The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default If you had huge amount of money would you have a rescue farm?

I know I would have some sort of animal rescue, but, I don't know if I would rescue horses or dogs. I suppose I could do both. I used to think I would have lots of show horses, but, now I don't think so I would rather save animals than have to show them. I would rather be sort of kind and gentle now

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgsd View Post
    I know I would have some sort of animal rescue, but, I don't know if I would rescue horses or dogs. I suppose I could do both. I used to think I would have lots of show horses, but, now I don't think so I would rather save animals than have to show them. I would rather be sort of kind and gentle now
    Bad idea. Animal rescue work might sound warm and fuzzy but it's anything but. When you do it with the mentality that it is warm and fuzzy, you're in the HOV lane going down the Hershey Highway to Shittsville. I've seen firsthand what happens when animal rescue work becomes about the warm fuzzies and it always goes bad. Objectivity and clear thinking go out the window along with your money and eventually the rescue collapses or breaks.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Sure, if you want to turn huge amounts into petty cash...

I think Cowgirljen has the link to 'so you want to start a rescue' in her sig...it's not that easy, and like so many things, it's not what we think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

If I had a vast amount of money I would have a retirement farm for all the NYC carriage horses, and all the school horses that have worked so hard for people. I wouldn't be a rescue in the sense that I'd want to move horses along, I'd keep them all! Since this is my fantasy, I can have the money to pay for all of that, and the land, and the facilities and the help and the . . .. etc etc etc.

I would do a small scale rescue, with hopefully some rehoming occurring. I have OTTBs and have always retrained my own, I would probably continue to do that, just with more of them, and no pressure to get rid of them. I would definitely have a nice horse or two of my own to compete with, but the fun would be in bringing along the racetrack rejects.

I would love to set up a no kill dog and cat shelter also.

No. I would...

1. Donate more than I can now.

2. Take 2-3 unadoptable green or unbroke horses at a time from rescues, put 6 months on them and find them good homes.

3. If I had the space, I'd take in an extra project horse or two for each working student to learn to train on- at my expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    I would do a small scale rescue, with hopefully some rehoming occurring. I have OTTBs and have always retrained my own, I would probably continue to do that, just with more of them, and no pressure to get rid of them. I would definitely have a nice horse or two of my own to compete with, but the fun would be in bringing along the racetrack rejects.

I would love to set up a no kill dog and cat shelter also.

I would do something like that. I would just plan on spending a couple million dollars on the rescue. I don't mean making it a self supporting thing or anything just a way of giving back to something I love. I'm a volunteer now so....why not

Default Absolutely!

It's my dream. I would take horses from the local track and re-train them. I would not be a "rescue". It would strictly be a personal enterprise, cut out the redtape.

If I were to win the big one...oh my....the dreams are there, and I believe they are doable.

No, though I'd certainly buy a few more Finger Lake's Finest!

I would only set up a rescue if I had sufficient money to establish a reasonable endowment so I was not entirely reliant on donations, and assuming I was in an area with favorable taxes (ie low property taxes as it would be difficult bordering on impossible to live on-site and pull off complete exemptions), access to relatively low-cost vet care, and fairly reliable access to low-price hay and feed. And then I would keep it relatively small and not reliant on an outside Board.

Suffice to say, that is a LOT of money. And then probably about all I would do with it is akin to Old Friends, older racehorse types or similar lines, not 'adoption', auction rescues, brokering, or resale. Just enough to keep a few comfortable on the back forty.

Nope.

I'd run gelding and euth clinics & get a hay bank going in my area. I would have a barn full of Finger Lake's finest on let down or lay up and, probably, a few retires mowing the lawn because I'm a sucker.

But real, honest to god rescue? That's for people with less itchy trigger fingers than I.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Without a doubt.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I was just spending my Powerball earnings mentally earlier today!

I would not start a rescue myself, for many of the reasons listed, because I think others are much more qualified for that. I would, however, love to have my qualifications at writing checks experience a sudden rise, and I'd definitely contribute a whole bunch to reputable rescues. I even have a few candidates from my COTHing who are now on the "if I ever hit it rich" list.

I love the scene in the movie Ghost when Sam is trying to convince Whoopie she has to give up the however-many-millions-it-was because that was blood money that led to his death. She finally reluctantly signs over the check to some nuns collecting on the street for their charity fund. The nun looks at the $$$$$$$$$ check and faints.

I would LOVE to give a good rescue a moment like that. Have them open the mail and find a million or something. But me run one myself? No.

In all honesty, probably not.

I would be more likely to donate some funds to existing rescues.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

yes In would

I don't think that I would start a rescue. I would probably donate to selected groups and adopt a few older horses to keep retired. I am much more drawn to the older guys than the younger ones due to my own comfort level. I would definitely have more dogs than I do now, but I do not have what it takes to foster. With more time and money, I could have more of my own, but I don't rehome well.

Alagirl, thanks for posting the link to the book. I do try to cover most (if not all!) of the things you should consider in there..

As to whether or not I would open a rescue - obviously I already have (actually two rescues now, because I'm a real sucker for punishment). If I suddenly came into a huge amount of money, I would set up an endowment for the rescue I currently run. The goal of the endowment would be that the rescue could use the interest earned off of the endowment to fund running a farm.

HOWEVER, I would want the rescue to continue using foster homes. I feel that good foster homes are better for the horses than a farm that's overcrowded. I would want the rescue's farm to be for special needs horses - those with training/behavioral issues that make them dangerous, those that need special treatment, etc. Also it would be for those who were being held pending court. And I would want the farm to include offices and a classroom so we could hold a lot of educational events for the community (and other rescues).

I WOULD NOT want to live on the farm. I'm a pretty private person and just being the head of a large rescue is too public for me a lot of times (I don't get to do much venting or complaining about anything because it is unprofessional. And even if it is unrelated to horses or rescue, it can be unprofessional and turn people away from the rescue). I need time/space to myself. I would visit the farm a lot and hopefully have an office there, but I don't want to be "on" 24/7, so I couldn't stand living on the rescue's farm.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I'm with the group that would not set up an official rescue, but I would have a barn full of OTTBs and OTSTBs along with a few auction rescues. Most of them would go through retraining and probably move on to new homes once they had some solid training and show experience.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I WOULD NOT want to live on the farm.
    Me neither! In fact, if I suddenly had a huge amount of money, I'd probably sell the one I have now (a commercial business, not a rescue) or at least move off the property and let someone else manage the damn thing! I would, however, donate a large part of my fortune to someone else's rescue

Caring for a large number of healthy horses is a huge responsibility...caring for a large number of special needs horses would be more than I could handle without totally losing my sanity. I have a huge amount of respect for people who have the ability to do this well.
    Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Nope. I'm not strong enough--it would break me.

I was asked to step in on an abuse case about a month ago. It involved a skinny horse who was euth'd with his head in my lap. I've had nightmares every night, ever since.

I'd rather have a retirement farm for oldies so they don't end up in that situation, and donate money to people with more emotional fortitude than I.