And yes, this is probably the WRONG place to ask, but I don't have enough experience with youngsters to spot if she's correct enough to race sound for a while or a breakdown waiting to happen, so would like an honest opinion of the filly's conformation for a coming 2 year old.
I wouldn't give anyone any money without seeing her in person and working would be even better. Is that all the money they are going to expect from you or would that change and for what reason. Have they done this before (probably so) and how sucessful was it. Who makes the decisions? Probably not a group decision. She looks sweet but it's hard for me to see flaws in pictures. My husband was one of 12 guys and we had the best time going to the races and watching what ever horse they had at the time. We bought the last filly they raced for our foundation broodmare after she got hurt.
I think it is a very low risk way to get started in the TB business. You would only own 5% of the horse outlay for expenses should be relatively low but then so will your percentage of earnings if any. I am not sure how they handle things like what to do with her after she retires and if you still own 5% then too. You may want to ask about that part since they could decide to breed her and then you will owe part of the stud fee and foal expenses too. She does have residual value as a broodmare if they want to sell her as such to dissolve the partnership at some point.
I'm probably considering it more for the fun aspect than as an investment, but I also don't want to deal with the heartbreak of seeing her break down on the track. I know that's never a sure thing, but I also don't want to get involved if anyone sees any glaring or obvious conformation issues that might make a breakdown more likely. I guess the only way to reassure myself is to go see her in person and watch her go under saddle.
Wondering why you would think posting this in the racing section would be the wrong thing to do?
LOL,Only because I figured the racing forum would be the ultimate place for enabling!
Oh, and to answer the question whether or not these folks have ever done this before... yes, Josh and Mike Ponns are reputable people and have been around a very long time.
I am acquainted with Country Life. Trav was an Allen's Prospect son, so I talked with them a few times when I first got him to get background information, etc. They were really helpful and I've followed their stallions for years, even won some bets on their babies, which is how I knew about the partnership offering. Thanks for the reminder that costs will probably start to go up when she first gets to the track unless she shows lots of talent very early on.
I agree about the long pasterns, although I don't find them to be all that unusual for a big girl bred for speed, but the LF looks a little wonky in a few of the pics. I'll guess I'll have to think about it for a few days, and if Mr. T doesn't blow a gasket, I'll give a them a call, ask some intelligent questions, and go see her in person if I can afford the answers.
The costs are too high, the upfront money is too much, and the risk is too high. Bad deal for you, run away.
Racing is all about risk but I don't know where else someone could get a 1/10th share in a Malibu Moon filly for $5000. That $50,000 is lower than maybe 80 % of the sales prices for the yearlings by Malibu Moon and the cost of monthly training is reasonable as racing goes.
She looks immature and like a late bloomer. I don't think she looks "fast" or like a 2 yr old if you are worried about a quick return of your investment. I have a feeling she is back or at least flat through her knees, which doesn't affect speed but could be a soundness issue. But she is scopey and athletic looking and a 1/2 share investment is no massive risk! Also, the Pons are wonderful and honest people.
she foaled in 2009, so doesn't that make her a 2 year old on Jan 1, 2011? I will give the Pons a call tomorrow and take it from there. The upfront cost is pretty low, as well as the monthly contribution.
Pa has decent purses, so she's going to the right place to race. If you want to get your feet wet without jumping in the pool all at once, I would say go with a partnership! Just remember that she will run mostly in Pa, so she wont be local. If you like her, I say go for it (enabling here).
Trevelyan96, NOBODY WANTS to have to deal with horses getting injured or breaking down in training or in competition. Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that you will not have to deal with this, even with the best of trainers and the best of care. It is part of racing, along with the highs of watching your young horse train well, compete, and possibly win a race every now and again. One does not want to dwell on the negatives, but do not be surprised when something like this happens, because they do happen. And when they happen, you will go from the highest of highs, to the worst day of your life all in an instant.
As a rule, I do not like partnerships as I always like to have full control of decisions made. But they are a decent way to have some fun, and enter the racing industry without a big financial outlay. These people would be good ones to be involved with I think. The horse will be whatever she will be. Good luck!
It can be a long way from a yearling to the races. I have put together a couple of syndicates, but like to get them started so there can be some racing action/purses for the participants.
However, that being said, it might be fun for you to have something to look forward to. I would never, however, invest without looking, and preferably with a trainer who is experienced at developing and racing young horses.
I love that she is Del certified and Pa eligible as well. Those races are a bit easier than open races---and better purses.
Agree pasterns a little long...plus the point of her hocks sit a bit high on the joint.
Her first and second dam did not have longevity to their careers, nor did they produce any black type...so if you have to breed her, her babies might not have a lot of commercial value (depending of course what the other sibling do in the meantime). Racehorses are a krapshoot, SO, you could "get lucky" (as we say). At her young age, race training before racing could be a year.
I like the look out of her eye--Good luck whatever you choose to do!!
No, you aren't nuts. Horse racing needs more owners so if you choose to get involved, joining a partnership is a great way.
Just make sure you do your homework on this whole thing and make sure you completely understand how things are set up financially.
First question I would ask myself: is this filly worth $50k? Since it's 10 shares, with CL keeping one share, at $5k per then CL has valued her at $50k. Would you buy her for $50k?
Next thing is to ask if it's worth giving 10% of all purse earnings away to CL each time she runs. Frankly, while that doesn't seem like a lot of money, it adds up pretty quickly if you get lucky and the horse starts winning. You'll give 10% to the jock, 10% to the trainer, and 10% to CL for each win - frankly, that really limits your opportunity to ever break even or to profit. IMHO, no partnership manager does enough to earn 10% of purses. Or, at least, there should be a cap on the maximum amount per race i.e., 10% up to $300 per race. In addition to the 10% CL will take, they'll also charge a flat fee of $150 per month for management. What does that "management fee" cover? Tax prep? Or is that extra? Office supplies? PP's on race day? Win photos? or, are they extra? Videos? Photos?
Maybe some other questions to ask:
1) Will each member of the partnership be required to be licensed? The answer should be yes because each 1/2 share is 5% of the horse, and most jurisdictions require licensing for owners having 3% or more ownership.
2) If the horse races away from PA, will management cover their own expenses for travel, lodging, meals, etc - or will the partners have to pay for management's travel?
3) Will partners be granted access to view all bills that come into the partnership?
4) How frequently will updates of the financial information (earning/expenses) be given to the partners? Monthly? Quarterly?
If you are comfortable with the answers you receive, I hope you join in the fun. But, if they balk at supplying any info you ask for, run away.
Well, I did work up the nerve to discuss with Mr. T. Surprisingly enough, he was 'intrigued' at first, but he's also a cold hard realist. So he crunched the numbers for me and pointed out that although I can afford it, I'll have to keep working full time to pay my share, as he's not interested in investing in a race horse. I was hoping to cut back to a part time or local, lower paying job next year so that I have more time at home, and to ride, etc.