The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Washing machine in barn

If your washing machine is in a room that gets below freezing, how do yo keep it from freezing and being damaged?

well, like any other water hose/pipe on the farm. drain before it freezes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

what if you can find a back in the day washing machine - just a thought-i have two..

Antifreeze? You could use ethelene glycol based or use RV antifreeze.

When you need to run it do a short rinse cycle and then you're ready to rock and roll!

G.

The biggest problems are the pump and seals (which is the lowest point in the water flow loop), and the inlet solenoid valves just inside the back of the machine.

Take the back off the machine and make sure that if you lay the drain hose out flat the pump will drain. If so, run the machine through a spin cycle so the drain valve will open and let the remaining water out.

Whether or not disconnecting the inlet water hoses at the back of the machine (not at the water faucets) will adequately drain the solenoid valves depends on their location and orientation.

We had a massive mid-winter power failure at one of my laundromats and I had to replace about half of the solenoid valves.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I bought a used machine on Craigslist for $150.00 in the summer of 2009 after doing some reseach on an appliance repair forum. The folks there recommended a GE because the pump design had the best chance of not freezing in the winter.

Despite my best intentions, I didn't disconnect the water supply in the fall so everything froze up nice and solid for the duration. It was a pleasant surprise to find it thawed and working when spring broke. So maybe the brand did make a difference?

Honestly, it is the best $150 I have ever spent. Using a mild/ecofriendly soap and draining into the garden is another plus. And being able to wash winter blankets without trashing your house washer or sneaking into the laundrymat? Priceless!

My washing machine is in the garage... long story short... husband had cancer and fire company where he worked turned the 1/2 bath into a full bath so he could still get cleaned up. They PROMISED to move it to the basement before winter. Husband died. Fire company forgot about their promise. Washing machine is in the garage.

It's a front loader that always has water in it. It's also a my only washing machine.

So... last winter... I put a thermometer out there and monitored it like a hawk and put a heater on in front of the door when it seemed like it might get to freezing.

Not looking forward to doing this for another winter... but such is my life now... I'm interested to know if anybody has any great ideas for caring for washing machines over winter. I was actually thinking of searching for a thread because I thought... I don't know of anybody who has their home washing machine in the garage... but I do know of people who have washing machines in tack rooms...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

The enviro-nazis will throw a hissy-fit at this suggestion, but a 75- or 100-Watt incandescent light bulb placed under the machine near the water pump will often work. Use care in placing the bulb so no combustible materials come in contact with it. Draping a blanket over the machine will help contain the heat.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    The enviro-nazis will throw a hissy-fit at this suggestion, but a 75- or 100-Watt incandescent light bulb placed under the machine near the water pump will often work. Use care in placing the bulb so no combustible materials come in contact with it. Draping a blanket over the machine will help contain the heat.
    LOL, why would they? If it keeps the machine from going to the dump, it's all good!
    Just don't burn the house down!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

When we lived in WI we used this system to help keep car engines warm when the OAT dropped below zero. These were gassers and I don't know how effective it would be with a diesel (that does not have a "plug in" heater).

It's an overall good idea.

G.

MK, I think you will probably get the same advice from this link:
    http://applianceguru.com/login.php

But it is worth a visit just to get a chuckle from the Samurai Applicance Repair guru...definitely worth the time.

I wrapped some pipes with electric warming tape. Perhaps that would work for you. This is available from Home Depot and Hardware stores.

This sounds quite a bit safer than the lightbulb and blanket scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, why would they?
    The key word is "incandescent". When they hear it, their knees start a-jerking and their jaws start a-flapping. It's a programmed response, kinda like Pavlov's dogs.

The heat tape's a good idea, but some machines have a sump at the bottom of the tub and a freeze-up could damage the seals. Also, make sure the heat tape is safe for plastic and rubber parts.
    John Adams

The key word is "incandescent". When they hear it, their knees start a-jerking and their jaws start a-flapping. It's a programmed response, kinda like Pavlov's dogs.

LOL, true, incandescent bulbs are slowly being phased out in Germany, the high powered ones are already gone from store shelves. (BUT there are still heater lamps for chicks! )