The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Diagnosis Please

For a while now I have felt that a horse I have been riding is not quite right. He has always been a bit of a nappy type but more recently he has started being reluctant to jump which is very unlike him. Another difference is that he will buck (sort of a hind end only thing) about 6 strides after a jump. It feels a bit like he's trying to rearange himself.

Today when I was watching his owner ride I noticed that he's keeping his right hind very straight when cantering left and he was just a little reluctant to canter. I mentioned this to the owner and she told me that she was hearing a quiet clicking that she hadn't heard before.

My thought is that it's a sticky stifle that's causing him pain but as I understand it hocks can click too.
    The vet has been called and we are making an appointment so that he can be thoroughly looked over but I wondered if anyone else has had an experience like this or some insight.

Could be a chiropractic issue- pelvis out of whack. Could be a sore back or SI joint issue. Could also be stifle or hock. Best of luck with the vet.

My horse is going through the same thing. Two nights ago I found my horse NQR and it appears it's his right hip area that is bothering him. I hear clicking too. He has always been kind of noisy at the walk but this clicking is more obvious. My vet will be coming out tomorrow morning to examine him. I will let you know what he finds, although it could be completely different from what this horse has though they sound similar.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

IMO, clicking is usually related to the stifle area. Of course not always, but from my own experiences.

Well my horse had his lameness exam today and we found the issue to be in his right hock. He got his hock injected so we'll see how it goes from here on out.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

So glad you were able to diagnose Mimi. Good luck. Mine is getting looked at Tuesday morning first thing. Can't wait.

Hocks here too. What a relief!