The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default German TV Shows Totilas at His New Home and Under Saddle

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

wish i could understand more of what they say

It is cute how the woman riding him can't stop smiling. I'd be the same way...starstruck!!! He looks quite relaxed and happy in his new home.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    It is cute how the woman riding him can't stop smiling. I'd be the same way...starstruck!!! He looks quite relaxed and happy in his new home.
    Though I am Dutch I can understand most of what they are saying. She said that riding him first is the most gigantic moment of her life.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

The main points of the TV segment are:
    1) That even Schockemöhle himself is tempted to ride him and feel his gaits
    2) That the exercise rider is extremely pleased to be riding him, usually just giving him a relaxed WTC workout in the mornings
    3) That he will still be showing and his breeding duties will be scheduled around it
    4) That it's not known who will ride him but there are many speculations
    5) That everyone is looking forward to his first foals next year

How would you like to be the next one to show him? What a lot of pressure, but wow, what an opportunity!
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Amazing how every interviewer is asking Paul abaut the sales price. (There are more interviews on that chanel.)
    All he says is that he forgot already...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Equi88 View Post
    All he says is that he forgot already...;-)
    Which may well be the most elegant way to handle it.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Hmm... jeez... I mean, I don't know They're riding him in a ring with jumps ! Isn't that going to give a dressage horse of that caliber a rash ...

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Which may well be the most elegant way to handle it.

Agreed. It is the sorted topic of coin. The sales price is irrelevant.

"Stallion of a century" The woman who got to ride him said it was the most gigantic moment of her life . It gives me goose bumps.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I am still so sad about the separation of Toto and Edward Gal. I know it's easy for me to say but I do believe, had it been me who bought him, I would have left him with Gal because it is not just the amazing gaits that make this horse so outstanding but also the relationship between him and his rider, Gal. I am not saying that I do not think anyone else could have such a close relationship but I guess I am of the mind that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He is gorgeous! STUNNING actually. If I even got to sit on him I'd be ecstatic!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

You know people are lining up to pay a $200,000.00 DEPOSIT for the first public commercial space flight (they have over 200 already). I would do the same just to ride Toto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs-n-Frodo View Post
    If I even got to sit on him I'd be ecstatic!
    So would I until I looked up and realized I was now sitting in the dirt instead!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Super fast/sloppy translation:

"Some people collect art, some people collect horses. Like Paul Schockemoehle, from Niedersachsen, for example. Recently he became the owner of the most expensive dressage horse in the world. (Refers to screen) That is it- or better, him- the stallion Totilas at this year's WEG in Kentucky where he won gold three times as the "Wonder Horse". And with that, in regards to price, we're at- hold onto your seats- somewhere between €9 and €15 million. Today the proud owner introduced his best horse in the barn exclusively to "Hallo Niedersachsen" and Vanessa Kossen, and our team was permitted to film it."

VK:

"Finally. The first press meeting with Totilas in his new home in Muehlen. What you're hearing in the background is the camera of the in-house photographer who uses the old trick to get him to pay attention and prick his ears forward for us. Totilas clearly feels content in South Oldenburg. The turbulence regarding his sale to Europe's biggest horse dealer, Paul Schockemoehle, appears to impress him little.

PS:

"Ah, he had a little break, and now he's a little fresh, eh?"

VK:

"He purchased him just a few weeks ago, but he had already fallen in love with the stallion considerably earlier."

PS:

"I saw him for the first time in Windsor at the European Championship last year, and was impressed from the first moment on."

VK:

"Since Monday evening Totilas has been with Schockemoehle. Twenty years have passed since the boss has himself sat in the saddle due to an accident. The stallion is certainly a large temptation."

PS:

"Surely, I would love to ride such a horse myself, but I'm strictly out of the saddle. But to feel his way of going would be fun for any rider."

VK:

"And he proved this way of going at the WEGs in Kentucky. Never before was a dressage horse so superior in the ring. The riding world is speaking of the eighth wonder of the world- Totilas, a once in a lifetime horse from a Dutch ancestry. With his Dutch rider, Edward Gal, he broke all dressage records. Three tests. Three victories. Three times gold. But the victory was hardly over before he once again made headlines: 'Schockemoehle Shocks Holland', 'Schockemoehle's Coup with the Dressage Horse', and the last announcement- 'The Wonder Horse is in Muehlen'. Since then the speculations are outdoing themselves regarding who will even ride him in future international competitions. But the stallion still has time. Sure enough, there's one person that's the first that's been allowed to work with Totilas in Muehlen: Anja Engelbardt, the Oldenburg state champion."

AE:

"I've been working here for 10 years, and have already ridden many, many excellent horses, and on Tuesday when I was allowed to ride this horse for the first time, I believe that was most gigantic moment in my life. First thing in the morning, he is cantered until he's good and satisfied and moving relaxed."

VK:

In the beginning of the coming year Totilas should be returned to smaller competitions, but this year he will head to the breeding barn.

PS:

"We're already trying to balance that he will be able to bring top sport achievements and continue to stand here [where he will offer fresh semen], but the sport should continue to work out and also be in the foreground..."

VK:

"The riding world is particularly excited for Totilas' first foals- they will be born early in 2011."

Description beneath video:

"The coup is perfect. The "Century Stallion" has been in Muehlen since Monday. The former showjumping rider paid between nine and fifteen million euros for him."
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

thanks, I love him!

I say they breed him to Zenyatta.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I enjoyed that, thanks! (And it helps that I know German as well, lol)

I'm curious, what is PS's new rider's history (besides what she said in the short interview)? I personally do not know much about her, but then again, I haven't kept up with too many German riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    I say they breed him to Zenyatta.
    Yeah! Then they could do another commercial like this one only the "best horse in all of Europe" would actually win!

Actually, his sire, Gribaldi and Zenyatta's baby would probably earn an honorary Trakehner Approval. Though, most likely, it would not need to be honorary because the baby would kick butt athletically.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook