The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stifle Blister - How long does it take?

My horse was blistered a week ago (new version of blistering by pretty much poking and irritating the crap out of the ligament) and only on the right stifle... I was told to work him the next day... he was so sore for about 3 days and then on the 4th day he was "better" but still sore... he was finally able to canter on the right lead starting at day 4 although it was uncomfortable and day 5 I started walking up and down hills and he still felt sore and stiff then today is day 6 and hes still not better hes still sore... dragging his right toe, very short with his right hind and quick with it at the trot.... on the right lead he will fall off the lead and bobble with a few lame steps... Is this normal? Vet told me he'd be better in a week (which is tomorrow) and he doesnt feel like he did before the blister but he doesnt feel ok. Im planning on working him up and down hills the next week or so and trying to get him strong! Any suggestions? Is this normal?

Was anything injected? Usually it is iodine, and they used to mix it with Almond Oil. The protocol was to jog the horse an hour later, and a few days following. They are sore afterwards, but the work/excersise will help.

I would call your vet with your concerns.

Nothing was injected... she said this is the "new" way of doing it and have found it works better and they have had great success with it (im at Auburn University Vet School)

Very interesting... I'll have to look it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Was anything injected? Usually it is iodine, and they used to mix it with Almond Oil. The protocol was to jog the horse an hour later, and a few days following. They are sore afterwards, but the work/excersise will help.

I would call your vet with your concerns.
    I agree, I would call also. It either didn't work, which often times it doesn't, or it isn't the stifle that was the issue. If it is the stifle, did you try estrogen injections first? It doesn't always work by any means, just like blistering, but I would certainly try that first on a horse before putting them thru all the pain of blistering them. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider33 View Post
    Nothing was injected... she said this is the "new" way of doing it and have found it works better and they have had great success with it (im at Auburn University Vet School)
    I wonder if they were just referring to mechanically doing it instead of the injection. If that is what they did that has been around for years unless there is something new they are trying. Would be curious would they really did just for info.

I cant find anything on it... kind of the non blister... dang.

hmmm Im gonna have her come out next week and look at him! Im so sick of him having these stifle problems!

I had the same procedure you're describing about 8 weeks ago with different results. He looked much better immediately and today he's shown 100% improvement, my only regret was not doing it sooner.

Now, my vet had us keep him as quiet as possible for 1 week, stall rest preferably and small paddock the 2nd week. Hand walking 3x a day. After 2 weeks he could go out and slowly start bringing him back, starting with trotting and working up from there. He warned about letting him "run" too early (first 2 weeks), as that's the only time he'd seen problems with the surgery. Not sure why, but they want that scar tissue to form.

So I'd say your results are very different than mine and I would definitely call the vet.

FYI, here's a good blog on the topic, search for "The French Revolution", this is what I had done and I'm guessing hunterrider33 as well: http://theequinist.blogspot.com/2008...tella-ufp.html