The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Not Blanketing a stalled horse?

Is it bad not to blanket a horse with a mammoth coat that is stalled at night with lows in the 40s and daytime highs in the 70's?

Hahahaha! I think it would be bad TO blanket a horse in those conditions.

In the winter here (outside of Seattle) it is apt to be 40-50 by day and 25-35 by night, and we do not blanket -- even the horses that do not grow a thick coat. The only reason I like to blanket horses in stalls is because I have a few who like nothing better than to lie down in their poop or pee pile. UGH. But most of the time I don't bother.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I don't blanket my mare at all. She grows a very thick coat, comes in at night or stays in when the weather is really bad. She is not being ridden either. The BO does not change blankets, so I really do not want her blanketed 24/7, inside and out, and the blanket removed only when we visit her.

Many horses at our barn do not get blanketed at all, others wear the blankets day in and day out.

That is room temperature for a horse! No, I wouldn't blanket him.
    Click here before you buy.

No.

I only blanket horses (in MUCH colder weather) that can't grow a coat, are clipped, or are being ridden (keeps them cleaner) or just can't cope correctly due to age, sickness, etc. My exception is if the weather is damp or wet.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Since my horse is not clipped or under lights he doesn't get a blanket unless it is in the teens, he will get a waterpoof sheet for turnout if it is cold/wet/windy but usually I will just keep him in a bit longer for those conditions.

My husbands horse is an older fella and it can be hard to keep weight on him he gets blankets when it hits freezing at nights to help him keep his weight up, he also gets a sheet for windy/ cold days.

If my horse were stalled, I'd probably never blanket her! Definitely a-ok not to blanket.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

No.

If you're open to taking blanketing suggestions from a mule, check out what Fenway Bartholomule has to say:

http://www.braysofourlives.com/

The blanketing suggestions are in yesterday's post.

I'm usually a blanket-er, but I didn't blanket my horse at all the entire winter he was on stall rest, in a colder climate than that. He was fine and never got cold.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by EverAfter View Post
    Is it bad not to blanket a horse with a mammoth coat that is stalled at night with lows in the 40s and daytime highs in the 70's?
    Absolutely not! In fact I'd be worried they would get too hot w/ a blanket on at night and being that fuzzy. If you are worried about the horse being cold then free-choice hay is the way to go - fuels the furnace.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Have to agree - DW said it best, that's room temp for horses!

At 70 they're even working to stay a bit cool. 40* nights are breathing freely weather for horses.

A healthy horse with a good coat and plenty of hay, as long as he can get out of the high winds or skin-soaking rains, is perfectly capable of temperatures below 0*F.

If the horse in question were old, underweight or having some sort of pain or health issue that made him/her a "not easy" keeper. I would consider blanketing at night just to help maintain the calories consumed. They shiver their muscles to stay warm. They eat hay to have fuel to shiver their muscles. Save on the hay consumption and save the fuel, put on a blanket at night.

No it's not bad.

Indeed I'm struggling to imagine why anyone would want to blanket a stalled horse.... especially with those "heady" high temperatures!

I certainly would not blanket a horse in those conditions, either. Even my elderly thin-coated hard-keeping Thoroughbreds are very comfortable at 40 degrees. Especially if your horse has a thick winter coat, he is probably already a bit warm at those temperatures.

People often want to throw blankets on their horses whenever they (the people) feel cold, but it's important to remember that they're cold weather animals, and usually when you're feeling comfortable or even a bit chilly they're pretty warm.

No way. Don't blanket that horse.

Haven't blanketed in years. My wooly mammoths do just fine, even in very cold weather. I add more hay and warm up the water.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I have an OTTB and I'm usually one to blanket but I'm also usually one to bodyclip. But I might not do either this year.

Our days are currently getting up to the 50's and next week I hear it is going to be in the 70s here and there. At night, it has gotten down into the 30's. Since my horse is in during the night, I'm not going to blanket.

My BO knows that if she's got to get the guys out during the day if it is drizzly to throw his med turn out on but I think we're going naked this year. I might blanket if it gets into the 20's during the day. But we'll see. If I stick my hand in his coat and I feel a nice little fire burning, I'll be leaving him alone. He's growing a nice, dense coat right now.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I put rain sheets on for cool, rainy day turnout, otherwise nothing.

Under those conditions, it would be silly TO blanket.

However, I will admit to throwing some sheets on some fuzzballs this past week at night (normally, I would almost never blanket an unclipped horse, inside or out), but our circumstances were different. We have additions going on both ends of the barn and BOTH ends are open on top right now, so all the heat in the barn can go right out. Our lows were getting down around freezing, and since the horses are in at night, I was worried that my fuzzies weren't moving enough to keep their body heat up (they both a little on the scrawny side, too). They were also the two closest stalls to one end of the barn, and the cold draft was blowing RIGHT on them. So, they got a little layer for the nights (then one subsequently got clipped, so is now blanketed no matter what).

Our barn is a freaking ice box right now...can not WAIT for the construction to be over and done with!

I'm surprised someone would even ask that question. We don't blanket and it gets down well below zero here. IMO it would be cruel to blanket a horse in those temps. ESPECIALLY if the horse has his winter coat.