The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default highest calorie feed per pound avil

Does anyone know what the highest cal feed avil per pound is, I know triple crown training a 13-13-13 is 1900 cal pp, Triple crown Senior is like 1590 cals pp. how do other feeds hold up to these numbers? WOULD LIKE MORE BANG FOR MY BUCK

1900, if that's the case, is probably about as high as it's going to get.

What are you trying to gain? Sometimes it's not just about (more) calories, but about better nutrition (though TC is among the best in that regard, for at least most of their feeds anyway).

There's a chance Purina Ultium might be higher.

Chances are if you cost out feed you'll find that you pay more for protein than carbohydrates. So buying the highest number of calories for the dollar might not be in the best interests of the horse.

Or, put another way, there's more to nutritian than calories.

G.

Might want to call Pennfield and ask about this one..they don't list the calories on the website but it says "HIGH CALORIE"

http://www.pennfieldequine.com/produ...ty_equinox.php

I'm assuming your looking for 'complete' feeds and not Empower or another supplement product. I've found that the TC feeds are the best at keeping weight on per #

I am feeding an 18 yr old argentine thb .She is wormed reg, her teeth are not great ,got her that way, guess polo club that had her went over board. I also give her 8 pounds of training(I weigh it out each day and feed 4pds am-4 pounds pm, 4 ounces of flax and 2 cups of soy but thinking abt switching to corn heard it has more cal ,have used cocosoya before buti did not see a diff plus cost a lot . She has gained weight on the tc training but still see rib she is also on a rd bale has unlimited turn out and I am give 2-4 flakes of alf a day, not sure what else I can do. I just dont want to go backwards in her weight gain.

I've fed more TC Senior than that, but break up into 3 to 4 feedings. You could easily feed up to 12 lbs of senior in 3 feeds. Four lbs is my max per feed. Maybe more alf hay. I prefer to feed hay to put on weight, if at all possible. What is the quality of your round bale? Have you had it tested. Higher quality hay may do the trick.

Also, the TC senior is higher in protein, fiber and nutrients than a lot of other feeds, it's optimized for seniors (which your horse is). It's also low in NSC, which corn is most definitely not.

You say her teeth are not great...what does the vet/dentist say? Are you having them floated regularly? Is she able to chew hay adequately?

My horse would be skinny on that diet too. You need to feed some form of grass hay as well as alfalfa, and 2-4 flakes of alfalfa a day if thats all the hay he is getting, is not early enough, you should also weigh it and let us know how much hay she is getting. Also you should feed 8-16 ounces of flax, 4 ounces will do nothing. Add a multivitamin in there and add some high omega-3 oil, corn oil is much to inflammatory for an old horse. Do not add straight "corn" grain, really bad idea for colic. What is "training" do you have a website for that feed, so I can look at the nutrition of it?

I just did a bunch of math to figure out cost per calorie for the things I've been feeding, with local pricing. TC feeds aren't readily available to me, so I don't have any numbers for them. Ultium was the highest calorie per pound feed available to me at 1800 calories/lb and came out less expensive per calorie than the Purina Sr he'd been getting.

If you want to keep it simple, stick with the stuff you're feeding and add oil. Is she still in full work or will she be let down for winter? that might make a huge difference.

Purina Ultium is 1800 calories pp, so it would seem TC Training formula is the highest.

Quote Originally Posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
    My horse would be skinny on that diet too. You need to feed some form of grass hay as well as alfalfa, and 2-4 flakes of alfalfa a day if thats all the hay he is getting, is not early enough,
    I think you missed the part about free access to a round bale.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Also, how long have you had this mare? How long have you been trying to put weight on her? You don't want to overdue anything. Weight gain is usually slower than weight loss. You want a nice steady weight gain, not overnight.

For a few of your bucks you could buy a gallon of corn oil, feed two cups a day and hugely boost the calorie intake.
    Click here before you buy.

...knowing that some horses just don't do well on oil

highest calories per pound?

Oil (corn, rice bran, flaxseed,...)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have not had the rd bales tested as I also have 5 other horses not in the same feild on the rd bales and they look good , not sure how many feilds my hay lady uses to be honest. Her teeth have I guess been power floated to much to the point they all are short and crooked can,t imagine why they would do this ,she drops alot of grain but eats the drop stuff off the ground she does have enough teeth to eat hay and alf as I seen her eating this with no trouble ,surprisingly enough .The dentist said they were fine for what they were ,no sharp edges. I guess I will have to wait was just hoping she would not have rib showing by now .I also had fecals done so I wanted to see worm load they all looked gd. I have had this mare I guess about a year ,she started to drop weight last winter and I did the sr ,alf cubes beet pulp thing plus all the other oil stuff ect. she gained weight than I pulled fecals In May and was trying strongid c2x all by the book, weight taped everyone . called tc nutritionist ect. all my horses had bad reaction to it and by six weeks they looked like New Holland Spec. so I called pyszer (excuse spelling ) took all my guys off the strongid and gave everyone just the triple crown training the ending of that delemia was begin of August, so everyone of my guys is looking good now but the old mare, So I thought I would just ask

The old mare is ridden occasionally now and not very hard usually walking trail rides . She does have 24 hour turnout unless weather is bad at her age being turned out is better for her and she has plenty of room in the pasture and a good group of herd mates that dont run her or bother her .