The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New mid-grade or used high-end saddle?

I'm just curious what folks would rather be riding in ....

For the exact same cost of $2000 would you rather be riding in a brand-new, mid-grade quality saddle OR a used, with-a-few-cosmetic-flaws high-end saddle?

Keeping in mind that the USED one has been "tried" and fits the horse and rider perfectly but is of "scratch and dent" quality. Passed the vet check and is given thumbs up by the Trainer.

NEW model is ordered with the hope that it fits horse and rider (fingers crossed) and there was not a comparable model to "try" prior to ordering. It's not the same high-end leather and design but still a good saddle.

Sparkly and new OR proven and used?

I'd go with the used one, as long as it's in decent shape.

Cosmetic flaws are no big deal. Although it's already seen some use, it's probably a little better made, and will last longer overall and might be easier to fix / replace parts on than the lesser model.

And with the used one, you won't have to be too upset if you end up stuck out in the rain

Used in decent shape, for sure. I hate buying new ones, I rode in a brand new childeric and hated it, rode in a used one and loved it, bought one because of it. I had initially bought a decent new mid range (pessoa a/o), however I severely regret not buying a used one of higher quality initially.

used high end saddle will hold its value mid range saddle will not hold it's value as well.
    Last edited by NYCGIRL; Nov. 1, 2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: left something out

I would definitely pick the used saddle!

Higher end used, no question.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Higher end used (in good condition) every time. Bonus: I've bought a few over the years, and have always been able to resell for at least what I paid, sometimes more!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Used saddle for sure... Will keep its value much better than the mid-range saddle. I wouldn't gamble the saddle fit for you and your horse.

Not to mention, you won't cry when the first scratch happens.

That said - whichever one fits your horse best and puts you in the best position.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Used high-end.

the one that fits is ALWAYS the one to go with
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

High-end used. I bought one earlier this year and I'm so happy that I bought a nicer quality used saddle, than so cheapo new one.

Used high end. Absolutely.

Higher-end used. Something else to think about: higher-end saddles usually are wool-flocked, allowing them to be adjusted and refitted as your horse's body changes.
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a horse.

No question, high-end used. Top quality leather and stitching found on high-end saddles can last a lifetime if you take care of it properly! And also, if you ever need to re-sell, you'll likely get back your entire (used) purchase price because they hold their value so well.

i vote for proven used and most important BROKEN IN! http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...s/winkgrin.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    the one that fits is ALWAYS the one to go with
    Yup. Though if they both fit the horse and rider, I'd probably go with the higher end used one. I love used saddles that are already broken in. However, I also think that some so-called higher end saddles really aren't that great, so depending on the so-called mid-range priced brand, I would consider going with that one instead.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I went with the used one when I was making the same decision and I've never regretted it. I LOVE my saddle. It's so much more comfortable than any of the mid-grade saddles I've had or ridden in before. And I didn't feel like I had to treat it like glass so I wouldn't wreck it.

I've done both.

Buy the used high-end saddle. You won't regret it...I promise!! Not only do I ride more securely (better balance) but I'll get a better resale price if I need to sell it. Plus you won't have to break it in!