The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another election, this time for FEI president.

If you are not yet overwhelmed by election fatigue there is another contentious one going on tomorrow in Taipei, Taiwan. This election is for the Presidency of the FEI and this article in Horse and Hound gives some of the background. A view from New Zealand on Horsetalk is here.

The whole of the FEI General Assembly in Taipei is being streamed live on the Internet by FEItv. The election will be at around midnight Eastern Daylight Time here on the east coast of the USA. This week Taipei is 12 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time.

I do not know how the ballot is conducted or if it will be part of the broadcast.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

You fixin' to watch? I might, since I'm off work tomorrow (albeit SUPPOSED to be show-prepping baby greenie...).

If you decide to miss it, you might enjoy this blog - not sure who is behind it but s/he has live-tweeted the convention before, and has int'g things to say in his/her older blogs on FEI governance.

Now: The interesting thing (reported by COTH, albeit more politely than I'm about to) is that our Fearless Leader Mr. O'Connor has pretty much thrown Princess Haya under the bus in favor of endorsing Henk Rottinghuis. Wonder if that was before or after M. Rottinghuis offered Fearless Leader the Vice Presidential slot....

As someone who is wholly unenthusiastic about the corporate "eff the rank and file" direction USEF has taken under Fearless Leader, I don't have vast enthusiasm for anybody trying to turn the FEI into the equestrian equivalent of LuthorCorp, but hey. I don't compete at those levels, so I guess my opinion should count for nothing.

Fascinating to note, however, that Fearless Leader did NOT endorse the only candidate whose platform is "to make the democratic processes more effective and to place horse welfare at the forefront" of the FEI's work. (Who Is: Sven Holmberg.)

Whatevs. Should be interesting.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Default Four more years.

Princess Haya was re-elected on the first ballot.

Horse and Hound reports:

From 120 possible votes, 90 national federations backed Princess Haya for president, 23 voted for Sven Holmberg and 11 voted for Henk Rottinghuis. One federation abstained.

Horse and Hound made a mistake in total votes. The moderator of the FEI session stated 124 total votes.
    Last edited by His Greyness; Nov. 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added vote count
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

Well, from my perspective on the sidelines, GOOD!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'd love to see a breakdown of the vote. Haya won by a landslide, and from what I understand, the challengers were hoping to win on European discontent with her programs. If the Europeans voted for one of the other candidates, then that would mean that she won with the rest of the world--the small countries without a lot of clout in the horse world.

I keep thinking about the complete redoing of the dressage committee, the clean sport initiative and the German problems with drugs and their World Class athletes, the rollkur debacles, Sapphire's disqualification from the World Cup, and a few other very high profile instances where her administration has stepped on the toes of the "top nations", and am glad that she was re-elected.

I also agree with all the comments about our "fearless leader." From what was published on the internet, he wanted more FEI clout without giving up his commercial activities and coaching. I do know that I've heard some questioning of his seeming lack of sensitivity to conflict of interest issues.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire