The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat De-wormer?

The barn stray has decided to accept the position of "rodent control engineer". Actually it's a pretty cushy job - full health benefits (but no dental), a dog to terrorize, and all the mice she can eat. And she's doing a fabulous job - haven't seen a mouse in the barn in over a week!

However, I noticed this morning she had an added accessory hanging out of her butt - a small white worm. So I'm assuming this is from her mouse buffet, either that or she's been sitting in someones rice bowl somewhere!

Any suggestions for what de-wormer to use?

Rice grains = Tapeworms (which means she has ingested a flea(s).. if she doesn't have them then whatever rat/mouse she had for lunch did)! I'm always wary of OTC stuff... even more so with cats. I'd consider talking to your vet about getting something.
    My kitten got kitty drontal (does tapes, hooks, and whips) when she had hooks.

tapeworm eggs look like rice grains (my terrier had them a couple of times) but my cat has had the actual worm (white, about an inch long) coming out of his butt. Charming. My vet said it was tapeworm, and gave me a one-time pill. It isn't expensive; I'd go that route.

i give my cats Profender. it is a topical wormer that covers all worms including tapeworm. you just put it on between their shoulder blades and thats it. no more giving pils. you can get it on Amazon.com i think and it is about $14 a dose.

Ask your vet for Profender. Usually if you just describe what you're seeing, and explain that it's a barn cat, they'll be happy to give you a vial to put on all your kitties.

Well.... Looks like I'm off to the vet! I just had her spayed and the vet said she didn't have fleas or mites. So I'm blaming this on the inconsiderate rodent she consumed.

Thanks for all the responses!
    Last edited by Shine; Nov. 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

I keep a tube of the cheap stuff from the grocery store at hand.

Hit the guest eater with it a couple of times, put it out on occasion.

2 out of three eat it with no problem, f mixed in tuna or canned food, the 3rd...weeeeelllllll, she does not eat canned, nor tuna...we are working on that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Shine;
    sorry, but no fleas or mites does NOT mean the cat does not have tapeworms.
    Those are visible parasites, worm infestation can only be verified with a blood or stool sample.

Please ask your vet for Droncit or Profend before these parasites make your cat sick(er).

BTW: tapeworms are a consequence of eating vermin: mice, rats, rabbits
    Professional Hazard for barncats
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Our recent good deed, also known as the million dollar roadside kittens, recently developed worms. On top of having colds, eye infections, fleas and Feline Leukemia.

Our veterinarian prescribed a kitten dose of Panacur once a day for 5 days. The kittens Hate It but it must be done.

I vote for the stuff you pour between the shoulder blades too! Easy to apply and covers a broad range. I have been told that the over the counter stuff is next to useless.

I have been told that the over the counter stuff is next to useless.
    Actually the reverse - search out the Class Action Law Suits launched re neurological damage & death of cats (& dogs) post application of the ever popular Hartz topicals for flea & ticks; one problem with such products is the lack of quality control (& GMP) of the active ingredient used in formulation & lack of regulation once the product is distributed: the "same" product at your vet may cost rather more but the active ingredient has passed analytical criteria, same at the compound level, stability data is available for the starting material & compounded medication, distribution & management is at least somewhat regulated etc ...

You dont need a vet to get Profender. you can order it online.

Quote Originally Posted by godiva13 View Post
    You dont need a vet to get Profender. you can order it online.
    And you don't need a doctor to order percocet online. That doesn't mean you should!

Profender is a veterinary product. From the package insert/label: http://www.bayerdvm.com/Resources/Do...nder-Label.pdf

"Federal Law (U.S.A.) restricts this drug to use by or on order of a licensed veterinarian."

Look, I KNOW people, especially people w/ lots of animals on farms, buy stuff online from certain websites (FWIW Amazon isn't one I'd trust with pharmaceuticals). Small animal products are heavily counterfeited, and when you don't buy them from your veterinarian you have no idea how they are shipped, stored, or even if they are legitimate. I know it's just a dewormer, but it's not difficult to call up your vet and let them know your cat has worms and you'd like them to prescribe something. At least then you'll know you're getting a guaranteed product that is backed by your vet in case of any adverse effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Well.... Looks like I'm off to vet! I just had her spayed and the vet said she didn't have fleas or mites. So I'm blaming this on the inconsiderate rodent she consumed.

Thanks for all the responses!
    As someone else said, fleas or mites don't necessarily mean no internal worms! But no worry, my kitties at home eat lots of things outside and need a few dewormings every summer to kill the parasites. It's just a fact of life for a kitty who hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Shine;
    sorry, but no fleas or mites does NOT mean the cat does not have tapeworms.
    Ditto ditto DITTO.

My indoor cat Allen had tapeworms and was treated for them, after having bouts of diarrhea and me finding the rice proglottids all over my bed. Now he's just been diagnosed with giardia, so we are treating him for that, too. The stinker is costing me a pretty $

But yes, I would definitely go the vet for something like tapeworm. 1 shot of Droncit .5cc per cleared my boy up.

Just got back from the vet and "kitty" is now officially de-wormed! Could have done without the "kitty finger look" though. Thanks again.

it's best to ask the vet....this rarely happens but I can actually get the kitty de wormer vial cheaper form my vet than at the pet store....
    as we have 4 truly feral barn cats there is no way I am catching them and getting it down the hatch. I put in in wet cat food and set it out in the barn at feeding time. The distribution may not be ideally even but they do share the food fairly evenly and at least they get de wormed to the best of my ability. Now the 3 motherless kittens that showed up this fall are a different story....they are very easy to catch!