The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going somewhere tropical for Christmas 2011 - tips and ideas

My grandmother is 86 and she has expressed a desire to go somewhere tropical for Christmas next year. (She has actually been talking about this for a couple of years.) She is still healthy and able-bodied and it would be good to actually do this while she can, rather than just talk about it.

She has mentioned Grand Cayman and Hawaii as possibilities. I am sure some of us will want to try to use airmiles in some form or another.

So. Where to start? Has anyone done this? It means coordinating at least Grandma and the 5 members of my family (2 parents, 3 kids), and possibly a couple of aunts/uncles. Is this something that is doable for a week over Christmas? (I guess we could try for a week earlier or later as well.) Or is this only for the jet-setting rich and famous?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Totally doable. We've done both (Grand Cayman and Hawaii -- I won't count the Hawaii one because we actually own three condos in Maui so it's way easier there!) But my grandmother and great uncle wanted to go somewhere tropical. We organized for grandma (88), great uncle (79), me, DH, my parents, an aunt and uncle and their two sons to go. We rented a house in Grand Cayman which was much easier and cheaper than a hotel. We also sort of staggered arrivals by a day or half day so that someone bit the bullet and got their first to get the cars and house all organized before the rest of the troops arrived. Cayman has some wonderful things to do for older people, too, like snorkeling at Stingray City (really, just standing in the 4 foot deep water playing with them ), walking 7 mile beach, going to the 4 seasons to listen to the piano player (he is wonderful!!), driving up to the botanical gardens or Turtle Sanctuary, and with a house you can bbq and eat out on the patio or whatever you like.

Cayman is safe and very easy to get around in. Plus, heaven forbid something goes wrong, as a British territory, it has pretty good medical care and quick access back to the states (not that Hawaii doesn't, of course, but I honestly feel that Cayman is well worth the trip having been to both places several times)

ETA: Around Christmas, the flights over the Pacific to get to Hawaii can be very rough and it can get cold there. Benefits: whale watching in the winter.

It's doable. My brother, mother, stepfather, two step siblings, and then stepfathers sister, husband, and daughter all went to Tenerife for Christmas and new year's one year. I flew to Scotland after school was finished for the semester and then flew with my mother and stepfather and his kids to the island. Stepfathers sister and her husband and daughter came down after Christmas and stayed through New Year's. My brother flew via London and we picked him up at the airport. My brother's gf (now ex, but she lived in Germany) also came. We just picked her up when she got in at the airport. We all just stayed at the same hotel.
    I'd like to go to Scotland for Christmas next year (not warm and sunny, but my mother lives there so)... but may be living on the west coast by then which will make it much more difficult. I don't even want to think about the extra plane/travel time.. ugh!

I would rent a house - you'll enjoy yourselves alot more, more room to spread out, can make some meals on your own which is less exensive. We rent a condo every few years in Turks & Caicos....awesome beaches but you may want a place where there is more to do.

What about a cruise??

It's definitely doable! We did a family vacation to a villa in Jamaica, overlooking Montego Bay, splitting costs between all the families. It was actually one of the best vacations I've ever gone on - which is amazing, considering it included the family! The villa was staffed with a cook, butler, maid, laundress, and we had a driver. Even came home with clean, ironed laundry! Here's the link - I would definitely recommend it!

http://www.jamaicavillas.com/villa-l.../hanover-house

Thanks for the ideas! The staffed villa sounds interesting... but it would probably take a crow-bar to pry my grandmother out of the kitchen for the making of Christmas dinner!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng