The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Outdoor arena lighting Q - quartz or high pressure sodium?

I have a 20mx60m dressage ring and have 3 lights along one side, installed by previous owner. When we bought theplace, they had those mercury vapor 'security' lights attached to the poles, which are, IMO, garbage. So handy hubby added a 1500 watt quartz fixture to each pole above the original lights. I had quartz lights at my previous place and was happy with them. They put out more light and a better quality light than the mercury vapor. Original builder spaced lights badly, leaving one end sort of dark and scary. And now I've added a round pen to the 'dark' end and need more lights.

When searching for 1500 quartz fixtures, I came across some high pressure sodium lights. How do these compare to the quartz? Would they be a better choice for lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post

The capital outlay to do solar would far, far outweigh any savings. This is a private arena, which is probably lit for less than 180 hours a year. Two quartz fixtures are a whopping $130 - installation is 'free' since DH is an electrical engineer.

The Amazon link says:
    "This is the absolute brightest solar-powered, motion-activated outdoor security floodlights on the market. ... This environmentally friendly unit puts out the light equivalent of a 40 watt halogen bulb"

Doesn't sound very bright to me, and solar motion-sensor lights typically are designed for low duty cycle...

40 watts? That's less than your average household light bulb!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I like Metal Halide best. HPS is gives off a pinkish light. MH is what you see in well lit gas stations at night, and is a nice white light. Costs are pretty comparable all the way around for MH and HPS.

I'm also thinking about putting in floodlights down by our arenas. Does anyone have rough figures for the cost of running them though? I have some Halogen floodlights around the house but they are used so infrequently that whatever costs involved are minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    I like Metal Halide best. HPS is gives off a pinkish light. MH is what you see in well lit gas stations at night, and is a nice white light. Costs are pretty comparable all the way around for MH and HPS.
    I found a 150-watt fixtures around $180 - is the wattage comparison different between quartz and MH? (like between fluourescent and incandescent?) I don't see any bigger than 150-watt in my quick search - and some run up to $450 each fixture - far cry from my humble $50 1500-watt quartz lights!

The last ones I bought of these were less than 300 bucks each, but it's been a while:

http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/ar.../ac8499-m.html

Ruud has some neat spec sheets that include a graph of area coverage, brightness, at different mounted heights. It makes it pretty easy to design coverage. It looks like they are a little more careful about who they sell to than they used to be, but if you can talk while knowing what you are talking about, you can probably open an account with them like I did.

http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/pd...ets/AC8-22.pdf

If you can't deal with Ruud, do a Google search for 1000w MH floodlight
    and you will find plenty.

Please consider where the light is going though. No need to light up the whole neighborhood. Look for hooded lamps to direct the light where you need it. Please don't add to the orange glow on someone's horizon

They are called "Area Cutoff Lights" that only throw the light where you want it. We like dark skies here too.

Glad you guys are thinking about the light pollution factors.

Here's some high pressure sodium area cutoff lights:

http://store.starrynightlights.com/arealighting.html

The main Starry Nights website has more info on avoiding light pollution and maximizing visibility.