The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default P&C Agents

Ugh, I hope I dont miss OT day

Any Property and Casualty agents out there?? Really looking into this so need the good the bad and the ugly !!!!!!!
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

20 years in industry as an underwriter but not an agent (and out of industry now, thank God)....

What is it you're looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Well, Im not positive WHAT im looking for except your experiance ( and it seems you became very unhappy!)

I have decided that this was what I very much want to do, but I have no knowlegde or know anyone that does in the field. I have been dedicated for the past month or so, but I have read horror stories of people thinking they were 110% prepared to test and pass and failed with under a 60% in some cases, which is pretty scary to me.

I do not have any backing in the industry. I just jumped in with both feet and am now just praying. It seems to be a hard industry to break into, specifically if you do not have a college degree.

Funny you mention Underwriting- That seems to be a more entry level position, and I just applied yesterday- of course that doesnt mean much as im sure I wont even get a call back, but im trying to remain positive !!!!

The test is hard. It's best to take it right after completing a test prep course. Pay attention to the test content outline and concentrate on studying. And know you state law as far as it applies to insurance agents.

Here's the problem. Do you have a job or a likelihood of getting a job in the industry soon? The reason being is that once you are licensed, you have a limited period of time to get appointed by a carrier. If you don't get appointed in that timeframe, poof your license is void. You can get it back, but only by passing the test again.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

No, At this point I dont have any prospects in terms of employment, or even connections.

Im really trying to get in entry level. But again, this is hard without either a degree or at least 3 years in the insurance field.

I certainly did not expect it to be such a limited field. Specifically even the open and available jobs in my area are limited. At any given time I have never found more than 3 or 4 and these are all for experienced agents or someone with a 4 year degree in finance. I have 5+ years in A/P and A/R but no degree. I would hope that having on the job experience would be a +, but without having a degree im sure my Resume is just being overlooked.

Im concerned that I got a little ambitious with this and will be unable to even get my foot in the door.

My plan is to not test until I do have an opportunity but wanted to give myself a head start as I have heard the test is challenging.

Not an agent, but another P&C underwriter here. I think that underwriting might be easier to get into because sometimes experience outweighs degrees, and the jobs are with insurance carriers which can be a little more resistant to losing accounts. Most of the agents I know have let a lot of their CSR's go because the economy is so horrible so you're correct that there isn't much out there in the way of entry level positions with no experience on the agency side.

However, I know of very few major carriers right now even opening up entry level underwriting position. At least in P&C, I don't know about health, life, workers comp, etc. My company used to bring in 5-10 new underwriters a year (fresh out of college folk) but hasn't had a class for about 3 years now. All the underwriters I know who have left have gone into positions requiring experience. So its tough out there, like all other industries. But if you have any questions I can try and help you!

I'm an agent of 3yrs now.

I started as the receptionist at a local agency and they offered to pay for my education & test upon completion so I did it.

It took me 5 times to pass the test :-P

I am 2 in of the 5 tests required for my CISR designation now.

After I FINALLY passed my test, I mostly did processing/billing in the office of all personal & commercial lines of business to help me learn the ins and outs of the policies, by having to read through them (holy boring!) every day.

I'm now the only claims person for both lines, in the office. I LOVE claims. It's different everyday, and even though it's bad stuff happening to our insured's, I love being able to try to get them whatever is due & just learning from the more experienced Adjuster's as far as what is normally covered and what's not. As a claims person, your Adjuster is your best friend and I have one who is a "good ole boy" and has been in the industry for over 30 years that has become my go-to for any question on any claim whether he handles it or not.

I say, if you really think this is what you want to do, go for it, but a lot of agencies will probably start you like mine just doing processing and not as an account manager right off the bat.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."