The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

REQUEST: IF YOU HAVE A BURNING DESIRE TO DISCUSS THE ADA OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL CRUSADE, PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD AND DO NOT POST ON MINE!

God, I'm scared to ask this question...

We're halfway through the selection trials, and there have been some very good performances by Beezie Madden, Fein Cera, and others... I think we can all agree that MGE is a terrific rider, and Perin is a terrific horse.

The question is this: If you were on the selection committee, and you had to decide on the basis of MGE and Perin's one clean round (over a course in which 11 other horses went clean), would you grant her a bye and put her on the team?

Me? I would wait until the end of the trials, and see how I felt about the strength of the team that "earned" the spot based on their performance. If the selection trials produces 4 seasoned, top notch competitors... I think I would probably not include MGE and Perin (as much as I would feel for them for the bad luck they had). If, on the other hand, the trials produces a team that appears flukey... I'd probably replace the weakest rider with MGE and Perin.

REQUEST: IF YOU HAVE A BURNING DESIRE TO DISCUSS THE ADA OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL CRUSADE, PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD AND DO NOT POST ON MINE!

God, I'm scared to ask this question...

We're halfway through the selection trials, and there have been some very good performances by Beezie Madden, Fein Cera, and others... I think we can all agree that MGE is a terrific rider, and Perin is a terrific horse.

The question is this: If you were on the selection committee, and you had to decide on the basis of MGE and Perin's one clean round (over a course in which 11 other horses went clean), would you grant her a bye and put her on the team?

Me? I would wait until the end of the trials, and see how I felt about the strength of the team that "earned" the spot based on their performance. If the selection trials produces 4 seasoned, top notch competitors... I think I would probably not include MGE and Perin (as much as I would feel for them for the bad luck they had). If, on the other hand, the trials produces a team that appears flukey... I'd probably replace the weakest rider with MGE and Perin.

I agree - I would wait to see how the trials played out and what team emerged on that basis before I decided whether to give her a bye, although that makes it an even harder situation because you then have one rider from the trials who very specifically gets "bumped". It is just such a shame that she got hurt and that it even has to be an issue.

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif the selectors sure have a tough decision to make on that one. I just read Molly Sorge's article regarding an interview with Ray Texel, and according to Ray, the selection committee is not granting a bye to Margie, at this time, they want to leave the committee's options open to see what happens with the remainder of the trials...

I really feel for Margie, and think that she (and Perin) is really one of the greats, but applaud the selectors for keeping their options open...

Let's just hope that their decision making is based on fielding a competitve team and leaves the politics in the background...

ANyone else?
    West of nowhere

Honestly, I'm not sure I want someone who isn't healed on our team...and I think she is rushing things physically and mentally...She is awesome, and Perin is also wonderful BUT its a team and I'm not sure they are the best for the job at this time. Plus I'd hate to see her get hurt far away from her doctors and therapists!
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Although I'd absolutely love to see her go, I am not the selection committee nor her doctor, and whatever they decide is what should be. And I'm sure she completely understands the situation. It way sucks, but that's how the cookie crumbles. She'll be back with other great partners, and who knows, Perin might just age very well.

No way, Jose. Her leg doesn't want to play, but WOW - what steely resolve to even get out there and go for broke. She ought to get a medal just for that - incredible.

As much as I love Margie and admire her tenacity to get back out there so quickly after her fall, I think that if it were up to me, I would have to say that no, I would not put her on the team. I think that we have plenty of strong, healthy riders left in there to fill the slot and do well. Given different rider/horse combinations it may have been a different story.

IMHO, no.

One good round does not make for a barometer with future performance. Single great rounds happen - I seem to recall that Ms. Haas on Mr. Blue put in at least one brilliant round back in 2000 for the qualifiers, but over the grueling test series finished 6th overall.

I think a lot of the doubt in giving MGE and Perin and bye was/is related not to Margie's performance, but rather the fact that Perin did not compete in 2004 while she was off her feet.

It begs the question, if the Olympics was the goal for Hidden Creeks: why wasn't Perin put into competition with another top rider in the interim? (With it made clear Margie when well would resume the ride on Perin if selected) As a for instance, would it have been that hard to approach someone like a Peter Leone at WEF and have him go into a few GPs with Perin? You sign a contract, sort out the payment/earnings terms and move on.

The selection committee having nothing fresh to go on with recent performance would be foolish to assume that a shelved horse, no matter how good in late 2003, is going to rally to the top at the Olympics in short order.

MGE's determination I'm sure was simply not at question when she applied … although her now exacerbated health condition sadly will likely be.

MHO,

From what I have read and heard, Margie will not be phsyically ready, to compete by Athens. We need a complete and healthy team that is practicing and competing, not resting, as the Games approach. Sorry Margie. We still loff you and Perin. If we wait until the end of the trials and boot someone who earned their way by performing at their best at the right moment, how fair is that? In life timing is everything. May the best team win.

My 2 cents!!!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

I agree with what das been said here. Margie is a fabulous rider, and it truly sucks that she had such a bad accident in an olympic year, but that is the risk we take for getting on these huge beasts.

We have not had a good olympics in SJ in a long time. We need to send the best out there, and on any other day MGE IS one of the best. But for now she needs to stay home and heal, take one for the good of the team.
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">No, I wouldn't. Just jumping that one round caused re-injury, and she's said herself this is an injury that takes a long time to heal. She certainly is a superwoman and was undoubtedly ahead of this schedule, but now she's had a setback. IMO, her being healed enough by August is doubtful. </span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">THAT SAID, I wouldn't object to a bye if we end up with a super-green horse/rider in the top 4; in that case, I'd consider it an equal risk and would sooner go with Margie and Perin's experience, and keep my fingers crossed WRT the injury. I'd bank on an injured Margie any day over a horse/rider combo with no international experience.</span>

Hey, I figured out the <span class="ev_code_RED">C</span><span class="ev_code_YELLOW">O</span><span class="ev_code_GREEN">L</span><span class="ev_code_BLUE">O</span><span class="ev_code_PURPLE">R</span><span class="ev_code_PINK">S</span>!

When is the team actually announced?

Are the Olympics in September?

I think that if the USEF were trying to construct a team AND Margie WAS a consideration, that they would ask Margie how she really feels about both her & Perin's physical condition before the final team was decided upon.

Margie, who has always done what is right for the good of our country, would give an honest answer.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

Olympics in August...

Here is the link to Molly's interview with Ray Texel

Bye or not to Bye?

Of course, with Norman and Glascow out (boo hoo!), maybe she should allow HIM to try the horse.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

By the way, Mr. Blue is an incredible horse... and if the Haas' ever want him to retire to Ireland, I would take him in a heartbeat!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Isn't Mr. Blue in France right now? I miss watching Elise ride http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

Great idea, Weatherford, i.e., the possible pairing of Norman and Perin! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
    Great idea, Weatherford, i.e., the possible pairing of Norman and Perin! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think someone in-the-know posted it wasn't likely, but is it REALLY not likely? Like, it couldn't happen so stop mentioning and thinking about it? Or dare to dream because it's not ENTIRELY out of the question?

Certainly in the old days, that pairing would have been a distinct possibility. These days....
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
    Certainly in the old days, that pairing would have been a distinct possibility. These days.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please forgive my young ignorance, but what's the difference between the "old days" and now in a situation like this?

IMHO, I think that they should save the team for the best of the best ... this is of course the Olympics. I think that since MGE is not completely "sound", I do NOT think she should get a bye because this could end up hurting the Americans in the long run. She is an AMAZING rider and with all of the great horses that she has in her barn (including HCs Jones), she will surely be able to have a great horse to ride in 4 years even though Perin is getting up there.

So IMHO, she should NOT get the bye ... the selectors should save the spots for the best "sound" riders.