The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sarkozy or San Amour?

Can someone comment on the differences between these two boys? What kind of mare works best for each one?

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

No one here has seen both of these stallions in person? Or seen foals by them?

DY, you might pm Walnut Farm as I believe she has seen a number of Sarkozy foals in Germany.

Regarding San Amour, Goodness Ridge Farm had a filly by him last year and might be able to provide some insights.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Original Poster

Thanks, I will check with them. I am also checking with my contacts in Germany.

The San Amour foals are generally long legged, glamourous, active movers, so the foal buyers love them.

I have seen quite a few now and a few are lacking a little power behind and not always optimal in the hind leg conformation but generally if you like the S Hit line you will really like the san Amours

I havent seen so many Sarkozys I am afraid, and the few I did were OK, but not really wow in their paces. I know he himself is now quite heavy in his body but still from the front view, quite narrow and almost a little light of bone for his big frame. he has a super temperament on the ground.
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Sacha!

Hm, I just saw Sarkozy and didn't think he was heavy through the body or too narrow. He was quite well behaved on the ground, and I did notice he was one of the few stallion allowed to hang his head out over the stall. He does have presence, though not as much as his sire across the aisle. SH is a hunk!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Hm, I just saw Sarkozy and didn't think he was heavy through the body or too narrow. He was quite well behaved on the ground, and I did notice he was one of the few stallion allowed to hang his head out over the stall. He does have presence, though not as much as his sire across the aisle. SH is a hunk!
    Thanks for the info!

Does this mean you also just saw Mr. T?

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Does this mean you also just saw Mr. T?
    I didn't see him I think he showed up a week or so after my trip. I would have loved to see him up close & personal. PS is a pretty cool place to visit

Seen Sarkozy and he is rather heavy (IMO), although a super horse himself ofcourse (Eva no slacking rider either lol)

I think you should look at as many foals yourself.....I know that both are black and beautiful and so on and forth.

I must say, of all of the foals I have seen from both I was very dissapointed. As Sacha says, lack of hindleg mainly (not active or under) sorry, just a very important trait for me! and these were out of good mares!

I am SURE there are some good ones out there ! not say ing that.
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Goodmorning, I am lucky enough to work at PS and Sarkozy has got much heavier and coarser in his frame this season. I have also walked up to him in the barn while he was being groomed and didnt even realise it was him from the front, I thought it was one of the babies until I stood and looked at him side on - thats how narrow he is from the front profile compared to the side.I do like the horse actually but wouldnt use him myself.
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Original Poster

Sacha and Linda, thanks very much for your input. Mare in question has a very good hindleg and engine, and from what I am hearing, we are thinking that San Amour may be a better choice for her. We may still look around a bit, but I guess he is at the top of the list at the moment.