The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default School Lunches

If I make another PB&J or PB&H sandwich.. i think i shall go bonkers..
    and we are only 1/4 of the way thru the school year...

Do a quick search on Amazon for "Lunchbox Recipes" or something along those lines. TONS of great books with great and easy ideas. I bought about five that are full of strictly vegetarian lunches, because I was never more creative to come up with anything besides a cheese sandwich.

I still use them for quick snacks/picnics/sandwich ideas/etc.

The cool thing about Amazon is that you can buy books from private sellers for <$1.00 and pay the $3. shipping so you get a great, useable book for under $4.

Edit: There's also lots of great recipes online, but personally, while I love bookmarking online recipes, when I'm actually cooking I like to use books or at least have printouts of my favorite online recipes.

LOL, our school seems to be - yet again - peanut free

If your kids are into Japanese culture, google bento: nice little meals in a container. a bit more involved but no PB/J
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Lucky for us we can use peanut products.. just not loose peanuts in the natural state.. so PB is in!

Will your kids do leftovers as a hot lunch?

I have a couple small food thermos bottles that I pack leftovers in for the kids sometimes. Mine will eat anything and everything though.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Cold grilled cheese sandwiches are great!

Cheese/sausage/crackers.

Salad in a bowl with dressing packets.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Cold grilled cheese sandwiches are great!

Cheese/sausage/crackers.

Salad in a bowl with dressing packets.
    EEEWWW, that's HEALTHY!!

hmm, my kid would love it...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Ours isn't, but the pre-school was for a while. I made sunflower seed butter in the food processor with sunflower oil and a litle bit of honey, and it was soooo good.

Now my son, he'd eat PB&J 3 times a day every day if I let him. Plus we grow currants, so I make my own jelly, so I don't myself making anything new for the forseeable future

Let's see, when I was a kid, I also took other kinds of sandwiches to school. Ham & cheese, turkey, egg salad, tuna salad. In college, I'd usually take a bagel and cheese.

And there's nothing that says there has to be a "main course" as long as there's plenty of healthy foods involved. Fruits, veggie sticks, multi-grain crackers, whole-grain muffins, yogurt, granola, trail mix, cheese.
    Last edited by Wayside; Nov. 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typos
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

We also brought boiled eggs with packs of mustard and pepper.

For the grilled cheese sandwiches, they always cut them in long strips...seemed more interesting that way.

Peanut butter and celery strips.

Cheeze Whiz in a can with celery...it's not real food so it lasts forever on the shelf!"
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Soynut butter is now in most stores. I have a peanut allergy (not bad, just makes my throat itch and ears turn red).

My daughter used to take her "sundae" to school. Cottage cheese, crushed pineapple with a cherry or grape on top. That with whole grain crackers and carrot sticks made a decent lunch.

Baked chicken strips & dip (BBQ sauce or ranch dressing), anything rolled in a tortilla or flat bread. Pesto pasta salad made with spinach. Carrot raisin salad (1lb carrots shredded, 1 can crushed pineapple (small) raisins and vanilla yogurt. Yum. Pasta salad with lots of veggies and low fat salad dressing.

You just have to think outside of the box. And have an insulated lunchbox with an icepack.

My stepdaughter has been enjoying rice cakes lately, there are a lot of different flavors added to them now. She usually takes a scoop of peanut butter and either celery or an apple also.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Try having to make sure the lunch is vegetarian too....

My sons school is Seventh Day Adventist but we are not....

We do spaghetti, Grilled Cheese, he has learned to love Bocca burgers, Cheese roll ups (Flour Tortilla with melted cheese rolled up), Hard breadsticks with dip. Mini cheese pizza bagels.

7 day adventists are vegetarians?
    well, a new thing learned every day.

I personally like my veggies chased through a pig first...hmmmmm ham.....

Chicken wings, chicken nuggets/patties, tortellini, mac n cheese in a thermos, soup in a thermos, cut-up vegetables with an individual packet of dressing, tortilla chips and salsa in a small container, hot dogs in a bun, fruit salad, tuna salad, apples, pretzels, rolled up deli meats (or a sandwich), imitation lobster, fruit/meat kabobs, and when all else fails, Lunchables! Thank the sweet lord for Lunchables!! :-)

WTF?

They tell you what you can and can't pack for lunch?
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Some do. Ours doesn't have a list of no-no's, but they do frown upon packing sweets except on Fridays. The cafeteria only offers dessert on Fridays, so I guess they're afraid of upsetting children whose mom's didn't pack them a cookie.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    WTF?

I do under stand when they do pull the plug on peanuts in Elementary school, reaching from K through 4, honestly. I mean, there are kids out there, lots of them who are gravely allergic to peanuts. but we are on our last year of middle school, one should expect kids to know when they are putting their life in danger with foods, to not trade lunches or snacks...or to let other people know. But it seems to be a trend around the country.
    So we can't send PB sandwiches or crackers or Planter's to school.
    On the bright side, the kid likes school lunch and at around 1.50 it's cheaper than a lunchable. But he does despise
    The First Lady for making the school take out the Iced Tea machine out of the lunchroom. He was looking forward to that since he got into middle school in 5th grade! (we don't have iced tea around the house usually, I don't drink it, I prefer hot tea or coffee.

I do under stand when they do pull the plug on peanuts in Elementary school, reaching from K through 4, honestly. I mean, there are kids out there, lots of them who are gravely allergic to peanuts. but we are on our last year of middle school, one should expect kids to know when they are putting their life in danger with foods, to not trade lunches or snacks...or to let other people know. But it seems to be a trend around the country.
    So we can't send PB sandwiches or crackers or Planter's to school.
    On the bright side, the kid likes school lunch and at around 1.50 it's cheaper than a lunchable. But he does despise
    The First Lady for making the school take out the Iced Tea machine out of the lunchroom. He was looking forward to that since he got into middle school in 5th grade! (we don't have iced tea around the house usually, I don't drink it, I prefer hot tea or coffee.
    The problem, at least around here is that while the child themselve may know that they are deathly allergic to peanuts (or whatever), the other children around them may not. And kids do not always wash their hands properly after eating, nor do they properly wash the area they were eating at. So Child A with the allergies sits where Child B sat eating peanut butter on crackers and low and behold Child A is being taken to the hospital for an attack.

I understand it, but it still sucks when you have a kid that won't eat anything but peanutbutter and the school won't let you send any type of spread, peanut or not.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Like I said, I can understand it, but personally if I was that troubled by allergies, I'd find safeguards!

I mean they push those stupid wipes on us like they are the best thing since sliced bread...

But the elimination of harmful substances is creating new heights of curious rules and regulations!

I am a monster. I don't pack my kids lunches. They pack their own and have since about 3rd or 4th grade if they aren't buying that day. Sometimes they pack PB&J, sometimes fluffernutter, sometimes leftovers in a thermos - it's up to them and what they feel like having. It isn't my lunch.