The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dachshund love...

Because I never tire of seeing cute and cuddly dachshunds, or showing mine off, let's share!

Sylvia, my 10-year-old mini 'hund... got her when she was 6, weighing 21 lbs, bad back, bad hip, not housebroken, and food aggressive. Now she is a svelte 14 lbs, sweetest and friendliest dog ever, housebroken, a therapy dog, and loves agility class...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...41729_5602.jpg
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...41725_4838.jpg
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...41728_5456.jpg
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...41726_5072.jpg

We have a strong case of daschund love, too. We lost out l7 year old little man a week ago and he has left a surprizingly large hole for such a little dog.

I had had his teeth done some time ago, and while I was sure he was going to pop his clogs on the table, the vet assured me that the numbers were surprizingly good for older dogs. That gave him a whole new lease on life and I was so pleased we went for it. He was not swallowing all that purtid bacteria
    and fighting it off. We were sure he would make l8, but his kidneys failed and when he couldn't eat we did what was kindest. No daschie was so loved, though.

Aww, I'm sorry, Foxtrot...

Thank you for the reminder about teeth cleaning... I always worry about that with an older dog too, but that's a great point about how much better they feel without the bacteria and disease. Sounds like your guy was very happy and very loved...

Awww... I have been breeding, showing and training these darlings for over 20 years.... I started with Standard longhairs and bred down to miniatures. I have 9 right now ranging in ages from 12 years old to barely 15 months. We have six in bed with us every night..... I can't post attachments so I can't send pics......

I can't post pics either but I have been owned by dachshunds since I was 3. I've never been without one since. Currently I have 2. A standard wire male who is a conformation champion and has points toward his field championship and a mini wire male who is my daughter's dog. Billy, the mini, was injured as a pup with a resulting limp so he couldn't be shown. I don't show now because my daughter is a competition dancer and I can't afford to show both kid and dogs. I'd like to get back to it on of these days.

AZDQ, what's your kennel name?

Here are a few pics, mostly of Simon but a few of his friends
    http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/SimonAndAsher#
    I've had dachshunds most of my life, bred WillowMars Federal Silk and Willow MArs Superman ML
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    AZDQ, what's your kennel name?
    Teckelhof - my mother started breeding them on Long Island back in the late 60's. I continued on with her bloodlines....

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Here are a few pics, mostly of Simon but a few of his friends
    http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/SimonAndAsher#
    I've had dachshunds most of my life, bred WillowMars Federal Silk and Willow MArs Superman ML
    I have heard of Federal Silk!!! I love dapples!!!

I wish I still had my Chili-dog

My first dog was a miniature long haired black & tan female dachshund and she owned me to say the least LOL That little dog ruled our house like no other! If I even budged an inch in bed after she got cozy she would bark at me to "STAY!" haha

I have an Irish Wolf-hound mix right now, and when she goes (god forbid) my next dog will definitely be another dachshund. I LOVE the mini red long haireds, sooo pretty.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Teckelhof - my mother started breeding them on Long Island back in the late 60's. I continued on with her bloodlines....
    I've heard of your kennel and maybe have seen some of your standard dogs. I'll have to look at some of my old DCA journals.

Love my doxies. I have 2 rescues currently.
    The oldest is a long hair standard that came from a puppy mill and had who knows how many litters. She's still working through some issues with strangers but making progress. The other is a short hair miniature who was surrendered by her previous owners after they were reported. She was starved and full of fleas/ticks but was still the friendliest little dog.
    You would never know either of them have ever been through all that though. Both have the big doxie personality and total loyalty to the people they own . Can't imagine coming home to a house without them although there are days I could live without that ear splitting bark!

Awww, I miss my Doxie! I put Metro down in 2008 after 16 1/2 years.

He was NOT cuddly. In fact, we called him the Evil Little Bastard. He was all about What You Have Done For Me Lately, but what a character.

He was a trainwreck of a dog--4/6 heart murmur, hypothyroid, fused disks, cognitive dysfunction. But boy, he didn't let any of it slow him down.

He started to have cognitive dysfunction around age 11, and we put him on medication and food, which slowed the progression quite well. In his last years, he was like Uncle Junior from Sopranos--sweet and child-like at times, then he'd come to his senses and be the same old bastard he'd always been.

I would catch him standing in the kitchen with a dazed look on his face, then one of the cats would walk by. Suddenly his eyes would sharpen and he'd snap back into the present as he jumped to chase the cat through the house, usually coming back with a little tuft of kitty hair in his teeth.

He'd also trot through the house and occasionally slip and fall as his proprioception got worse. But he'd pick himself right up with a snort and a shake of his head like "Nobody saw that. I'm fine." We finally put him down when he started to have real trouble getting back up again and we were afraid he'd be down and struggling while we were at work.

I'd have another one in a heartbeat.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.