The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hennig Owners: I have a Question

Do you know what size the seat on your saddle is in inches and in centimeters? I am getting really confused while shopping. I have read conflicting numbers of 41cm = 17 inches... 17.5 inches... 18 inches...

I will try to remember to check- I have one and ride 3 horses for owners who have Hennigs of different sizes. Will see if I can measure them in cm and inches for comparison.

It really varies depending on the shape of the individual saddle. In general though, I equate 41cm straight measurement to an 18" seat measured diagonally.
    Last edited by SBF; Nov. 6, 2010 at 06:35 PM.

So if it helps I'm 5'5" (if I take a deep breath haha) and 148lbs. I have a decent size booty but am proportioned pretty well. I ride now in a 17.5" Black Country Eden and it fits well. I'm doing the dangerous and looking at a couple on Ebay.de and thinking of taking a gamble because the saddles are a lot less money here. It's hard to wade through the sizing because apparently Hennigs are measure straight back pommel to cantle and seat depth, cutback tree, etc affect the fit. I've always been fine in "normal" sized saddles so want to find something that is close to that!

Three of us have Henning Sofas in our barn. They were all supposed to be the same seat size (17.5) but they all feel different.

I have a Hennig Sofa that is the measurement just under 18 inches (like 17 7/8 it may have been) and it fits me perfectly at 5'5" and 115. These saddles generally have a deep seat and so they fit smaller than you would think. Sorry that I don't know the cm of it, but wanted you to know that I think they tend to feel small due to the deep seats most have.

Here is a handy site for converting inches to centimeters, and other handy conversions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm.

17.5" is approximately 44.45cm. 41cm is about 16". This can offer you a frame of reference; you must keep in mind that saddle seat sizes are much like women's clothing in that not all 17.5" seats are created equal.

As regards saddle seat sizes (as already noted above), a deeper seat will "ride" smaller than a more shallow one. Though there is some variation, the Hennigs generally are quite deep. My most wonderful Hennig is an 18", though I usually am most comfortable in a 17" or 17.5".

If you are shopping for a Hennig, I'd recommend looking for your usual size in inches (look up what that is in cm as a guideline), add a half-inch, and be prepared to just sit in several to figure out what styles and sizes fit you best.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

The problem that I am running into is not what size to buy per se but how Germans are measuring their saddles. I wish it were as easy as straight converting cm to inches. Apparently the saddles are measured from mid pommel to mid cantle and not the button to cantle diagonally. So the discrepancy is some people say a 41 rides like an 18 and others say 17.5. I'm going to measure one i've ridden in tomorrow and try to find similar. I just want to avoid a buying/selling game!

So I bought one off Ebay. I'm now thinking it will be too small. It measures 37cm Luftlinie (front to back) and the one I rode in the other day was 39cm and I could use just a lil more room. Oh well. So if anyone sees a reasonable priced one let me know hahahahahaha!

I have two of them and they both feel different but that is because they are different types, one is the sofa, no idea about the other. I thought my sofa was 42 cm but after reading this thread, now I have no idea. I believe my original is an 18" and I bought one from a friend and I think her's was 17.5, it does not feel that different in seat size, yes, they are deep and you should consider that but the two different types are what feels different and the flaps are longer than mine. Sorry, doubt this helps but do investigate since they make different types.