The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    kmolen2 Guest

Default Possible degeneration of the navicular bone? Please help.

Hi there. I'm new to this forum. It was suggested that I come here and ask your advice, so please help!

I have been looking at a prospect for the last couple of weeks. He's a very sweet OTTB. He's 7 years old and has been off the track for about 15 months. Today, I had a PPE done with him, and he flexed positive off his front right, so I had his shoes pulled and took x-rays of the front R. We noticed at this point that he the given foot is very slightly clubbed. This is what they showed:

The next two are the ones to compare:

Vets comments say: "Moderate degenerative changes to navicular bone, offset foot to lateral remodeling tip of P3 & slight buttress appearance of dorsal P3."

I see the blurryness, but I'm not sure about how serious it is. I see it all over the R film. The vet says it's enough that she'd "be concerned" but obviously can't advise for what I should do. I'm looking at Jameson as my confidence builder on the flat and working up to jumping horse. I know this is a big deal for a high level jumper, but how serious is this for a horse that's not really going to be pushed too hard, and do some moderate jumping?

I also want to add that it's been recommended to me by people who board at my stable to get a second opinion. Apparently this vet has told owners of 4-5 horses that they had navicular issues that were not confirmed by other vets with second opinions...

Well, if the horse is worth it, then get a second opinion for sure. However, I have a horse with navicular issues and it is an everyday battle. The changes in the horse's bone don't necessarily mean a whole lot by themselves, but the fact that he has a lameness presenting itself makes me worried. It can be a VERY long road with no real victories to be had.

Another thing to think about is that bony changes are more commonly found in WBs (my navicular guy is a Dutch warmblood). So changes in a warmblood would probably worry me less than changes in a TB. Those changes aren't as common in the lighter breeds, so may have more significance.

kmolen2 Guest

The lameness is only found a few steps out on the flexion exam. He's not actually lame. Have you had x-rays done of your horse's feet that you're able to post? I'm having a hard time finding anything on google even to see a comparison.

It sounded like you have changes in the navicular bone and possible early coffin joint changes? I would be apprehensive of that. If you really wanted to know would be an MRI for best guess on future soundness and management. Lameness can be heart braking. Best wishes!
    Last edited by Fharoah; Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Looks like a lot of pedal osteitis too.

Those are some pretty extensive changes on the x-rays. I would be inclined to think there is a lot of soft tissue damage going on in that area.

And at 7 years old?

Did you take x-rays of the left front for comparison?

Rational me would stay far away from buying this horse, but of course it's hard to always be rational.

I'm working on trying to get some pics for you, tried to get them on photobucket but can't so far. I'll keep trying.