The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

kitty89 Guest

Default Stables in the States?

Hey guys, I am moving my horses back to the States soon, and I need some advice. I used to always board with big name hunter and jumper trainers, but right now I am more interested in finding a stable who has really good care for the horses, and more reasonably priced. I want to go to college soon, and I want to make sure my horses are happy and healthy.

However, that being said, I have a stallion, and I know some stables may not be willing to take in stallions. He is very laid back and does not have any aggressive tendencies at all. He is more like a big puppy. He is also a 1.50m jumping horse, and has been competing at the international level. I would like to be at a stable who would be able to maintain him jumping bigger tracks, so they would have to be experienced and very knowledgeable in this area.

If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know! Again, I am not looking for a very expensive show barn. I just want to make sure my horses are well taken care of while I am at school! Thanks in advance!

Well, I live in Canada and not the States, but if you want to keep jumping and taking lessons at 1.50m, my guess is you're probably going to wind up at a higher end show barn.

Smaller barns with good care programs just don't generally cater to the international level competitor. Most will not have experience maintaining an international horse. Most also don't take stallions. (Puppy dog or not, he's still fertile and accidents can happen! ) Another problem you might run into is that most trainers that can teach a 1.50m rider, don't travel outside of their own barn to teach, except for clinics.

You might find a nice small barn with great care and good footing and then find an arrangement where you can trailer out for regular lessons. Or, you could rely on clinics every once and a while instead of regular lessons if you feel comfortable doing that. However, not every small barn with good care and facilities is going to want you jumping 1.50m in their arena.

It might help if you mentioned where you might be moving to, someone might have some ideas or suggestions.

kitty89 Guest

That is what I am worried about! I don't think I am going to be focusing on really showing at the moment, but ideally I would like my stallion to be able to see a bigger fence every once in a while with either me, or a trainer.

I am not positive on where I will be living. I may be going to school in Southern California, but I may decide to keep my horses where some of my family lives, either Dallas or Nashville.

If anyone has any suggestions in those stables, I would greatly appreciate it!

You will have tons of options in southern california, but I think any trainer who can teach at the 1.5m level and take a stallion in isn't going to be cheap.
    Also, if you end up boarding at a less expensive place and trailering somewhere for lessons, take that into account as well. For what it would cost to do that 1-2x per week may add up to enough to justify being at a more expensive barn

Thumbs up Try an up and comming star...

I know a fantastic ex-junior rider (Katelyn Hess) that just decided to turn pro. She is in Pennsylvania though. She is not expensive and is eager to start off her business so would be very accomodating. She trains with Kevin Babington and is a wonderful rider.
    I believe if you want your horse to be taken care of like if it was their own and carefully managed/shown, you have to go to someone that appreciates and NEEDS your support. Usually these are the up and comming stars that need a break and she is surely one of them : responsible, sweet and talented (plus her family support her 110%)
    This is her website:
    http://www.hessequine.com/
    If you want more data, mail me (it's in my profile).
    Good luck.
    V
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Quote Originally Posted by kitty89 View Post
    I am not positive on where I will be living. I may be going to school in Southern California, but I may decide to keep my horses where some of my family lives, either Dallas or Nashville.
    If you want the most affordable option (relatively speaking), you should keep your horses in Dallas. There is no shortage of trainers competing at 1.40+ m. and none of those trainers will have an issue with a stallion either, I'd suspect. I'd look into Mike Mccormick, Matt Cyphert, Belynda Bond, and Julie Cleveland, for the most part, although there are a few others who might suit your needs.

You have plenty of options in SoCal too, but it's going to be exponentially more expensive and if your horse is used to turnout and actually living like a horse, I don't think he'll be very happy.