The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Is this the horse that DOC rode for awhile under the name "Our Native" or "The Native"?
    I don't think so. I rode Uno Roberto when he was 6 and still racing. He was a PA bred stakes horse. Later I read that he died when he was 12. He was a stallion when I knew him and was incredibly kind and intelligent. He was only about 15.3 and very athletic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    I don't think so. I rode Uno Roberto when he was 6 and still racing. He was a PA bred stakes horse. Later I read that he died when he was 12. He was a stallion when I knew him and was incredibly kind and intelligent. He was only about 15.3 and very athletic.
    It was his son, Native Roberto that DOC rode under the name of The Native. I knew Uno Roberto rang a bell, so I looked.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

It was his son, Native Roberto that DOC rode under the name of The Native. I knew Uno Roberto rang a bell, so I looked.
    Oh very good! That news brought tears to my eyes.

This is interesting regarding temperaments.

The Kris S. gelding that cllane and I own is like you said, not lovey. He likes me but does not behave for her. Heck, some times he's downright unpleasant for her.

When we bought him off the track, we were told by that vet that he was dangerous as a stallion and that he was trying to hurt people. When working with another former track vet and discussing pedigree, he asked why he was gelded (he's out of Inreality Star who produced breeders cup winner, Meadow Star). I told him a/b him being so rank and he said that he's worked with a couple of Kris S colts and they were all particularly unpleasant.

He told me to watch the Kris S. colts on TV and notice that most were handled with a lip chain. Anyone remember Rock Hard Ten's antics??

Mine is a hard worker, but he likes to fight on occasion.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Default Wow I'm lucky...

After reading all of these posts it makes me super grateful that my Kris is the way that he is. He is a bit of a character but not mean or nasty, definitely not dangerous intentionally. If he likes you he really likes you but if he doesn't like you, he ignores you. He is easy to handle and he definitely respects me on the ground and we are working on that under saddle.
    I'm curious though...
    how many of you have dark bay Kris S horses? Does anybody's horse have the droopy lower lip and scholera like my guy does? My guy is a little over in the knees- is anyone else's?
    My Kris's sire was Evening Kris out of Kris S and supposedly my guy has 4 foals on the ground but don't know anything about them. Wish I did.
    Here's a link to our goofy Coggins pictures (btw, I know he is under weight and we are working on it. He has a lot of issues this year that he had to recover from and he is putting on weight slowly but nicely.)
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...elioness/kris/

(I'm a bad horse mom- all of my pics are on my camera or on my phone not on the computer.)

Much as I hate to post this because I do love Roberto in pedigrees, a very large percentage of his stallion sons were notorious for evil dispositions. Kris S was one of those. Now I'm certainly not willing to say that they were inherently evil because the lives breeding stallions often live would not be conducive to placidity, especially when you factor in testosterone and sensitivity, but many of them are on the bad actor list.

I do know that Kris S is the sire of Kissing Kris, who also is not notable for his kindness and gentleness.
    I have a stallion out of Kris S. who is gentle and wonderful. He is now 13 and retired from racing. Even after a long career in racing, he retired sound. We now use him for some shows and trail riding. Wonderful horse.