The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Fall Possum

The annual possum invasion of the tack room has started. I'm going to have to remove his hiding place and let Pearl in to grab him. She won't kill him though, so I'm hoping one of the other dogs will do the dirty deed. I really don't want to have to bash in his head with a shovel.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I need to live-trap a possum. We have permission to move it to the golf course where my husband plays. What is good bait for the possum? Mr Possum is currently eating our cat food, but I don't want to use that as bait - otherwise, I might catch one of my kitties.

He's eating my cat food as well. Nasty critter.

I will rely on my dog to catch him. She's caught a couple every fall for the last three or four years. I actually saw this guy night before last.

You might want to try putting the cat food away at night. I put the cat food away (in a metal trash can) when I bring the horses in for dinner. They get fed again in the morning and I leave it out all day. All feed is locked up. We don't have a possum problem.

Use the cat food. You may catch the cats, but usually only once! It's a live trap so the cats aren't hurt, just a little scared at first. Mine usually look embarressed when I come to let them out.

And while picking up the food is a good idea, possums are also searching for shelter, so I still get them in the barn in the fall.

Vineyridge, if you weren't so far away and if you truly wanted the possum dead, I would loan you my male Basenji for a week. He is the sweetest guy on earth otherwise, but when it comes to rodent-like critters, I call him my natural born killer.

We have the same dilemma, but he's a pack rat. Smart little bugger, too. He knows how to outsmart the live trap.

My JRTs killed a possum in the back yard last night when I let them out to pee at bedtime. Stupid possum had to climb the 5' chain link fence to get in the yard. I don't keep any food out there at all so I don't know why he came visiting. Fatal error on his part though.

I made hubby get up from the football game and dispose of the remains.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

In the 4 years of having a farm I'd never had a possum until this year. I knew something was eating my cat food because my cats are slow grazers and hunt a lot, but sometimes the neighbor cat comes over so I thought it was him. OH how wrong I was! I walked in the hay barn and turned to say hi to the "cat" in the cat bed. I turned on the light and WHAM! a very vicious looking (pregnant female I now know due to the dead baby I found in one of my horse's feed buckets thanks to one of the cats) possum in the cat bed!!! I tried using a live trap with bbq chicken which I read online was an all time favorite of theirs but couldn't catch it. About 2 weeks later I found it in the bed again and threw a trash can over it, slid it off the shelf into a cage and drove it far far away while I gagged on it's horrible stench, I could smell it in from inside the truck and I had strapped it into the bed!
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

We sell a predator urine that our customers say works. It is called Legs Up Scent Company and is coyote urine - said to deter racoons and possums.
    There are a number of companies that market this stuff...some probably nearer to you. We also sell little bottles with a hole in the side which can be hung several feet apart on plants etc. (about $4.00) Some cotton wadding is put in the bottle and it is then soaked in the urine. We don't have racoons here, but they devastate ponds and we have had good reports.

Possums do not have a territory - they just wander around looking for food -
    so live trapping just gets rid on the current fellow - more will probably arrive.

We never used to have possums here, but they have been an invading army from the south for some time now. They have not found a way to cross the Fraser River, so there are none north of the river. Until someone does a live-relaease there which would be a crime.

Pearl got it tonight. Big sucker possum, too. She messed around with it and I thought I heard a few crunches, but the test will be tomorrow. If there is a corpse, I shall be very pleased. If not, then Pearl will have to have another go and I will have to have a sledge hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    I need to live-trap a possum. We have permission to move it to the golf course where my husband plays. What is good bait for the possum? Mr Possum is currently eating our cat food, but I don't want to use that as bait - otherwise, I might catch one of my kitties.
    FIGS!!!!!! We had one keep coming over for our fig tree! Even though the first time he was cornered but our dogs, 2nd time he was caught, handled, played with and put over the fence, 3rd time he was the main attraction with lights and cameras and dogs going bonkers! 5th time he was caught again, held and even got his picture put on FB! lol he loves those figs! I hope he keeps coming back, we like him!

I now have a dead possum in the yard. Don't know if it's the barn one that Pearl brought home or a totally different one. But at least it's dead.

Farm dogs are the BEST!

We have never had a possum problem at the barn, but in the last week, the two dogs have killed two!!! That's the only kill I will praise them for!

I have an embarrassing story...

We were fighting the possum fight a few years ago. We had shot at and missed one the night before. The dog and I went down to the barn. All of a sudden he started smelling something - and then walked a few feet away and started vomiting. Sure enough - a dead possum. I mean it looked flat and everything. I ran up to the house to get DH to dispose of it and when we came back it was gone. Yea. Dead possum.

And anything that can emit an odor enough to make a dog wretch...

They like Apples and we fed them chicks at the wildlife center( pre-killed). They climbed my chain link and got into the apple tree, and My JRT found one up the tree, thankfully, i got the dogs in the house and chased it out of the yard.

But skunks also eat apples and meat, so you may end up trapping the wrong critter.
    Last edited by Nezzy; Nov. 12, 2010 at 04:23 PM.