eventing I'll take him
    Kelso certainly seemed to enjoy his time in the hunt field.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    I feel sort of bad that he is going to just live in a paddock. No babies, no breeding. I wish they would retrain and make him a show horse or trail horse or track pony or something!
    One very famous, hard knocking, stakes winning AQHA race gelding now belongs to an AQHA Director from my state and is his trail and elk hunting horse. I would not have believed it if I had not seen it.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Like Nancy, I wish they would place him somewhere he could try a new job.

Second choice would be KY Horse Park.

Third choice - can we have our stallcam back?

I hope he DOES get to appear in his own movie though. Would be a real shame if not.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief