The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spectators at the Breeder's Cup

OK race people, why are the spectators more respectful when the horses walk through? I'm surprised that Zenyatta doesn't bloody colic from all the crazy screaming spectators!

Why are or why aren't they?

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Well, consider how her little "dance" has been hyped. Oh, she's just excited, look at her prancing! Why would the crowd think otherwise?

Most of these horses appear quite used to the rigamarole. I'm sure it doesn't occur to the spectators to be silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser12 View Post
    OK race people, why are the spectators more respectful when the horses walk through? I'm surprised that Zenyatta doesn't bloody colic from all the crazy screaming spectators!
    ??

Have you never watched the Kentucky Derby? The Grand National? The Japan Cup?
    People getting excited about horses...... oh the horror!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Well, consider how her little "dance" has been hyped. Oh, she's just excited, look at her prancing! Why would the crowd think otherwise?

Most of these horses appear quite used to the rigamarole. I'm sure it doesn't occur to the spectators to be silent.
    Adding on to that.. it seems to me (not in the racing industry - I'm an eventer) that horse racing has the most fans that are NOT horse people. Meaning at H/J shows.. dressage shows.. even event trials, the majority of people are riders/somehow involved with horses. I would say a lot of people there are not, AND they're probably all nice and warm in their Dos Equis beer blankets

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Yah, I know, most of them aren't really horse people, I guess I would just have to be more quiet, knowing that the stress can be so unsettling. Of course these horses are more use to it.
    Bummer Zenyatta lost by a nose.
    It is funny how the media is HYPPING up her "dance" I kept thinking, "I dont' really see any dancing her people", but whatever, it's great coverage for the sport and for TBs.
    My poor OTTB would have come completely unglued in that commotion- guess that's one reason he's Off The Track-!

To add, it's not that I think the spectators should be quiet altogether, just a little quieter when the horses are walking so closely to them, or the way to be saddled.
    Last edited by Cruiser12; Nov. 6, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: had to add a comment.

plus...it's the last race..they are drunk!
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    plus...it's the last race..they are drunk!
    LOL- good point!!

I have followed racing for years and have never heard commotion like that before. Even the great Baffert was in awe of the crowd noise and said he couldn't remember ever seeing a frenzied crowd like that, even at the KY derby. A shame she lost by a nose, two more strides and she'd have won, as it was, she started WAY too far behind and still managed to run down all the boys - she probably won't get horse of the year, but she should.
    Just remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

The non-horsey crowd at Churchill was more respectful than say the horsey crowd at HITS on the Hudson who think nothing of riding a motor bike or gas powered golf cart through the middle of a line of horses going to and from the barn area or ring.

LOL !!! Isn't that the truth !
    Only I was thinking of HITS Thermal...
    the scooters are ridden in the barn aisles (inside the barn),
    as well as around the barns, past the rings.....etc.
    -Amor vincit omnia-