The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you have a driving path and what is it made out of?

We have to drive for the most part in a 5 acre field where the horses normally are. Of course they have roughed up some parts of it and I would like to smooth and perhaps surface these areas with something. Naturally I want it cheap, easy to do and durable (that never comes together). Do you use used shavings, sand, pea gravel or just grade the dirt? Water drains across the center part of this field but its good at the ends. Any solutions? Thanks.

When I was a brand new horse owner and found a mud bog in front of the barn, I used cartloads of shavings from our neighbor's furniture, etc. business. There were tons and they were free and clean.

BIG mistake! They were great for a while, then the shavings began to break down and made it the slipperiest mud you've ever seen. It took a few years for it to work itself out.

So, I would recommend against using shavings for anything other than bedding.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

When I was new at driving, I was driving my Hackney in my front pasture. The grass could be a bit slippery, so my husband made us a track out of composted manure. It was a great surface and we used it a lot. And there was no shortage of materials!

Rebecca

I don't. I just use the country and what's there. I do leave set aside tracks round the perimeters of some fields. If the fields are VERY wet and boggy then I use the lanes or tracks.

You can probably see here where there's set aside tracks. They have hard standing of boulders and then just smaller stones on top and then mud or grass ..... or snow! dependent on the time of the year:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.038581&z=15

Oh, how I would love to have the space you do Thomas. We have only 6 acres and are in a suburban area with a few horse farms still around. If it is very quiet I venture out onto the paved street but I have pulled the pony's shoes for the winter so its just walking on the asphalt.

We put in a stone dust track around the perimeter of our field - it works great. The cost will have to do with the distance you go and how much material you need. We drive on it, I hack on it, and my nephews drive their go-kart on it. It's quite useful!

It's about 6" in most places.

Default Pecan shells

The best driving pathways I have ever used were PECAN SHELLS ~

Something special !!!
    Looked nice & durable * even in snowy weather
    Smelled clean and sounded "fun"

All horses and ponies enoyed them ~ from conditioning TB race horses to Saddlebreds ~

Used for outside ring perimeters as well as inside rings and outside trails in the woods.

VERY COOL INDEED !!! IMHO
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

When our girls used to event, lots of the venues used peanut shells for footing. I imagine the birds and mice would be happy, and by association, the cats.