The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default COuld probably use some jingles for yearling colt - UPDATE Post #22 not so good news

HAve an 18 month old yearling TB colt, Powerplay aka "little Man" (even tho he isn't very little anymore!!). Not at all sure what happened. Two days ago when feeding him (he lives in a paddock with a 22 yr old retired gelding), I noticed what appeared to be an abrasion on the right hipbone. He seemed fine and didn't look like anything so merely took note of it, fed him and that was that. The next morning (yesterday) he was DEAD lame on that leg, as in did not want to walk. But didnt see any swelling, heat, just the "abasion". So called vet and she recommended Banamine and then 2 grams bute last night and see how he did. Hopefully just a kick or something, of course possibility of a broken pelvis, but she said lets see how he does. Last night seemed a bit better, and then this AM didn't want to walk up to eat, even tho he was nickering and hungry and I went to get him and noticed drainage all down his hip and leg from the "abrasion" and a definite smell of infection! So now totally perplexed. Called vet and now he is up in the stall and on antibiotics as well as bute. Cannot figure it out, you don't get that kind of infection in 1 1/2 days so somethign has been brewing that there was no sign of. I am thinking it isn't really life threatning, but still quite concerned. If not getting better by Thursday will have vet out to take a look. Just very very strange.
    Last edited by shawneeAcres; Nov. 15, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Jingles for your boy!
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

I had a horse once that banged his hip on a tree or gate post. A gash and very sore. He was quite lame, and I recall I did take him in to the vet. It was difficult to do, but they xrayed the point of his hip. It was very jagged, like the top of the Rocky Mountains, where it should have been smooth. Maybe your guy broke some bone off. The good news is that my guy got better uneventfully and went on to normal hunter activities.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

jingles!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Jingles for a quick recovery. Hopefully all he needs are some antibiotics.

I have always been told that before you start an animal on antibiotics, you want to know what the infection is you are treating, so you give them the correct antibiotics. Some work for gram pos, gram neg, etc

I am not a vet, but that is what I have been told. By administering antibiotics you lose that valuable piece of information of what type infection it is.

I am not one to give antibiotics without first discussing with the vet. I have smz's on hand to give to normal run of the mill cuts, etc/. But, this seems a bit more strange.

Jingles for your colt.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Jingles for your baby!

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    I have always been told that before you start an animal on antibiotics, you want to know what the infection is you are treating, so you give them the correct antibiotics. Some work for gram pos, gram neg, etc

I am not a vet, but that is what I have been told. By administering antibiotics you lose that valuable piece of information of what type infection it is.

I am not one to give antibiotics without first discussing with the vet. I have smz's on hand to give to normal run of the mill cuts, etc/. But, this seems a bit more strange.

Jingles for your colt.
    Well typically around here we start on a pretty broad spectrum anitbiotic, which nine times out of ten will work. If not then we can pull out the big guns. I am leaving out of town later this week, so I needed to get him on something and see if we get any progress. We are pretty rural so to get the vet, then get a culture done etc would take a few days and honestly I am not willing to wait a few days on this. I am thinking that probably he stuck something in there and it has "festered" and abcessed. I do much of my own vetwork out of necessity here both from a financial and logistical standpoint. Normally this wouldn't be worrying me, but the extreme lameness along with this drainage is just quite odd. Most likely will turn out to be nothing more than that.

Sending jingles from Ojai. Good luck.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Jingles for your boy. Hopefully this round of antibiotics will be enough to get rid of whatever's going on!

Well crap, just seeing this. I hope the "little" guy hasn't broken anything.
    He looked so good in the pictures you sent me last week.

Jingles for "Freebie".
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    Well crap, just seeing this. I hope the "little" guy hasn't broken anything.
    He looked so good in the pictures you sent me last week.

Jingles for "Freebie".
    I know Dawg, he is growing like a weed and has the nicest set of legs on him! He seems a bit better today, am keeping him in the barn at night and put him out in the round pen during the day so he can move a little. He was walking a bit easier tonight, but still quite sore and walking a bit "crab like". His appetite is great tho and he is bright, a little upset that he had to be taken away from his buddy. I really don't think its something broken now since the abcess opened up, I think that maybe he had gotten some sort of a wound, puncture, or even a snake bite (although I would ahve thought there would be swelling) and it festered and abcessed. Must have been VERY small for me not to notice it tho. Am hoping this is just a "bump in the road" for him. He is SUCH a sweet natured fellow!!

Jingles and prayers for your boy.

Jingles for your boy.

Big jingles for your boy from PA. Please keep us posted.

I had a weanling here that hit her hip running through a (14 foot!!!) gate....I didn't see it, but found her unable to move later in the stall . My vet suspected a broken pelvis, which is able to heal (but LONG rest - 4 to 6 months in a stall).....We gave her bute and kept her in. She seemed to be getting a BIT better.....but her owner finally had the University Vet come after three weeks, and he discovered it was her hip that was broken...not her pelvis.
    I could hear a grinding if I listened closely......
    She was put down and I cried for weeks!! It was so sad.....
    Listen very well when she moves and you can often HEAR the bones moving if something is broken.
    I surely hope this isn't the case with your youngster.....good luck!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles from Florida for your youngster.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Any updates? Hope all is going well.

UPDATE: Vet was out this AM and went into the wound, seems he likely has a Sequestrum, small piece of bone that was knocked off in some sort of blunt force, probably a kick wound. She took some of the fluid to culture and for now just pack the wound, keep clean and wait for culture results to determine what to treat with since it didint respond to SMZ tablets well. Hopefully will wall itself off and not be a problem, but possibility he may have to be laid down and go in and really clean it out (hope not!). So will get results of the culture in four days and treat appropriately. Seems localized, no fever, eating fine etc, just is still pretty lame, he is fine with restricted turnout to move around, all he wants to do is walk anyways, not likely to run around, he rarely is one to rip and roar even if he is feeling good! So hopefully we can get this reslved. Has a huge hole now so should keep draining well.

Smile

It is good that you have a diagnosis now. I hope he continues to eat and feel well otherwise. Best of luck to you both.