The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff- Grooms with kids what's your opinion?

You know sometimes those grooms have kids and they think this is justification for higher pay. Frankly I don't care if little Joey was just diagnosed with cancer and they can't afford healthcare- I just want my horse sparkly clean and turned out to the nines. I just don't think the grooms should have kids. And I certainly do not want either baby goats or little toddlers running afoot under my ginormous Shire Stallion who is likely not only to snot all over them but purposefully roll on them. That could result in my horse getting snot on himself, muss up his coat, or perhaps even a bruise! So my vote is that grooms should not have kids.

BWAHAHA!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I think it's tough when there are ANY little kids around the barn. A trainer/friend I know had her little child at the barn, in an indoor arena. Barn manager drove her SUV into the barn. Without getting into detail, little child was run over and killed. It was a tragic event. Barns and small children just don't mix unless they're under constant supervision. And how can you do that if you're working with horses?

I'm not against grooms having kids, but I don't think they should be at work. Kids aren't acceptable accessories on the job at other workplaces, why should a barn be any different?

Good Lord, people.

Witness the J-O-K-E.

Although, good to know, red mares, that you're not against grooms procreating. Now that you've given your blessing I'm sure they'll proceed.

dark humor.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    In the tack room, after hours, with the owner's kid,
    Are you trying to be funny ha ha or do you just not realize how that response comes across?

Because... wow.

Congrats on having a mere 30 posts on COTH and getting my jaw to hit the floor three times in two days. Quite the batting average you've got there...

Talking

When you are paying someone to look after your horse then dear Dobbin should always come first. I don't see why they feel they are ENTITLED to having a life outside of horses since trainers aren't allowed to. Afterall everyone hates a trainer that doesn't have the dedication to spend 140 hours a week in the barn. It all comes down to what you have in writing... "no children, large dogs or exotic farm animals" clause is a must for your work agreement with all barn servants..... er "staff". In fact I require all medical files to be released and a waiver agreeing to allow me to talk with the doctors in the event that a groom becomes "sick" (that way I can know for sure that they aren't faking it to get out of polishing hooves for the weekend). Geez! The nerve of some people!!

Last edited by hntrjmprpro45; Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added a smiley so certain people know I'm being sarcastic

In fact I require all medical files to be released and a waiver agreeing to allow me to talk with the doctors in the event that a groom becomes "sick" (that way I can know for sure that they aren't faking it to get out of polishing hooves for the weekend). Geez! The nerve of some people!!
    I knew I forgot something in my assistants contract....she does seem to be sick a lot on farrier day....

I have solved the kids thing by infusing the barn's water supply with birth control. Neither clients nor employees have any business being pregnant/having kids. All time, effort and money should be put towards the barn.

Thank goodness CHT! They breed like rabbits!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I have solved the kids thing by infusing the barn's water supply with birth control. Neither clients nor employees have any business being pregnant/having kids. All time, effort and money should be put towards the barn.
    I do this too- I use Regumate since I get it very cheap from my vet whom I am incahoots with. Then to really stick it to them, I even charge them for it on their monthly bills- 200% mark up of course! MWAHAHA!

Does any one else make theirs sleep in the stalls? Personally, I find telling them that they cannot miss work and can just birth in the broodmare stall to be the best way to keep them from procreating, and thus taking time/energy away from my beasts.

Any one who is not DNA tested, FEI passported, branded and imported should not have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Any one who is not DNA tested, FEI passported, branded and imported should not have kids.
    Yes! Breed the best, enslave the rest.

Coppers mom- we do not allow our grooms to sleep in stalls (our stalls are much too high end). They typically curl up in a ball in the back corner of the feed room next to the heated cat beds.