The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cavallo Pastern Wraps

I recently purchased a pair of Cavallo Simple Boots for my horse. They fit well, but seem to rub a little bit so I was thinking about getting the Pastern Wraps. Has anyone ever used these? Do they work? Is there something else I could try instead?

Thanks in advance!

They worked for me. I actually think my rubbing issue was due to the sandy arena where we were riding--the sand would get into the top of the boot and rub the coronet band. The pastern wrap made the fit snug enough that sand couldn't sneak through.

I'm jealous of you - the largest pastern wrap Cavallo makes does not fit my draft x mare (cannot close in front), and she gets serious rubs working in the arena. I love the boots, but I'm thinking of getting a different kind of boot because of the rubs. If anyone has advice on what to use instead, I'm listening!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    They worked for me. I actually think my rubbing issue was due to the sandy arena where we were riding--the sand would get into the top of the boot and rub the coronet band. The pastern wrap made the fit snug enough that sand couldn't sneak through.
    Maybe that's our problem.. There is always a lot of sand in the boot when we finish riding.

Quote Originally Posted by gallopinggram View Post
    I'm jealous of you - the largest pastern wrap Cavallo makes does not fit my draft x mare (cannot close in front), and she gets serious rubs working in the arena. I love the boots, but I'm thinking of getting a different kind of boot because of the rubs. If anyone has advice on what to use instead, I'm listening!
    I was lucky that they had boots small enough for my horse! Size 0! The boots are pretty snug though, so I'm worried that the wraps will make them too tight. Has anyone experienced this issue?

The Cavallo pastern wraps work great if your horse needs some extra protection. Both my horses wear the Cavallo Simple boot but only my mare seems to need the wraps, shes always been a little "thin skinned" An alternative if you the largest wrap won't fit your horse is to use human socks. I find that men's wool socks work great, just cut out the toe and pull halfway up the hoof!

I have the pastern wraps, but I haven't needed to use them... I got them after Horsie had sustained a couple of (non-boot-related) scrapes on the backs of his pasterns, and I was afraid the boots would interfere with the wounds ever healing up... as it turned out, I didn't need to use the boots that often because we didn't trailer anywhere where we needed them.

Anyway, when trying the pastern wraps on for fit, I found them to be quite annoying and difficult to get on right, even when following the directions. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but they were a serious P.I.T.A. to use, which is sad because the boots themselves are wicked-simple to put on.

But I DO love the Cavallo boots... Horsie's pastern scrapes eventually healed up, and I took him for a 3+ hour trail ride at Gettysburg a couple weekends ago, just boots and no pastern wraps... not a single rub from the boots for the whole ride. I was impressed!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"