The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anybody else seeing dramatic feed price increases?

Just got back from the feed store and am in shock. My ADM Gro-Strong went up about 50 cents a bag - I could live with that. But... the ADM hay replacer went from 9.64/bag to 11.72/bag!!! I called my feed store owner in hopes that it was a mistake but alas, it wasn't. He had an e-news bulletin that he read to me which simply stated that because of the USDA grossly under-estimating the amount of corn acreage needed this year, along with the fact that Putin was no longer exporting wheat from China to the U.S., resulted in pricing across the board rivaling what happened in 2007 when everything shot thru the roof. He carries FRM, Buckeye, Nutrena and ADM feeds - ALL OF THEM WENT UP drastically!

This just stinks!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Yup, due to the wheat crop failure in Russia, demand has gone up, so supply is down, so prices go up. Alas, tis one of those economic law thingies.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Blue Seal Senior has gone up $1.50 per bag over the past 3 weeks at my local feed store.

Good news for crop farmers - corn, soybeans, and wheat are making runs at all-time highs set in 2008.

Bad new for those of us feeding horses (or any livestock) - prices may not be done going higher.

I just purchased Omolene 300, today, and it had gone up almost $1.00 in less than a month.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

I told ya'll a few weeks ago it was coming : >

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

It's going to get a lot worse. Maybe not this year, but...

Last time there were serious crop failures in China, the US limited how much grain could be exported to the Chinese. But this time around, the Chinese hold vast amounts of US debt. I can't imagine any scenario in which we'll be able to keep them from buying substantially more grains.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My feed went up a dollar a bag a month ago. Now I'm just waiting to see how much more it goes up.

On the other hand, we actually have dollar cotton for the first time in my long life. It's over a dollar a pound, thanks to floods in China and bad crops in India. Of course, cotton has been so cheap for the past few years that very few Mississippi farmers planted anywhere near as much as usual.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

This is the reason I use hay, beet pulp and haystretcher as my horses main source of food, and only use the concentrates sparingly, along with a good general vitamin/mineral supplement. Some of these grain prices get outrageous by the time winter is only half over! Looks like the wallets are in for another hit.

Yes, I've noticed crazy increases too. Luckily I feed very little grain and I've got my hay price locked in for the winter.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Seminole Wellness Feeds in Ocala went up $1 per bag..I buy monthly so got it in one whopping surprise....
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Not yet, but thanks for the warning....*sigh* it's just the reality of horse ownership.

I bought my first horse (and self-boarded her) when I was a college student in 2006. in 2007 we had that huge price jump in feed AND there was a drought locally resulting in hay prices jumping from $2.75 to $6.75 a small square bale. THAT really hurt.

So now when feed/gas prices go up, I just shrug and say, "c'est la vie...."

I just realized I wouldn't have even noticed if it had! Ha! That's bad. I just swipe the debit card and jot in in the checkbook. I get so much that its 3-400 every time. I need to go check my receipt now! Not that it matters too much... They still gotta eat!

Can someone explain why, in a country of farming as we are, that we are importing wheat from CHINA????

This oughta be good....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Can someone explain why, in a country of farming as we are, that we are importing wheat from CHINA????

This oughta be good....
    we're not really but as a of may 2010 they became our biggest buyers of grains...

feb corn futures are already at 6.20 some a bushel (56 lbs) up from $4(ish) not a month ago
    that's the buying price,lose in a big ole bin and not bagged processed delivered to the feed store and waiting in your feed room

a rising tide will float all the boats in the harbor

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Nov. 6, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Pennfield hadn't gone up last time I purchased....but can anyone tell me if they have gone up this week?

Last bag of Pennfield Fibergized was 22.98 and the Cool N lite was close to 19.00. I'm wondering what the price is now.

oh and to add (again) semi truck diesel has remained at about $2.95 a gal
    they can only do 5-7 miles per gal so you can do the math

this is the same scenario as far as shipping costs and base grain prices that we saw in 2007 or 08...

Tamara in TN

2007 was when we had the severe hay shortage here in the south due to drought. I remember that year all to well because of the inflated feed prices all the way around. At least this year, we aren't facing a hay shortage.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    2007 was when we had the severe hay shortage here in the south due to drought. I remember that year all to well because of the inflated feed prices all the way around. At least this year, we aren't facing a hay shortage.
    there is a shortage of fancy hay....common stuff there is plenty...the hay shortage was compounded by the super high fuel rates...$200 fuel surcharges were the rule not the exception

Tamara in TN

Well the Fed just dumped another gazillion into the economy Wednesday - just guaranteeing inflation everywhere. If we get inflation then our debt (to China) is less costly to pay back?
    It was a "What the heck" - that's what we all need, everything to cost more.

I didn't notice until I got home and checked my receipt, but the alfalfa pellets I purchased had also gone up $.80. Makes me think the feed store was thinking "well, might as well mark everything up". I dunno.

Grocery prices have been creeping up as well over the weeks. Expect to see cereal, bread, and basically any grain products to increase in price.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><