The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Giving Up

i am curious as to how many people are selling out due to the basic lack of having horses and no one to do anything with them? due to logistics in boarding, competing and trail riding i have found myself with a couple of horses and no way of doing anything with them. anyone else having this issue?

If doing things with horses and other people is important to you, maybe you ought to consider going where the action is?

There are still many places where people do much with their horses, activities many times in a week and intensive on the weekends.

A friend is a barrel racer and she went to a race Thursday evening, another Friday, where she qualified for today's finals and also this noon went to yet another small barrel race.
    Those barrel racers seem to always have something going on and spend many hours training either all day or if they have a job, in their off hours.

In the East, it is the same with hunter/jumpers, you have a chance to participate most every weekend somewhere, just as it is with western riding and kids playdays and 4H, open or breed shows.

There is a whole horse world out there, but you have to be where the action is to be able to participate in it.

Lots to do out here in the wild and wooly west....even for horses that are not working ranch stock (they are busy bringing in cattle from grazing to home pastures now and sorting off the spring calves from the cows). Friends just were at the national finals for the team roping event...and won a decent amount and a saddle. It is a short dry spell for cutters, reiners and reined cowhorses but things pick up in about late Jan...a two month break isn't bad. Despite the cool nights (now getting frosty, snow predicted tomorrow night) the days are nice and the aspen in the canyons up in the nearby mountain range are just gorgeous. Days aren't so hot you can't stand to be out in the sun. People here also do night rides when there is enough moonlight (about a week or 10 days out of the month)...whole different world. Even when it finally does snow it is usually dry and powdery so riding is still fun if you know how to dress for it.

I'm mostly a breeder so right now is advertizing time, weaning/handling time for this years babies that are still here, dreaming up exactly the right combo for next years breedings, checking pregnant mares etc. Also meeting deadlines for stallion breeding reports and registrations so as to save $$. It has been a great time to buy very well bred mares (and a new stallion) as others drop out or thin down...and with the new investment tax laws it is also a time to save tax money. Reevaluating the business plan and looking out 4-5 years ahead, deciding who stays and who is for sale....all takes time and is interesting and fun.

I have my horses mostly because I enjoy their company.
    However, I do live in an area where it isn't easy to find trainers. I have one place I would ride at or send a horse for training, but that's it.
    No driving trainers around, etc. Really a very limited pool.

So, I just accept that, but have also decided to move, and I am moving to a place where around every corner is an excellent trainer for my discipline.

I have lived here for a long time, and just know...I am living in a horse training deprived/deficient area.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I have known people who have sold out for similar reasons, or more frequently just mostly quit riding and just kept the critters as pasture puffs.

If you want, though, I'm sure the COTH community could give you some suggestions on how to make things more interesting or find some riding buddies or whatever if you're a bit more specific. I find often there is a lot more going on than some realize. I live in a very small, rural area where there are very few people in my disciplines and interests and I manage to have a very active horsey social life, but I never would have guessed it when I first moved down here. And even the lack of a horse trailer isn't a big deal, it might limit you somewhat but there are often people who are willing to pick you up if your horses are good and you split the gas!

I certainly understand; I am about at that point now. I live in a horsey area, but can't find an affordable boarding barn with decent riding facilities. I've been riding on sides of hills and dealing with really bad footing for years now. I've just become very frustrated at the whole situation and I'm ready to give up riding.

I would love to move to a different location, but until the job market improves, it is probably not a smart idea.

Have you checked into leasing someone else's horse? In this economy, a lot of people would like the share expenses. Or if you own your horse and it is suitable for lessons, can you send it to a barn and allow them to do a lesson or two a week on the horse for a discount?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Have you checked into leasing someone else's horse? In this economy, a lot of people would like the share expenses. Or if you own your horse and it is suitable for lessons, can you send it to a barn and allow them to do a lesson or two a week on the horse for a discount?
    I'll look into shareboarding down the road. The horses I have now though are OTTBs and not suitable for lessons. They are sale projects though. I love working with them, but I don't feel I am doing right by them by trying to train them on bad footing. Once I get them into their new homes, I can re-evaluate things and go from there.

this is one of those LOCATION SPECIFIC threads people. Could you PLEASE post your general location?- Otherwise people will find it hard to relate or give advice. The OP did, but most everyone else on this thread didn't. What is the big deal with showing your general vicinity? Like, at least NE, NW, SE- ya know?

temporarily fell of the earth ... thanks for the tips