The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The Book or the Movie?

Which books do you think were far superior to the movie, and which books do you think were surpassed by the movie?

I think the classic example for me is Gone With the Wind. Even though the movie was fun and long, with great visuals (Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh among them), there was just no way it could live up to the detail in the book.

Any others?

Usually the books are better, IMO. An easy one for me is Lonesome Dove, (loved the book, and though I haven't seen the movie made for the Thorn Birds, I can't imagine it's anywhere as good as the book).

I like Stephen King's books way better than the movies based on them, (though I have to admit it's a close one with The Stand and the Green Mile, both movies were good too). Most movies are just too short to get as deeply involved with the characters.

The LOTR movies were great, and did a pretty good job trying to fit in most of what was in the books too. I know they planned on making the Hobbit movie, now I think it's kind of "in limbo", hope they get around to filming it while Ian McKellen is still around!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I remember loving the book A Little Princess when I was younger, so when the '95 movie came out I wanted to see it for nostalgic reasons.

Ooohhh, what utter dreck! And what a cop-out having daddy be alive in the end, with the extra slap in the face of that tired old cliche of amneeeeesia.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie was almost malignant in its attempt to suck out the fun and humor that was present in the books.

I do agree that LOTR stayed remarkably true to the books. I can read the books and follow along with the movie visuals in my head for the most part.

As for a movie better than the book, my pick is The Princess Bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    As for a movie better than the book, my pick is The Princess Bride.
    Funny you should say that.

I adore the movie. I've watched it a million times, I can recite just about every line as I watch it, and I quote it frequently. ("You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." )

But I could not get through the book. Not even close. Maybe someday I'll try again.

Books are almost always better than the movie...

"Princess Bride" book and movie are about tied for me though, and I might prefer the movie version of "About A Boy" to the book, but only slightly.

The movie "Memento" is better than the short story it was based on, at least. (:

One of the biggest differences for me was A.S. Byatt's "Possession"--absolutely love the book, but the movie was pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sock View Post
    Usually the books are better, IMO. An easy one for me is Lonesome Dove, (loved the book, and though I haven't seen the movie made for the Thorn Birds, I can't imagine it's anywhere as good as the book).
    "The Thorn Birds" miniseries was dreck, but entertaining dreck — the don't make TV miniseries like they used to. Of course, Richard Chamberlain was badly miscast as a lustful straight man....

The PBS miniseries of "Brideshead Revisited" — NOT the recent movie — is equal to the book. Ditto for "The English Patient."
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

99.9% of the time it's the book, hands down.

So when I read 'the horse whisperer' I passed on the book, not even Robert Redford was able to change how bad I thought the book was (one of the few books I immidiately tossed out at a yardsale, sold it to a Steven King fan, for the opening chapter...as gruesom as it was IMHO it was the best part of the book...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

First ones that come to mind:

Wonder Boys - love the book and the movie equally. Michael Douglas' best role IMO.

Bonfire of the Vanities - one of my all time favorite books, and a horrid, atrocious movie. Seriously. Too bad.

Also:

The Great Gatsby - sorry Robert Redford, it is hard to beat one of the best books ever written :-)

Vast majority of books are better than the movie, or at best, the movie is equally good. One exception I can think of is Contact, which is not one of my favorite movies ever, but no offense to dear Carl Sagan, the story is good but the writing style was not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by ZiggyStardust; Nov. 2, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Except for I read the book Julia and Julia and I did not like it at all. Watched the movie and it was so much better!!!

Most of the time though the book is better
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by InWhyCee Redux View Post
    The PBS miniseries of "Brideshead Revisited" — NOT the recent movie — is equal to the book. Ditto for "The English Patient."
    Can I agree with you while stipulating that the English Patient movie is actually a supremely lousy adaptation of the book? I like them both but for totally different reasons.

For something completely different, I think the movie Stardust is better than the book.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Does a tv show count? I actually have enjoyed watching True Blood more than I enjoyed reading the books.

The Devil Wears Prada..... book and ending was MUCH better!

I will sometimes see a movie and if I like it will read the book for more enjoyment....

I thought the Harry Potter books were way better than the movies (even though I love the movies too). Same with Twilight.

I agree on the the Princess Bride- thought the movie was better. Also Jaws! much better movie than book I think.

My favorite book on earth is The Prince of Tides- movie SUCKS!
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil- way better book.

Brokeback Mountain movie and the book are about equal which is something I think is pretty rare
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Frankenstein. Book: ; movie: .
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Horse Whisperer--movie pissed me off with what they changed

Harry Potter--books much better

LOTR is good, but books still better!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Frankenstein. Book: ; movie: .
    This made me think of a new twist.

For books that were made into movies more than once, what's your favorite version?

I really enjoyed the most recent version of Pride and Prejudice (with Keira Knightley), but the book is such great source material, I think most movie versions are quite good. Even the present-day Mormon one and the Bollywood take a few years back.

Kind of like 'The Three Musketeers'?

I have not seen any in the long time, but I think it's a toss up between the Gene Kelly one and the Micheal York one...

The Disney version...I saw the ending and can't get myself to watch the beginning...

I mean, of the 3 movies non of them stuck to the book ending, but the Disney one was the absolute worst!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I almost always think the book is better, with the exception of the movie PS I Love You which I think is far better than the book.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I also think the books are almost always better, with a few exceptions.

Personally, I couldn't make it though the LOTR books but enjoyed the movies. Not excessively so, but definitely more than the books. My husband says I'm a barbarian but there you go.

Stephen King, I used to almost always prefer the movies to the books. Especially The Shining. First time I read the book I hated it, but love Kubrick's film (I think there was a miniseries made too that was awful if I remember right). Now however I've been reintroduced to King and am liking the books a lot more than I used to, so that's on my list and we'll see how it holds up.

The Princess Bride book and movie are pretty equal in my eyes, but I think I like the movie a bit more. It's just so perfectly done and really brings them all to life, without all the extraneous stuff the author has in the book (which isn't necessarily bad, don't get me wrong, but it does clutter up the story).

Horse Whisperer too, I hated the book but thought the movie was watchable. Not great, but not the worst horse movie I'd ever seen.

Lonesome Dove is one where while the book is amazing, the movie deserves an honorable mention. I think they did a really good job with it. No film could really compare to the book, but boy did they try and I think came about as close as the medium would allow.

One book that comes to mind that was so very much better than the movie is The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. It has been one of my favorite horror novels for a long time and I liked the original movie, The Haunting, which follows the book very closely but can't really capture the full horror of the book IMO. So this past weekend for Halloween we rented the recent-ish remake (it came out several years ago) starring Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones and it was an abomination. The characters were obnoxious, the plot changes were unbelievable, and the ending was horrible. I like Liam Neeson a lot, too.

The movie Matilda is way better than the book....and I'm a huge roald dahl fan.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!